Speed traps at WDW

isitingood

It always slays me when OCS does that. There is far and away enough crime problems in central Florida for them to be sitting on World drive cherrypicking people on vacation or going to work.....I think its weak, and an easy way for them to pad their quotas......ok, I'll get off my soap box.....[/quote\\

Last time I checked speeding was illeagal. I've seen people racing which easily can lead to death's so I applaud the OCS.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Last time I checked speeding was illeagal. I've seen people racing which easily can lead to death's so I applaud the OCS.
With the crime wave that Central Florida is currently experiencing, I tend to disagree with your applause. For me, I'd prefer a more common-sense approach, like the european continent (Well, Germany anyway). Not a no-speed-limit area, but higher, but still prudent, speed limits based on the flow of traffic at the moment.

Personally, I feel that tailgaters are more of a hazard than speeders, yet I'ver never heard of a single person to have been pulled over for following too closely.

isitingood

The Valentine 1 can't detect Vascar. Vascar is used a lot now with the advent of computer controlled camera systems. Vascar observations can be made from police vehicle mounted cameras (cars, motorcycles, airplanes, helicopters, etc.) as well as stationary cameras. You have no defense.

Vascar computations can be made by the observations of a single police officer and a stopwatch without any other gear. Remember, police officers are special high intensity trained observers. Only Chuck Norris can detect Vascar. :wave:

That's correct Woody Radar detecters or Jammers cannot detect Vascar

isitingood

With the crime wave that Central Florida is currently experiencing, I tend to disagree with your applause. For me, I'd prefer a more common-sense approach, like the european continent (Well, Germany anyway). Not a no-speed-limit area, but higher, but still prudent, speed limits based on the flow of traffic at the moment.

Personally, I feel that tailgaters are more of a hazard than speeders, yet I'ver never heard of a single person to have been pulled over for following too closely.

I have seen people pulled over for tailgating in California and one was my friend. Also go to a cold weather city when the roads are bad and you will see people being pulled over for tailgating. The problem is most teenagers cannot handle high speeds more so when they are racing so the Germany approach wouldn't work,that is why in California if you are under 18 you cannot drive alone and since California applied this law they have cut down fatel car wrecks by almost half.

mkt

Premium Member
That's correct Woody Radar detecters or Jammers cannot detect Vascar
True enough... Vascar can't be detected by a radar detector, but since it relies on human input, it is very fallible. Human reaction time alone can cause a variance of more than 33mph based on a 0.124 second reaction time over a "100 foot" clocking attempt. Factor it with the average adult reaction time of .3 seconds, and it will be more of a variance.

Vascar is a tool, but one that can be easily beat in court :)

mkt

Premium Member
I have seen people pulled over for tailgating in California and one was my friend. Also go to a cold weather city when the roads are bad and you will see people being pulled over for tailgating. The problem is most teenagers cannot handle high speeds more so when they are racing so the Germany approach wouldn't work,that is why in California if you are under 18 you cannot drive alone and since California applied this law they have cut down fatel car wrecks by almost half.

Then we should also raise our the driver training standards to those of most western european countries, rather than the "written test+practical test=drivers license" nonsense that we have here.

True Knowledge

To the best of my knowledge, they're contracted out to WDW... given that Al Weiss was the person who requested their presence.
Seems like they could just request or contract it via RCID as they pretty much control it. The OCSO site says that’s how they do it anyway via contract with the district not the company.

But while we are on the subject of speeding at WDW, once Disney security got in a high speed chase with a person, resulting in his death.

mkt

Premium Member
Seems like they could just request or contract it via RCID as they pretty much control it. The OCSO site says that’s how they do it anyway via contract with the district not the company.

But while we are on the subject of speeding at WDW, once Disney security got in a high speed chase with a person, resulting in his death.
Yup, which is why they won't anymore.. it also explains why they have amber lightbars :)

Rabflmom

<<<<The speed traps are really crap and it's taking advantage of absurdly low speed limits and tourists with a lot of money on hand. It's just the state being greedy.>>>>

Also there to catch the CMs who are speeding. If you live in the area you know that several times there have been really bad accidents on property that had deaths and speeding has contributed to that in many cases. Picking up speeders can also find people who are driving under the influence or under drugs. Rules are here for a reason and even vacationers have to live by the rules. It makes it safer for the rest of us on the roads. Tickets anywhere in Florida are very expensive and we all know if you speed and get caught you pay.

mkt

Premium Member
Don't spee dand you won't get a ticket :)
2 of the tickets I got in WDW, were because of Vascar, and I wasn't speeding on either one. Took them both the court, Deputy didn't show up... it seems like a sign that the deputy knew that he was going to lose in court.

Obviously a sign that OCSO is pulling people over that aren't doing anything wrong.

isitingood

2 of the tickets I got in WDW, were because of Vascar, and I wasn't speeding on either one. Took them both the court, Deputy didn't show up... it seems like a sign that the deputy knew that he was going to lose in court.

Obviously a sign that OCSO is pulling people over that aren't doing anything wrong.
The deputy doesn't have to show and they rarely do. Last time I went to court over a ticket I was in the room with 50 people and only 1 police officer showed up so it had nothing to do with him knowing he was going to lose.

isitingood

True enough... Vascar can't be detected by a radar detector, but since it relies on human input, it is very fallible. Human reaction time alone can cause a variance of more than 33mph based on a 0.124 second reaction time over a "100 foot" clocking attempt. Factor it with the average adult reaction time of .3 seconds, and it will be more of a variance.

Vascar is a tool, but one that can be easily beat in court :)

You're right it can be beat but so can laser and rader it just depends on the situation:wave:

Tim G

I still dont understand how OCS can enforce speed laws on the roads within Disney property. Traffic laws only apply to public roads. Not to mention speed trapping in general is a bunch of crap. Speed doesn't kill, wreckless driving, and not letting road conditions dictate do. Most freeway speed limits, except in the VERY most congested areas of the country could easily be 10-20mph higher with few problems.... /soapbox

:lookaroun :lookaroun :lookaroun :hammer:

isitingood

I still dont understand how OCS can enforce speed laws on the roads within Disney property. Traffic laws only apply to public roads. Not to mention speed trapping in general is a bunch of crap. Speed doesn't kill, wreckless driving, and not letting road conditions dictate do. Most freeway speed limits, except in the VERY most congested areas of the country could easily be 10-20mph higher with few problems.... /soapbox

What are you talking about? 20mph over the speed limit in most states is reckless driving and even if you up the speed limit by 10 to 20mph people will still be going 10 to 20mph over the speed limit which would result in even more accidents

mkt

Premium Member
The deputy doesn't have to show and they rarely do. Last time I went to court over a ticket I was in the room with 50 people and only 1 police officer showed up so it had nothing to do with him knowing he was going to lose.
In Florida they are required to appear if you contest the ticket :)

If they don't show up, the charges are dismissed and the officer can get in trouble for this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom