Spearheading a project to build the REAL EPCOT

uglybug2005

"Everything in this room may be thrown out and changed time and time again before we even break ground, but the heart of what we hope to accomplish will remain very much the same." "It will be a showcase of American free enterprise and technical know-how"
-Walt Disney (from the original Epcot pitch film)
Coincidentally, a major part of the concept presented originally was a product testing/factory tour area where various companies would sponsor exhibits to showcase new technologies in various fields of industry. Walt also wanted an internationally themed shopping and dining area to be a part of his downtown.
These were two of the many "bits and pieces" of Walt's EPCOT dream that his successor E. Cardon Walker, son-in-law and protoge Ron Miller, and the dedicated team at WED Enterprises (now WDI) actually created and brought to reality across property at Walt Disney World.
They accomplished the feasible parts of the goal already.
Incidentally, Roy E. Disney, Sid Bass, Stanley Gold, and their associates removed Ron from his post as CEO of Walt Disney Productions and hired in Michael Eisner two years after Epcot opened. Michael Eisner did not "take over", he was sought out, and he accomplished the goals he was hired to achieve.
The reason Ron got the axe? He was failing to keep the company financially solvent (which is what Roy O. Disney and Frank G. Wells were able to do), as well as creatively ambitious (say thank you to Uncle Walt and Uncle Michael).
The company needed new ideas and good business sense, and it coasted along under Card and then Ron on the financial momentum of past success and "same old, same old" formulaic ideas of the past (or as Walt would have said, they were resting on their laurels*)
:brick:
*yes, the same could be said of Michael during the last 8 years of his tenure, but he did recommend Bob, and Bob seems to be steering the ship in the right direction once again.

Connor002

Corrus said:

:eek: What do you think Connor.... just another misguided kid??? :rolleyes:

Maybe another wdwfantasmic, Thrawn or maybe Ghostbuster's evil twin??? :lookaroun

I don't know... even with this, he/she still sounds smarter than you-know-who...

Corrus said:
The most important thing is WHERE to build... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have some oceanfront property in Colorado for sale...:lookaroun

PintoColvig

hugh009 said:
What would you like to see in what I'm naming Walt Disney City?

Walt Disney City, eh? Better be prepared to pay out the wazzoo to the bean counters at Disney for the use of that name! :hammer:

freediverdude

From what I saw in the EPCOT pitch video, it was going to be unbelievable. I really wish somebody would try to build it. Imagine a city with no stoplights....no utility poles......very short commutes to work on peoplemover or monorail type things. I wish I could help you build it somehow!

bhg469

I would like a consulting job too and only require a pagani zonda as my company car, an m5 will do though, its more practical.

jcassino

Celebration was supposed to be a city that Disney built, of course not in the future, but it was supposed to have all the Disney "amenities" no stoplights or anything there and certainly high tech transportation!

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
In a related story I'm spearheading a group of investors to build the lost city of Atlantis. We're going to build, hide it somewhere (maybe under the shoes in my wife's closet), "discover" it and then be incredibly rich!!!!

PaisleyMF

Most of the Walt Disney World complex is based on the EPCOT concept. but not implemented as Walt Have design it (remember the scale model over TTA).

Walt Disney was a dreamer and a genius but when some dreams and ideas are made by others they usually cut corners to save money / time. Me for once would love to see and live over Walt Utopia (that is what some people call it) as for me it will be EPCOT City.

peter11435

jcassino said:
Celebration was supposed to be a city that Disney built, of course not in the future, but it was supposed to have all the Disney "amenities" no stoplights or anything there and certainly high tech transportation!
Celebration does have stoplights. And there is no high tech transportation in Celebration.

Tom

Beta Return
Corrus said:
I've got some land in near Ocala... hotel building approved...

I've got some waterfront property with lush vegatation that's centrally located.....well, it's actually 1/3 acre with sod on a retention pond in Indiana....but I would sell it to this guy!

bhg469

Just so everyone knows i checked my parking lot here at work, they have not dropped off my pagani zonda or M5, I think he may not be serious.

Teenchy

peter11435 said:
Celebration does have stoplights. And there is no high tech transportation in Celebration.

I've seen some electric (i.e. golfcarts) parked around the streets of Celebration:lol:

By the way Roy was the $$ man Walt the Dreamer. I think Roy would have looked at the fesability and talked some CENTS into Walt.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom