Spectromagic Coming Back??

donaldfan

We skip MSEP after seeing it once now, but always watch Spectro. When we were there in April, the second viewing of MSEP did not have many spectators. (Although I know one night does not make a pattern, just my observation.) MSEP feels too small in the MK -- I think the scale fits better in DisneyLand and the grandness of Spectro fits better into the larger scale of the Magic Kingdom.

I'll be happy to have Spectro back.

Neverland

The rumor among CMs is that it'll be back after the summer, presumably for the 40th. I also talked to someone who 'knows a bunch of entertainment people who do MSEP', and apparently, they're all aware of its departure. There's no official announcement yet, and I don't have much hope for Spectro's return without one.

David S.

Yea Erasures my favorite as well but Yazoo and Depeche are great as well. I was lucky to get to go see Yazoo reconnected a couple years ago, it was awesome! Allison Moyet is fantastic. The innocents and cowboy are my favorites and I cant wait till September for the new album. Did you get your tickets for the tour yet? Im going to the Sept. 16th show in Chicago.

Wow, The Innocents is usually what I list as my favorite Erasure album as well. It flows so well from beginning to end, and nearly every song on it could have been a single! I also love Cowboy. It's really close between that one and a few others for second fave. I also love Wild!, I Say I Say I Say, and I think the self-titled album with the long tracks is awesome as well, with great synth sounds by Vince. But I love them all!

Thanks so much for the reminder/heads up about the US tour. It looks like if I take a short Orlando Labor Day weekend trip, I can catch them at the House Of Blues. If not, they'll be in Houston later that month. They don't appear to be coming to New Orleans, where I live. I've seen them twice, on the Wild! Tour at the Sanger Theatre in New Orleans, and then years later on the Nightbird tour, also in NO at a much smaller venue. (just a few months before hurricane Katrina).

It's so awesome that you got to see the Yazoo Reconnected Tour! If my memory is correct, they only played the West Coast, Chicago, and New York, so I missed it. But the live album is fantastic, and I agree, Allison is one of my all time favorite singers. Two of my favorite Yaz tracks are "Nobody's Diary" and "Too Pieces", and the live vocals on those from that tour are amazing! (as they are on all the songs). I've seen video footage from the tour on You Tube, including this clip that uses better quality audio than most of the fan vids from the tour:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPTAlK3Q1Gs

Nice talking to you about some great pop music, and thanks again for the heads up about the Erasure tour! :)

I really do not like MSEP. I saw it last year during nightastic and was very disappointed to find out is was still running when I was at the world earlier this month. I hope Spectro is returning soon.

mm52200

Ok. I just re-watched both of them on Youtube. MSEP is totally the better parade. It has better floats and more characters. I love the Alice Section. Also, there is a freakin' Pirate Ship for Peter Pan! And Pete's Dragon, Show White Float, Tinker Bell section and it has the ugly Step Sisters! It feels like it has more energy and it's more colorful. The only thing I would say that Spectro has on MSEP is the music.

Actually they both have around the same number of characters. They're just more spread out in MSEP than Spectro where they are the majority are on the last few floats. I think both parades have their pros and cons but I prefer Spectro Magic. Hopefully if it comes back they will of done some upgrades...but knowing TDO and WDW entertainment recently they won't. If anything it will come back with about half the floats missing and half of the cast cut...but maybe by then entertainment will of redeemed themselves, but not very likely.

David S.

We skip MSEP after seeing it once now, but always watch Spectro. When we were there in April, the second viewing of MSEP did not have many spectators. (Although I know one night does not make a pattern, just my observation.) MSEP feels too small in the MK -- I think the scale fits better in DisneyLand and the grandness of Spectro fits better into the larger scale of the Magic Kingdom.

To be fair though, the same was true for Spectro, on "peak" nights with 2 parades a night, for a total of 14 parades a week. That's a trick I've been using since childhood for both parades - do attractions during the 9 PM parade while almost everyone in the park is packed in like sardines for the first parade (and staking out their spot an hour early).

Then, after the mass exudus after Wishes, you have much more room for a more personal, intimate viewing of the 11 PM parade and can get a GREAT spot right before it starts.

When I first moved to Orlando part-time in 2006, I began using this "strategy" on a regular basis for Spectro. Even on peak season days, some of which I didn't always do a full day at a park, I could always count on a nice evening visit with a great viewing of Spectro, often having an entire block in Frontierland (near CBJ) almost to myself! Nearly ALL the characters interacting with me, high-fives, the fish winking, etc. And then walk-ons on most attractions after that, on nights with a midnight or 1 AM closing.

So these 11 PM second parades have always been my best experiences with the night parades in MK, for both MSEP and Spectro. Ironically, during the so-called slow season with the regular 8 PM closings and just 3 or 4 showings of the parade a WEEK, the parade is ALWAYS more crowded than the 11 PM second parades are during a peak season like Spring Break or summer. Because even though there are less people at the resort during a "slow season" there is more "demand" for each parade time, due to there being radically fewer of them per week, with it only performing once a night on select nights only.

erasure fan1

Nice talking to you about some great pop music, and thanks again for the heads up about the Erasure tour! :)

Hey no prob, its always great to talk to a fellow erasure fan! Good luck getting to the show it should be great. Are you part of the EIS forum? And to make this sort of relevant to the OP, doesnt the end of the song Sunday girl remind you of the MSEP? Or am I just crazy?

powlessfamily4

Funny! I feel like the great WDW historian naming each float as they come by -- after a few guesses from people standing around me -- I just go ahead and shout out -- oh that's Pete's Dragon! Some of the adults remember who that was, but none of the kids do! lol! It's nostalgic though. Synthesizer music was the bomb back in the 80's!!

Ha! I love Pete's Dragon and the 80's.... AAnd look! <gasp> The clothes are back!! LOL

David S.

Are you part of the EIS forum? And to make this sort of relevant to the OP, doesnt the end of the song Sunday girl remind you of the MSEP? Or am I just crazy?

I've visited the site before and lurked in the forums, but have not officially registered.

No, you're not crazy, I can definitely hear the resemblance! In fact, I often hear traces of the MSEP vibe in other electronic artists I enjoy, such as early OMD and early Gary Numan. I think one of the reasons I got into electro/synthpop so much in the first place was because of how blown away I was by the MSEP soundtrack in 1977 as a small child, and then hearing the first wave of the synth bands in the late 70's/early 80's reminded me of the MSEP!

BuzzGoofy

I hope that MSEP will still be around in Sept this year. I only get to go about every two years so I have not had the chance to see it yet. When I was there in Sept 09 it was still Spectromagic, which i thoroughly enjoyed.

No matter what parade is playing I will be there with camera in hand.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
It's interesting to me that if you did a poll of people on here which they would prefer - Spectro, ELP or an entirely new parade, the idea of a new parade would probably come in last.

Does this represent a lack of confidence in Disney's ability to create (and fund) a new parade or just a fondness for old traditions?

Personally I still like both parades but I think Spectro is a little out-dated while ELP is ancient.

Given that the last new parade TDO came up with is the pathetic Countdown to (no) Fun, I'd say that yes, people have very little confidence in their ability to create a new parade.

mm52200

Given that the last new parade TDO came up with is the pathetic Countdown to (no) Fun, I'd say that yes, people have very little confidence is their ability to create a new parade.

Well it's been a long time since we've seen them create a parade from scratch...I would like to think when they are given a budget of more than $5 and some leftover spray paint that they'd be capable of making a better parade...but who knows really

puntagordabob

Disneyland's Soundsational parade is really nice....so Disney can make a nice new parade if they spend the time and money....of course at DLR that seems be no problem what so ever....at WDW it seems to challenge the powers that be to do that! :(

I hope MSEP sticks around (assuming we do not get a really great new parade for the 40th which would be wonderful!).... I must admit though that I wish WDW would alternate the parades (weekend versus weekday or something similar)....

link to a youtube video of Disneyland's new Soundsational parade.....give it a couple minutes as it really gets electrifying! For the record this is NOT my video, but rather a link I found at the top of my HD search for you to enjoy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtMVRrx2IVw

CaptainShortty

Original Poster
I went on the Keys to the Kingdom tour this past May, and Claire out tour guide said there were no definite plans (as of then) to bring back SpectroMagic. This is not to say it never will return, but just to say there is no date set.

I enjoy the music of Spectro more, and the Elliott float of Main Street the best.

I had Claire as my tour guide for KTHK too...Absolutely LOVED Her! So funny and a so knowledgable. She's been working for Disney for forever so I'd be keen to think she at least sort of knows what she's talking about. Although I'm hoping she's wrong...

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Disneyland's Soundsational parade is really nice....so Disney can make a nice new parade if they spend the time and money....of course at DLR that seems be no problem what so ever....at WDW it seems to challenge the powers that be to do that! :(

Correct. TDA never seems to have an issue creating new and exciting parades.

PirateMark24

I got here about 3 weeks ago to start my college program and on my first night at the Magic Kingdom, I was deeply saddened to see SpectroMagic replaced. I've been working at the Bakery on Main Street for a few weeks now, and in that time I got to talk to a manager about all sorts of stuff, one being SpectroMagic. He told me he heard Spectro is coming back in September. I know its not reliable at all but the manager I talked to works in the offices above the Bakery, which is where all the bigwigs in Magic Kingdom work so I assume he could probably hear some info like this up there.

etwtec

The rumor among CMs is that it'll be back after the summer, presumably for the 40th. I also talked to someone who 'knows a bunch of entertainment people who do MSEP', and apparently, they're all aware of its departure. There's no official announcement yet, and I don't have much hope for Spectro's return without one.

I think what may happen is MK will eventually all the sudden, one night, make the switch "quietly" back to Spectro and not say much about it... Honestly unless major changes are coming to Spectro then I do not see why WDW would make a big deal out of MSEPs departure and Spectros return...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom