Is it just me or is the speedway the most tackiest part of magic kingdom
- Disagree

It's not fun to ride
- Disagree

It's just such a waste of space
- Disagree

I really feel it needs to go
- Disagree

You're certainly welcome to your opinion, but many will disagree with you. I have enjoyed the ride in the past. My kids have enjoyed it. Many others enjoy it. Just because you don't like a certain attraction, doesn't mean it should be yanked out. Don't like it? Do something else. There are attractions I don't care for that others do. Good for them. Disney World wasn't built for you alone.

dmw

In the Parks
No
THIS

It is a family ride. Little ones need something. My kids enjoyed it when they were small. Pretending to drive the car was exciting. Not every attraction has to be aimed at adults. Clean it up and new cars would be nice.
New, electric vehicles that are futuristic looking would be ideal. My grandson loved driving the cars at Dollywood last month. The cars are on a track similar to the MK Speedway. Even though the cars at Dollywood are retro (50's), they are all electric, and a constant speed. This type of change to electric (battery) vehicles seems so simple. Upgrade the theming to "Drivers of Tomorrow" with a theme that matches the main street of Tomorrowland... that would be a winner for me!

Goofyernmost

New, electric vehicles that are futuristic looking would be ideal. My grandson loved driving the cars at Dollywood last month. The cars are on a track similar to the MK Speedway. Even though the cars at Dollywood are retro (50's), they are all electric, and a constant speed. This type of change to electric (battery) vehicles seems so simple. Upgrade the theming to "Drivers of Tomorrow" with a theme that matches the main street of Tomorrowland... that would be a winner for me!
Electric cars could even duplicate the sound of an actual auto. So to all you old "get off my lawn" people, just put up with it., It really isn't affecting you at all. They can run the electric part on the steering track or batteries. I know my kids loved it when they were really young. And then they took their kids on it, Tomorrowland was also the perfect place for it because for those kids that was their tomorrow that they could feel part of at an early age.

Kamikaze

Now that the deal fell through, Elon Musk gets together with a group of investors and buys Disney…speedway sponsored by Tesla with electric cars, Astro Orbiter and M:S sponsored by Space-X…am I dreaming? Yup, but imagine the possibilities…
Musk is trash. And has no capital. Its why he can't buy Twitter.

I'd rather Comcast or the Saudis have bought or heavily invested in Disney than the 'marketing genius' that is Elon Musk.

Smiley/OCD

Musk is trash. And has no capital. Its why he can't buy Twitter.

I'd rather Comcast or the Saudis have bought or heavily invested in Disney than the 'marketing genius' that is Elon Musk.
That’s your opinion and you know what they say about opinions…
I hate my cable company, Comcast…
And lastly, so you want to go from the super woke Disney, to sell to the Saudis who hate women and gays…yeah, that’ll go over REAL WELL…

Mireille

Premium Member
This just goes to show you that there's a segment that loves pretty much everything at MK. I don't care about Speedway at all and can't remember the last time I rode it... maybe 2003? But I would be heartbroken if CoP or PeopleMover were ever shut down. HEARTBROKEN!

But I agree they really need to get away from the noisy, gas-powered engines. Electric vehicles sound like an easy switch but I suspect it's a pretty heavy lift to swap out cars. I don't know how big a battery those small cars could use, how long they could retain a charge, if they would have to have extra vehicles to keep enough cars running on the track while others charge... Maybe some sort of charging strip built into the track to let them charge while they drive? I don't know how they'd do it, and it sure wouldn't be cheap.

graphite1326

This just goes to show you that there's a segment that loves pretty much everything at MK. I don't care about Speedway at all and can't remember the last time I rode it... maybe 2003? But I would be heartbroken if CoP or PeopleMover were ever shut down. HEARTBROKEN!

But I agree they really need to get away from the noisy, gas-powered engines. Electric vehicles sound like an easy switch but I suspect it's a pretty heavy lift to swap out cars. I don't know how big a battery those small cars could use, how long they could retain a charge, if they would have to have extra vehicles to keep enough cars running on the track while others charge... Maybe some sort of charging strip built into the track to let them charge while they drive? I don't know how they'd do it, and it sure wouldn't be cheap.
I thought they were LP powered.

Mireille

Premium Member
I thought they were LP powered.
Maybe, I have no idea. I just assumed it was gas cuz it's loud and it stinks. I just know I see a lot of suggestions of going electric, and I agree, but I think it's probably costlier and more difficult than most people think for a pretty low-tech, low-thrill ride.

SteveAZee

It seems like MK got the Speedway/Raceway from the beginning because Disneyland had it from its beginning in 1955... which back then might have seemed cool and futuristic-ish. Putting nostalgia aside for a minute, this seems both out of place in Tomorrowland but also it's not really that much more Disney-fied than just having a racetrack... and there are a lot of motoring tracks for all ages (two within 10 miles of me). It seems like a better use of the space can be made, though I suppose some of us don't trust current management to do anything actually interesting with the space.

Bringing nostalgia back in... I remember it from my first trip in 1973. It seemed cool and interesting (before I got my license to drive an actual car) but the lines and the smell weren't great and I preferred other things in the park. I've brought my kids and they liked it, but it's not a draw for them. Perhaps with grandkids it'll be something to do when they come along as well. It doesn't tug at me as a uniquely interesting, special, or memorable DISNEY thing to do, though.

It's a big footprint. If something better comes along to fill the space, especially something well done, themed appropriately, and is a good people eater, I'm all for it.

Kamikaze

That’s your opinion and you know what they say about opinions…
I hate my cable company, Comcast…
And lastly, so you want to go from the super woke Disney, to sell to the Saudis who hate women and gays…yeah, that’ll go over REAL WELL…
You know those are the two places that have actually put in bids to buy Disney (or the parks) right? Thats why I used them ...

And its not really an opinion that Musk is just a 'marketing guy'. He doesn't innovate, doesn't invent, doesn't create. He buys (well, more accurately the VCs he's involved with) buys companies with ideas and he becomes the face and markets them.

Smiley/OCD

Yes, and that’s the way it is with just about every company…Walt developed the system that incorporated sound with cartoons and then developed the multi plane camera, but he wasn’t responsible for every innovation in Disney’s early days…in fact, it was his imagineers that turned his ideas into reality between the Worlds Fair and Disneyland. No one ever said Elon walked around the labs at Tesla or Space-X with a lab coat on doing the actual work. That’s the sign of a successful CEO…you surround yourself with great minds and great people and bask in the glory…that’s how it works.

I would take ownership by an Elon Musk, Warren Buffet, hell, even Jeff Bezos at this point compared to the clowns and BoD we have in Anaheim right now…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom