Speed traps at WDW

WDW FAN 4 LIFE

Original Poster
I remember reading somewhere that last August Walt Disney World was going to have speed traps at various places around their property. I remember seeing a cop car around Epcot one time at night last August & I think I saw another car last December, expect I forget where my family & I were driving to. Anyway I wondering is it true that if you are stoped at WDW the fine is over $200, because that is what some people have told me & if WDW plans to continue with the speed traps, or was it even their idea to have them in the 1st place?

napnet

I've seen a few people pulled over by OCS... but i think i remember reading that OCS is going to patrol the roads more frequently since its 'under their jurisdiction' but i could be wrong. I would bet tehy would have more speed traps since lots of people speed there.

ThumpersThought

The speed traps are totally up to OCS and not Disney. They are still quite active... rarely a night goes by where I don't see a few people pulled over. Fines would be whatever Florida and Orange County laws say (having not been pulled over, I can't tell you what they are!) -- but it's going to depend on what you're doing.

WDW FAN 4 LIFE

Original Poster
If a speeding ticket at Walt Disney World is like $250.00, it could cost more then a night at the All Star or Pop Century Resorts LOL.

Lodgeman

It always slays me when OCS does that. There is far and away enough crime problems in central Florida for them to be sitting on World drive cherrypicking people on vacation or going to work.....I think its weak, and an easy way for them to pad their quotas......ok, I'll get off my soap box.....

MrNonacho

Premium Member
Lodgeman said:
It always slays me when OCS does that. There is far and away enough crime problems in central Florida for them to be sitting on World drive cherrypicking people on vacation or going to work.....I think its weak, and an easy way for them to pad their quotas......ok, I'll get off my soap box.....

So just because people are on vacation they shouldn't have to obey traffic laws?

napnet

Lodgeman said:

There have been enough vacation ending accidents on the property that i think OCS is doing a good job. Twice i have seen wrecks on World Dr that i was surprised if anyone lived...

Coastercameron

I still dont understand how OCS can enforce speed laws on the roads within Disney property. Traffic laws only apply to public roads. Not to mention speed trapping in general is a bunch of crap. Speed doesn't kill, wreckless driving, and not letting road conditions dictate do. Most freeway speed limits, except in the VERY most congested areas of the country could easily be 10-20mph higher with few problems.... /soapbox

bsandersjr

Well, if you don't want a speeding ticket or fine, then don't speed. Besides, you are on vacation...... What's the big hurry?:veryconfu

WDW FAN 4 LIFE

Original Poster
When I told my Dad about this he asked me what if a Disney Transport bus was speeding, would they be pulled over? The only thing I told him was why would a Disney Transport need to speed?

Tim G

Coastercameron said:
I still dont understand how OCS can enforce speed laws on the roads within Disney property. Traffic laws only apply to public roads. Not to mention speed trapping in general is a bunch of crap. Speed doesn't kill, wreckless driving, and not letting road conditions dictate do. Most freeway speed limits, except in the VERY most congested areas of the country could easily be 10-20mph higher with few problems.... /soapbox
World Drive IS a public road, and how about Osceola Pkwy which is public as well... (all the way from Boggy Creeck Road through DAK.. almost through the Lodge...
BTW... The Speed traps are there NOT because of the tourists, but for the locals, ie WDW employees... Some CMs drive like crazy... Ask Rob...
Some call World Drive "the Raceway" I wonder why... :lookaroun :lookaroun

bsandersjr

WDW FAN 4 LIFE said:
When I told my Dad about this he asked me what if a Disney Transport bus was speeding, would they be pulled over? The only thing I told him was why would a Disney Transport need to speed?

I don't think they see Disney vehicles at speed traps.

MissM

Well when you exit off of I-4 and the first area is 35mph, it's utterly absurd. It's just to get people caught for speeding. There's no reason you shouldn't be able to do 45-55mph through there. No buildings, no roads, no cross traffic, four lanes. It's just a joke.

By the way, Florida doesn't report points. So if you are an out-of-state driver, it won't be picked up by your home state. In fact, you can get away with not paying it because your state won't know or suspend your license, but...FL will put a bench warrent out for you if you ever come back and are pulled over again. I know a lot of international visitors who get tickets and don't ever pay them.

The speed traps are really crap and it's taking advantage of absurdly low speed limits and tourists with a lot of money on hand. It's just the state being greedy.
-m

WDW FAN 4 LIFE

Original Poster
bsandersjr said:
I meant they look the other way. :lookaroun
Oh that actually makes sence, although for people who have been caught speeding at WDW, I am sure they would not agree with the cops looking the other way for the buses. Also would that include them looking the other way for off site hotel buses, Mears buses & Magical Express buses?

Tim G

WDW FAN 4 LIFE said:
How could they not see Disney buses, don't they travel all around WDW & wouldn't they be bound to one day pass a cop car?
Most of the Bus drivers are keeping themslves at the ie. (30mile) speed limit... The fine has to come out of their own pockets... and maybe the loss of the job...

bsandersjr

WDW FAN 4 LIFE said:
Oh that actually makes sence, although for people who have been caught speeding at WDW, I am sure they would not agree with the cops looking the other way for the buses. Also would that include them looking the other way for off site hotel buses, Mears buses & Magical Express buses?

True, but with the money Disney pumps into that state...............

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom