Spending money

melnjross

Original Poster
I am sure this topic is elsewhere but I am unable to locate so I apologize in advance for the repeat. I haven't been to Disneyworld in close to 25 years. I have no idea how to judge how much things cost. We are staying a week and we have already purchased park hoppers and the dining plan so that is covered, but as far as breakfast and just spending money in general, is there an estimate someone can give me from experience, say per day? We are flying in so we are unable to drive to stock drinks etc...I am just not sure what to expect. I hear some talk about tipping housekeeping. Those are the type things I probably would not have thought about if I had not read it. Any input would be appeciated.

DisneyMusician2

I usually keep about $20-30 a day for my gift shop splurges, and maybe a bit for some breakfast. Some days, I don't spend any of it, other days a go though a couple of days worth. As far as tipping housekeeping, there are many opinions. I try to leave something...nothing too massive though.

RiversideBunny

One thing that may help you, so you don't have to carry cash, is that if you are staying in a true Disney resort then you can charge almost everything to your room. Then pay when you are checking out.
We always take about a $100 each in cash, just in case, but end up bringing most of it home.

You may also want to look at the planning section in 'Passporter 2007' which is available at amazon.com. That's my favorite WDW travel guide.

:) :)

phichi17

One thing that may help you, so you don't have to carry cash, is that if you are staying in a true Disney resort then you can charge almost everything to your room. Then pay when you are checking out.
We always take about a $100 each in cash, just in case, but end up bringing most of it home.

You may also want to look at the planning section in 'Passporter 2007' which is available at amazon.com. That's my favorite WDW travel guide.

:) :)
Just be careful, you can really rack up the charges like this! It is very easy to spend money in WDW.

Since you are on the DDP, have you considered using a snack credit for your b-fast?

WDWGuide

It really depends on your preferences. You can get by with virtually no extra spending (maybe $10 or so a day per person for an extra snack and drinks - it's crucial to stay hydrated), to well over $100 per person per day if you are a generous tipper and stock up on expensive souvenirs (we are talking about a place where two pairs of socks sell for $20).

I would suggest using a good rewards credit card for most of your extra spending (getting cash back or points is always good) and carrying maybe $40 or so in cash with you each day for the few places that do not take cards (you probably won't spend all of that each day).

maelstrom

Everything in WDW is expensive. T-Shirts are $15-$40 depending on the style, cut, size, etc. Breakfast can be expensive too depending on where you eat. Not everyone tips housekeeping and that's alright. We never do (well, once). The accepted amount is $1/person/day. And leave a tip everyday instead of one big one at the end as you may have a different housekeeper each day. So, WDW souvenirs are expensive and you're going to want to buy a lot. Oh, and pins! Pins will run you dry so just stay away.

beanbunny

Don't worry about $ for breakfast - with the dining plan, you'll never want to eat breakfast! We just planned on having lunch at 11:00 and then an early dinner - make sure to make your reservations ASAP!! As for drinks, purchase a mug at the resort - that will give you unlimited "free" beverages plus a great souvenir! Magical Express will take care of getting you to your resort. As for spending $, that's another question. It all depends on what you're looking for. We always spend too much but, oh, well, after all, it's Disney!! :sohappy:

On average (not including meals) we budget around 130-150 per day on “stuff” in the parks (2 people). Sometimes we take all of the money at the end of the trip and purchase a very nice collectable, etc.

tink81

I would budget about $50 a day for trinkets and extra drinks (or take a Brita water bottle and fill it up at the water fountains around the parks). Since you have the dining plan (way to go!) may I offer this suggestion: don't waste a snack option on a drink. If you look at all the options for snacks on the menus, you will see it is really silly to get a drink, purchase it out of pocket.

I would suggest that you spend the first few days of your trip scouting out the shops for souveniers and purchase what you like before you leave. This is especially helpful if you are trying to stay within a budget.

wdwmomof3

When we went to Disney this last time we were also on the dining plan. With that being said we still spent a little on food but not much, about twenty dollars a day. I would get the refillable mugs at the resort for ten dollars. They make a great souvenir and cut the cost of your drinks while you are there.

As far as souvenirs go, we gave each child seventy five dollars to spend on anything that they wanted. When they are spending their money they are a little more careful on what they use their money for. This really helped us.

You will love the dining plan. This alone saved us a lot of money. I think that if you have about 100.00 a day you will take most of it home with you. Have a wonderful trip:lol:

BRER DAD

With the dining plan you wont be spending much on food. Breakfast can be quick and very cheap. I usally buy bulk snacks (fruit and cereal bars, little boxes of cereal, things the kids can snack on) before I leave and pack them in the luggage. This seems to really help. I get the kids 100 dollars in disney dollars to spend while were there, they love getting them as birthday gifts. But everybodys about right, 100 dollars a day. Have a safe trip and have fun. :wave:

BRER DAD

With the dining plan you wont be spending much on food. Breakfast can be quick and very cheap. I usally buy bulk snacks (fruit and cereal bars, little boxes of cereal, things the kids can snack on) before I leave and pack them in the luggage. This seems to really help. I get the kids 100 dollars in disney dollars to spend while were there, they love getting them as birthday gifts. But everybodys about right, 100 dollars a day. Have a safe trip and have fun. :wave:

lilclerk

I spent less than $200 last month, and we were there for a week. And most of what I bought was souveniers for my nephews. I got myself 2 mugs, and a Muppet alarm clock. :shrug: And the only time I payed for any food OOP was the popcorn I got before Wishes when their card machine was down, so I couldn't use a snack credit.

On the DDP, we would get an early lunch and an early dinner, with a possible snack later on. It worked out really well, and if we actually ended up with 14 snacks left on our last day which we used to buy bags of chips for the ride home.

Also I think a general mousekeeping tip is $1/per person/per day. So we would leave $3/day.

melnjross

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks to everyone who repsonded. I received some great advice I would have otherwise not considered! Thanks again :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom