Spider-Man Ride Patent for DLR

mickEblu

Original Poster
FJ has actual scenes and the projection domes actually "take" you somewhere and serve a purpose; Gringott's doesn't even do that. The loading area for Gringott's is really gorgeous and fantastic, but the ride itself doesn't feel immersive to me.

Ok so where is our version of SDL's pirates? That better be the Battle Escape attraction at SWL.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I have a feeling that's what either the Spider-Man ride or Avengers attractions will be, high tech versions of classic rides.

That would be awesome. I hope for at least the Avengers attraction that we are anywhere but a big city. With that said, I suppose with a good story, special effects and most importantly if the ride is fun, it shouldn't matter as much.

Travel Junkie

Gringott's is a terrible attraction. The ride system is fun, but it's a glorified coaster that parks you in front of giant SCREENZ where actors just yell at you incomprehensibly until it's time to move to the next SCREENZ. The only fun parts are when the ride is in motion careening through what little sets were constructed. I find FJ to be a far superior attraction in every way FWIW.

If Disney goes with a Gringott's-esque system for any new attractions, I hope they'd build more sets and scenes and figures instead of just the park-and-bark routine Universal has settled into.

I'm not as down on Gringott's as you, but it is not in the same class as FJ. The ride system has a lot of potential and I think one of the flaws is they didn't use it properly. If Disney used it or something similar with Marvel it could be something pretty great.

I see part of the problem with Universal's attractions over the last few years being the queue's are superior to the ride. You have a big build up and then are let down by the ride. It's like going through the Indy queue only to ride Gadget's go coaster.

D

Deleted member 107043

Gringott's is a terrible attraction. The ride system is fun, but it's a glorified coaster that parks you in front of giant SCREENZ where actors just yell at you incomprehensibly until it's time to move to the next SCREENZ. The only fun parts are when the ride is in motion careening through what little sets were constructed. I find FJ to be a far superior attraction in every way FWIW.

If Disney goes with a Gringott's-esque system for any new attractions, I hope they'd build more sets and scenes and figures instead of just the park-and-bark routine Universal has settled into.

I watched a POV video of the ride earlier this year and my impression was that the show elements probably won't age well, which is generally the case with most attractions Universal produces.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I seem to be of the opposite opinion of recent posters: I would rank Gringott's ahead of FJ.

I found the set pieces of FJ to be laughbably poor... mannequins on a stick; totally fake spiders. I also found the dome projections to be good, but not amazing... it was very clear I was watching a movie projected on a dome. And the movements of the ride had a lot more shaking around than necessary to try to make it exciting.

Whereas, Gringott's sets were very well done (although, too static), the 3D was pretty good all around, and there were no unnecessary shaking of the guests... all the more thrilling movements were done in sync with the action.

dweezil78

I seem to be of the opposite opinion of recent posters: I would rank Gringott's ahead of FJ.

I found the set pieces of FJ to be laughbably poor... mannequins on a stick; totally fake spiders. I also found the dome projections to be good, but not amazing... it was very clear I was watching a movie projected on a dome. And the movements of the ride had a lot more shaking around than necessary to try to make it exciting.

I've only been on the USH version of FJ and never been on Gringott's, but I thought the physical sets on FJ were perfectly adequate for the very brief glimpses you get of them. If you were stopped with lights on I'm sure it'd be a different story, but when you're in the moment I felt they were surprisingly effective and creepy. The domes on the other hand are awful and far to chaotic to comprehend what's going on -- the same criticism I have with Transformers.

Professortango1

I loved Gringotts. The way the sections of the track move is brilliant. I do wish there was a longer coaster sequence sandwiched in there. Much better than FJ.

mickEblu

Original Poster
A patent being filed doesn’t mean this is for anything in active development. Disney has plenty of ride system patents that were never intended to be built.

It may not be up being this exact ride system but it definitely looks like a Spider-Man attraction is coming to DLR in some form between the D23 announcements and this leaked patent.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 107043

It may not be up being this exact ride system but it definitely looks like a Spider-Man attraction is coming to DLR in some form between the D23 announcements and leaked patents.

But what about this?

dba1w-vumaafjpp.jpg

mickEblu

Original Poster
But what about this?

dba1w-vumaafjpp.jpg

Haha Oh yes who can forget the failed Easter egg/ publicity stunt. The Avengers Coaster is coming too. We heard about that one way before we ever heard of Spider-Man being on the table. It's crazy that there might be 3 E tickets in Marvel land. I had seen speculations that Spider-Man would be a D ticket but if it's anything like the patent shows that should be a definite E.

lazyboy97o

It may not be up being this exact ride system but it definitely looks like a Spider-Man attraction is coming to DLR in some form between the D23 announcements and leaked patents.
The patent was not leaked, it was published by the US Patent Office as is done with all patents. A ride system patent by Disney should really be treated as evidence of nothing coming to the parks. You're getting excited for something with little basis, you might as well go find Twitter's latest fake insider to follow.

mickEblu

Original Poster
The patent was not leaked, it was published by the US Patent Office as is done with all patents. A ride system patent by Disney should really be treated as evidence of nothing coming to the parks. You're getting excited for something with little basis, you might as well go find Twitter's latest fake insider to follow.

Why should it be treated as evidence that nothing is coming to the parks? So in your opinion, a Spider-Man ride is most likely NOT coming to the parks? Even though Disney announced something at D23 and a patent is out there floating around? Sure, ok, that's the smart bet. :cautious:

lazyboy97o

Why should it be treated as evidence that nothing is coming to the parks? So in your opinion, a Spider-Man ride is most likely NOT coming to the parks? Even though Disney announced something at D23 and a patent is out there floating around? Ok, that's the smart bet. :cautious:
Because of past history. Patents don't float around. This was not a leak. Every single patent gets published and this is not something new, even for Disney. This would be a big exception to the pattern. Disney files patents for ride systems and doesn't intend to build them. This is nothing new. This is completely normal. Disney filing for a patent and it being part of an unannounced, impending project would be new, would be abnormal.

As an example, the patent related to Mater's Junkyard Jamboree was not filed until 2008. That would be after the Cars Land announcement in 2007.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Because of past history. Patents don't float around. This was not a leak. Every single patent gets published and this is not something new, even for Disney. This would be a big exception to the pattern. Disney files patents for ride systems and doesn't intend to build them. This is nothing new. This is completely normal. Disney filing for a patent and it being part of an unannounced, impending project would be new, would be abnormal.

As an example, the patent related to Mater's Junkyard Jamboree was not filed until 2008. That would be after the Cars Land announcement in 2007.

Ok maybe leak was the wrong word but common sense tells me that there is a higher chance of a Spider-Man attraction coming to DLR then not. Even if it's not exactly what's in the patent. The patent in conjunction with the D23 announcement kind of bumps up the odds no?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom