Speculation on the SOA and LMA piece of land at Hollywood Studios

SirLink

Based on what?

Based on the fact that as a guy traveling from uk it is cheaper for me to travel to California than Florida these days. Plus I have to travel by plane. If you live in the US, you can travel to California by plane(which to get an internal flight - is ridiculously cheaper than my flight), train or car. You literally have no excuse.

ToTBellHop

Based on the fact that as a guy traveling from uk it is cheaper for me to travel to California than Florida these days. Plus I have to travel by plane. If you live in the US, you can travel to California by plane(which to get an internal flight - is ridiculously cheaper than my flight), train or car. You literally have no excuse.
For someone from the east coast, flights to CA are easily double flights to FL. However, cheaper (nice) hotels can be found in Cali if you are okay staying at a Good Neighbor. So it pretty much breaks even. The only deterrent for me now is that my kids are two and I want them to be 40" first (and able to understand and accommodate the time change so we aren't going to bed at 4 pm and waking up at 4 am).

Last edited:

SirLink

For someone from the east coast, flights to CA are easily double flights to FL. However, cheaper (nice) hotels can be found in Cali if you are okay staying at a Good Neighbor. So it pretty much breaks even. The only deterrent for me now is that my kids are two and I want them to be 40" first (and able to understand and accommodate the time change so we aren't going to bed at 4 pm and waking up at 4 am.

For me it costs £600 to travel to California as opposed to £900 to Florida. I'm taking it your internal flight doesn't cost $750 per person.

Capsin4

I have a family of 6 and it's nearly $3,000 for our 8 hour flights to LAX, but only a couple hours and $1,200 to fly to MCO. Or I drive 12 hours down Interstate 95 and for the price of my flight to LAX, I can visit WDW for a week. I lived in LA for several years and it's just not worth it. Like most things, what's affordable depends on a lot of factors and is rarely comparable across different parties.

You do realize it's a 45 hour drive atleast from the US east coast to LA right? And that trains are usually just as expensive or more so than flights

dstrawn9889

it costs me 70.00 in fuel to drive from GA to Orlando(and back)...

EDIT:::: there, beat you all! i guess i could fly from macon to mco...NOPE not anymore

ATL to MCO is right at 90.00 but i have to travel the WRONG way to atlanta, another hour and a half

ToTBellHop

For me it costs £600 to travel to California as opposed to £900 to Florida. I'm taking it your internal flight doesn't cost $750 per person.
No, but I didn't think it was a competition. I go to WDW more frequently than DL as is the case for most around here, so that's my basis for comparison when I determine the inherent value in a vacation.

SirLink

I have a family of 6 and it's nearly $3,000 for our 8 hour flights to LAX, but only a couple hours and $1,200 to fly to MCO. Or I drive 12 hours down Interstate 95 and for the price of my flight to LAX, I can visit WDW for a week. I lived in LA for several years and it's just not worth it. Like most things, what's affordable depends on a lot of factors and is rarely comparable across different parties.

You do realize it's a 45 hour drive atleast from the US east coast to LA right? And that trains are usually just as expensive or more so than flights

Well take two weeks for your holiday, take 10 days for the travel and have a nice road trip and 4 days at Disneyland ... it always amazes me Americans don't want to travel or use cost as an example. One year don't travel to WDW save that money to go to Disneyland. Or don't go to WDW for several years and visit Japan, etc.

But back on topic SOA will be Pixar area number 2 or is it 3 or could it be technically Pixar themed land 4 in the Studios

Capsin4

Well take two weeks for your holiday, take 10 days for the travel and have a nice road trip and 4 days at Disneyland ... it always amazes me Americans don't want to travel or use cost as an example. One year don't travel to WDW save that money to go to Disneyland. Or don't go to WDW for several years and visit Japan, etc.

But back on topic SOA will be Pixar area number 2 or is it 3 or could it be technically Pixar themed land 4 in the Studios
Probably because we live on a continent with varied local geography and climate and not on a tiny Island.

ToTBellHop

Or 2 and 3 if TSL is 1. Depends on how big each is. A full Carsland would probably take all of that space, but we aren't getting RSR or Mater obviously (since it is in TSL) and I doubt they would commit to the new Luigi w/o seeing how it works, so...I think our Carsland will be smaller than DCA's. There would be space for Monstropolis if they want.

Capsin4

You guys think they'll flesh out the rest of the park with Pixar? Not that I mind, but a SW area and a bunch of Pixar properties would be an odd mix IMO.

ToTBellHop

You guys think they'll flesh out the rest of the park with Pixar? Not that I mind, but a SW area and a bunch of Pixar properties would be an odd mix IMO.
Well, and a couple new shows (Disney, not Pixar or Lucas), ToT, RnRC, GMR, Fantasmic, and whatever replaces Animation. Not that bad honestly.

WildcatDen

Ok, I won't. I'll let Amusement Today's Golden Ticket Awards speak for the industry.
image.jpg
Of course, Golden Ticket also says King's Island has the best kids area for many years straight. Now KI is my home park, but REALLY?

doctornick

For someone from the east coast, flights to CA are easily double flights to FL. However, cheaper (nice) hotels can be found in Cali if you are okay staying at a Good Neighbor. So it pretty much breaks even. The only deterrent for me now is that my kids are two and I want them to be 40" first (and able to understand and accommodate the time change so we aren't going to bed at 4 pm and waking up at 4 am).

Not to nothing, but DLR is -- despite the rep of WDW as being geared to kids -- a easier place to take a 2 year in a stroller. The parks are smaller and easier to get around and you can stay within walking distance without having to rely on buses and other transportation. Easier to go back to the hotel for naps. They have a lot of rides for little ones to do.

doctornick

While I expect the LMA/Canyon/SoA to eventually end up with an additional Pixar theme (or two), I'm hoping we might get some rides/attractions of another type elsewhere in the park (GotG, Indiana Jones, Disney animation, etc.).

ToTBellHop

Not to nothing, but DLR is -- despite the rep of WDW as being geared to kids -- a easier place to take a 2 year in a stroller. The parks are smaller and easier to get around and you can stay within walking distance without having to rely on buses and other transportation. Easier to go back to the hotel for naps. They have a lot of rides for little ones to do.
I see little appeal in flying that far for rides that largely exist in FL. I can't take them into Carsland, most of Paradise Pier, Grizzly, Indy, the mountains, and they won't be able to stay up for fireworks due to jet lag. I'll be sticking with FL for now. My wife and I discussed this at length because I really wanted to come for the 60th, but it's not the right time. Not worth it for a better Pirates and some extra Fantasyland dark rides. Not that they aren't cool.

Brian Swan

Really, NO end to the licencing? It seem like that would have been worked out to evaluate the value of the characters at regular intervals and then continue the contract at a newly arranged fee. Or is it like you have them for 99 years, just pay 'X' amount of dollars each year?

Personally, I don't think WDW needs Marvel when it has so many underdeveloped IP's that are free for them to use. I just pray it that the IP they use next is not Toy Story or Cars. Give the villains some love with a great dark ride/coaster combo. If it has to be Pixar, I hope they use the Incredible's!
I couldn't agree more. I never liked super hero comic books as a kid and I don't especially like them now (although I did like the Ironman and Dark Knight movies). Disney has so many "organic" IPs they have yet to exploit in the parks, I see no real reason to use "acquired" IPs (especially with all the Marvel at USF). As much as I love SW, and AM looking forward to the SW land (personally, I think it should have been a 5th gate), it will never be "Disney" to me. Ditto Indy. Ditto Muppets (both of which I love as IPs)... OK, shoot me now.

Brian Swan

I see little appeal in flying that far for rides that largely exist in FL. I can't take them into Carsland, most of Paradise Pier, Grizzly, Indy, the mountains, and they won't be able to stay up for fireworks due to jet lag. I'll be sticking with FL for now. My wife and I discussed this at length because I really wanted to come for the 60th, but it's not the right time. Not worth it for a better Pirates and some extra Fantasyland dark rides. Not that they aren't cool.
I realize that this is not a WDW vs DL discussion thread, but having spent a roughly equal amount of time in both parks I have to say that it's more than Carsland and a few FL dark rides. For what it's worth, of the 6 US parks, DL is hands down my favorite and MK had long been my least favorite. DHS has now fallen to the bottom.

Brian Swan

What I love about this is we would keep Osbourne lights which is such a draw for Hollywood and unique to the history of the park. I wonder if Disney is considering Monsters inc. it does make sense thematically but Monsters U did not do as well as they hoped although it did do well. I would want more than the ride from Cali though. While cute it's not revolutionary. Although I am rooting for Cars, I would totally be okay with the Door coaster. While I want new rides I would be equally excited with somewhere good to eat at the studio to compliment Star Wars eating locations.
On a side note, the concept art for toy story land: will the slinky dog coaster be that huge? It looks like it goes behind the alien ride but I know concept art can always be deceiving. Thoughts????
As long as they don't change it during the final planning stages, I think it really WILL be that big. There is a very cool simulation of what it might be like to ride it on the Toy Story Land thread

Capsin4

As much DLR lovers want to point out what attractions are better out there, you never hear them talk about castles. Even with the nostalgia, Sleeping Beauty's castle is
I realize that this is not a WDW vs DL discussion thread, but having spent a roughly equal amount of time in both parks I have to say that it's more than Carsland and a few FL dark rides. For what it's worth, of the 6 US parks, DL is hands down my favorite and MK had long been my least favorite. DHS has now fallen to the bottom.
Nostalgia and a whimpy castle?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom