Spectro Magic changes

rodserling27

Here we go again, the SpectroMagic vs. MSEP debate....

Before I get into it, I would like to see a COMPLETE overhaul of SpectroMagic before it returns. I don't know how I feel about an Oswald float...interesting.

I honestly don't understand how you cannot like Main Street Electrical Parade. The last two times I was at WDW, the streets were PACKED to see MSEP, moreso than I've ever seen for SpectroMagic. People start lining up 2 1/2 HOURS before the parade steps off. They clap and bop along to "Baroque Hoedown" too, and all the kids love it. SpectroMagic is a cool parade, no doubt, but it takes itself too seriously. The symphonic music just does not work for a parade for me. I'm all about 3/4 or 6/8 time, but it doesn't fit for a parade, I think it would be better suited for a show (like fireworks). Just watch the CMs performing in SpectroMagic. They're far too dramatic and serious.

The original MSEP music was far superior to the current one, and the parade in its heyday was the most fantastic thing in the world. The current version IS too short, as it's missing the Dumbo, "it's a small world," and Toy soldier sections. So I can understand why people think it's not quite as good because it's not as long as Spectro.

That being said, I think MSEP takes the cake visually right now, at least compared to how Spectro looked the last time I saw it. The new LED lights are glorious. Long live the Electrical Parade!!

Dads 2 Boys

I sat and watched the new version and the old version of the MSEP today (foot surgery will bore one to tears...LOL). The old music is extremely dated but how can anyone say that the new music is "good"? For one it's cheesy and secondly it's the "same bleeping music on a loop for 15+ mins".

The only reason most people seem to give about why they like MSEP over Spectro is that it's the one they grew up with and it holds memories. While that's perfectly fine, if you have someone who has never seen either parade and showed them both......90% or more would choose Spectro. The music is a million times better. It has more passion, more intensity and won't get dated. The new version of MSEP sounds like backround music piped in @ a carnival (perhaps it could go in the new Circusland Stroybook section in the FLE).

Spectro tells mini stories while MSEP tells nothing in my opinion.

mastromjm

In the Parks
Yes
The only reason most people seem to give about why they like MSEP over Spectro is that it's the one they grew up with and it holds memories. While that's perfectly fine, if you have someone who has never seen either parade and showed them both......90% or more would choose Spectro. The music is a million times better. It has more passion, more intensity and won't get dated. The new version of MSEP sounds like backround music piped in @ a carnival (perhaps it could go in the new Circusland Stroybook section in the FLE).

While that is perfectly good logic, there must be a few outliers. I grew up watching SpectroMagic on every vacation to Walt Disney World, even narrowly missing the Main Street Electrical Parade over its three year span. Yet by far my favorite parade is the Main Street Electrical Parade. Both parades are very magical and wonderful but the Main Street Electrical Parade truly has something that eclipses SpectroMagic, in my opinion. More imaginative creatures. Better focus on movies. Better music, in some ways. It warms me up while SpectroMagic leaves me cold.

AlishaSimonLee

It warms me up while SpectroMagic leaves me cold.

For one it's cheesy .

...does anyone clap on the streets? do you see CMs bouncing as they walk around the park to spectro? no, cuz it's boring....

But I feel like swooping my beautiful princess up and waltzing down mainstreet like I am in the middle of a fairytale! I grew up on Spectromagic so to me that is the one with the memories.

Whats with the fanboyism with some? Such hostility.

From what I have seen on youtube, they are both just different, awesome, but different. One leaves me feeling like I am part of a magical fairytale, and the other makes me feel like I am in a magical party.

There's no coldness or cheesyness in either.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
I've got the Spectro soundtrack in my iTunes. Just turned it on while I re-read this entire thread. Missin' Spectro BIG TIME! Let's hope it returns with all new LED lighting. Please don't touch the soundtrack! It's easily one of the most "majestic" pieces of parade music ever assembled.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I think, at this point, MSEP vs. Sprectromagic threads are more passionate than any of the old mug debates.

There is no middle ground with these two parades. People get so defensive that in order to defend their favorite parade, they feel the need to bash the other one.

That being said, while I enjoy both parades, I'd pick MSEP any day.

etwtec

I've got the Spectro soundtrack in my iTunes. Just turned it on while I re-read this entire thread. Missin' Spectro BIG TIME! Let's hope it returns with all new LED lighting. Please don't touch the soundtrack! It's easily one of the most "majestic" pieces of parade music ever assembled.

I think it is highly likely that there will be soundtrack changes in some way shape or form, especially if the rumors are true of new floats being added.

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
I think it is highly likely that there will be soundtrack changes in some way shape or form, especially if the rumors are true of new floats being added.

It would not bother me if certain segments of the music changed, it's the underliner (main theme) that makes SpectroMagic what it is.

etwtec

It would not bother me if certain segments of the music changed, it's the underliner (main theme) that makes SpectroMagic what it is.

I would welcome a update to the main theme, keeping it the same "majestic" feel and making it even better!

MaryJaneP

I would welcome a update to the main theme, keeping it the same "majestic" feel and making it even better!

Spectro music is on my MP3 player and this PC. The Main Theme is majestic. Hard to see how updating "main theme" wouldn't take the magic out of SpectroMagic.

Although I think Spectro is far superior to MSEP and should be returned with little or no changes, I wouldn't mind a shuffle of the order or even new floats (ie. Toy Story 3). Also not sure how Oswald would fit in here. Maybe he belongs in MSEP with the Pointer Sisters.

RunnerEd

Let's ditch them both and get a brand new, original night time parade that combines the best elements of all things Disney!!!! That would give us 3 parades to argue about which is better instead of the same old boring arguments over 2 parades :hurl:

puntagordabob

Lets keep them both.... why must we be strapped to one parade, keep them both..... Disneyland has had seasonal parades, and attractions, etc.... why cannot we?

ms7479a

They should leave MSEP at Magic Kingdom and bring Spectro over to the Hollywood Studios to run on nights that there is no Fantasmic. That way the Studios would have some form of nighttime entertainment every night of the week. Seems like a win-win to me.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I have seen both the parades in person. Spectro is just better, IMO. MSEP is ok, it just doesn't bring on the same sense of wonder that spectro does.

MaryJaneP

They should leave MSEP at Magic Kingdom and bring Spectro over to the Hollywood Studios to run on nights that there is no Fantasmic. That way the Studios would have some form of nighttime entertainment every night of the week. Seems like a win-win to me.

Like the idea of moving a parade. Disagree on which one moves and to where. The MSEP could be moved and renamed (World Showcase Electrical Parade) to EPCOT to tie in nicely with Illuminations. Agree that an illuminated parade should be added to DHS. Then maybe we could be even talk about a rotation of the three parades. IMO, Spectro must return to MK.

WDWJedi

I absolutely LOATH MSEP...keep that mess over at DL! I remember the first time they switched over to the EP from Spectro, my wife came home crying about it because it was so much of a change for the cast members...and most of them HATED it as well. Spectro is a Disney WORLD parade...and so it should stay.

Tigger1988

I absolutely LOATH MSEP...keep that mess over at DL! I remember the first time they switched over to the EP from Spectro, my wife came home crying about it because it was so much of a change for the cast members...and most of them HATED it as well. Spectro is a Disney WORLD parade...and so it should stay.

Considering it's extensive history with Walt Disney World, MSEP is a Disney WORLD parade as well. It's been performed all over the world, it isn't "owned" by just one park.

jrh1985

Considering it's extensive history with Walt Disney World, MSEP is a Disney WORLD parade as well. It's been performed all over the world, it isn't "owned" by just one park.

The fact that WDI got the idea for DL's MESP from WDW's popular EWP makes it even more a WDW parade

WDWJedi

This is an AGE old argument, even among cast members...For some it's just what they like, for others it was the first parade they saw at a park. For me..it's a combination of the first parade I remember and the parade I used to see just about EVERY night while I worked for WDW. I STILL love Spectro and when they switched to EP...it just wasn't the same feelings that I personally experience while watching Spectro...My wife who worked Spectro felt the same way...course she worked EP too...just didn't like it. We actually canceled our trip last year because of it...when we found out they were changing the parade it was like....KAAAAHHHHNnnnn

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom