Spider-Man Ride Patent for DLR

Practical Pig

People get excited because they think there is credibility behind a story. Do you get excited for every supposed attraction regardless of source?

I'm a people. I speculated about a possible park use of this patent earlier in the thread knowing full well that it was only a patent, not a plan, and that the filing of it didn't mean squat as far as any probable park development. Have you considered the possibility that the people enjoying their recreational time speculating about a Disney patent on a Disney fan forum may need your guidance less than you think? ;)

Last edited:

No Name

Can you give me examples of rides that you participate in and what that participation entails?

World of Motion, Horizons, and Energy were key examples "passive," non-participatory rides. And their replacements are all "active," participatory rides.

In the former three, there's an imaginary wall between you and the ride scenes. The people in the ride don't recognize your existence, and you don't have a role in a direct storyline. In the latter three, your existence is certainly recongized, and you have a role in a direct storyline. You're a test dummy in a test vehicle (or used to be) on Test Track, you're training to be an astronaut on Mission Space, and you will do something on the GotG coaster. This is the death of the original Epcot Center, an important time in theme park history! It wasn't just about thrill rides or IP, it was about active rides. The thought that guests prefer active rides is what led to Journey into Imagination being destroyed and replaced by Journey into YOUR Imagination.

In most cases, it's more of a spectrum than an absolute "this is passive" or "this is active." But there's the answer to your question.

Last edited:

No Name

Because I feel like continuing instead of going to sleep at this wee hour, let me mention how Snow White's (Scary) Adventures is also a pivotal ride in theme park history. In the original attraction, riders were supposed to be Snow White herself, that's why she wasn't anywhere to be seen. People didn't totally get this, and the ride was changed for a variety of reasons. You now see Snow White instead of actually being her, and it's far more passive than it originally was. No rides, to my knowledge, have riders being a popular character anymore.

So, on the topic of this thread, I imagine you would be swinging on webs alongside Spider Man, not actually being Spider Man. But it would be active, as you would be partaking in the action. While variety is very valuable, that's the kind of ride that generally seems most popular.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
History reveals patterns. Number 2 seems to be the biggest issue that is misunderstood about Disney and it is demonstrated through history. Disney does do research and development outside of plans for a public application. Disney even has Disney Research, a pure research and development group that has no consumer facing business.
History doesn't reveal patterns, people see patterns in history to craft a discussion. History doesn't reveal anything other than something that happened in the past. And typically history isn't as accurate as some make it out to be.

While Disney does have a research division, called Disney Research, they don't typically work on ride systems. So just a pure research project this is likely not.

People get excited because they think there is credibility behind a story. Do you get excited for every supposed attraction regardless of source?
I don't think anyone here has put any credibility behind the story. I think everyone is looking at it as a rumor, like hey lets discuss knowing that its very possible this isn't going to come true or even could be for something completely different.

Then it would be an anomaly.
No it would not be an anomaly, it would just be something that you personally haven't seen. I'm sure there are plenty of Disney ride systems patents that have been filed and came to be in the parks. There would have to be otherwise we likely wouldn't have any of the attractions that we do today.

I think everyone here understands this is just a patent filing not an announcement.

TwilightZone

The thought that guests prefer active rides is what led to Journey into Imagination being destroyed and replaced by Journey into YOUR Imagination.
Actually the original journey into imagination was an active ride, both dreamfinder and figment acknowledge the riders at the beginning of the ride. The real reason why jii was replaced by jiyi is because of contract reasons. But going further than that the reason figment and dreamfinder are gone in jiyi was because they were thought of as no longer being cool and hip, which is actually a good assumption to make during that time period. You have to remember during the 90s, what sold were cool and hip mascots like sonic the hedgehog, cutesy mascots like figment, my little ponies, and barney just simply weren't seen as cool to the target demographic disney was trying to attract, teenagers.

D

Deleted member 107043

Actually the original journey into imagination was an active ride, both dreamfinder and figment acknowledge the riders at the beginning of the ride. The real reason why jii was replaced by jiyi is because of contract reasons. But going further than that the reason figment and dreamfinder are gone in jiyi was because they were thought of as no longer being cool and hip, which is actually a good assumption to make during that time period. You have to remember during the 90s, what sold were cool and hip mascots like sonic the hedgehog, cutesy mascots like figment, my little ponies, and barney just simply weren't seen as cool to the target demographic disney was trying to attract, teenagers.

Disney needs to just stop with the "we want to attract teens" nonsense. It makes them seem desperate.

No Name

Yes certainly, and part of the 90s idea of a hip and cool ride determined that you should be put into some sort of direct story. I don't know what contract reason you are referring to except that the contract was about to expire and they wanted something new, much like each time GM's has renewed.

You're right that they acknowledge you at the beginning. But that doesn't make it super active... guests were still passively watching like you passively watch a movie, and didn't have a role in a storyline, if I'm remembering correctly. I was young.

TwilightZone

I don't know what contract reason you are referring to except that the contract was about to expire and they wanted something new, much like each time GM's has renewed.
Yeah that's the contract reasons I was referring to
You're right that they acknowledge you at the beginning. But that doesn't make it super active... guests were still passively watching like you passively watch a movie, and didn't have a role in a storyline, if I'm remembering correctly. I was young.
Yeah, that's true. That gives journey into imagination an interesting situation. Most of the ride is passive, but the characters do acknowledge you. Most passive rides don't have that happen.

TwilightZone

If they want to attract more teens, they just need to create more designated selfie spots and snapchat filters. Honestly, do teens even go on attractions anymore apart from taking photos or videos???
shh...don't tell anyone, but.. I'm a teen. I still appreciate the rides and I hate smartphones and snapchat. Maybe I'm a hipster teen. Or maybe I'm just a sensible one. who knows

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom