Spaceship in Spaceship Earth

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Oh I'm glad that they fixed it! I haven't been as recently as that. Honestly with how bad they're track record is with fixing technical issues, I feared it was going to stick around for quite a while.
The system is getting old now. Some parts are life expired, some are no longer available off the shelf and Siemens aren’t footing the bill anymore.

peter11435

Yet they can spend $$$$ on the new lights outside but let the inside continue to get worse both in show quality and tech. I know it's been said those are two separate things with two separate budgets, but I just feel that's not entirely so.
Inevitably the attraction will see the full refurbishment. Eventually. But it’s true that they are entirely separate projects, with separate budgets, seperate teams, and separate departments.

aladdin2007

Inevitably the attraction will see the full refurbishment. Eventually. But it’s true that they are entirely separate projects, with separate budgets, seperate teams, and separate departments.
thank you then I stand corrected, it just makes one think sometimes what where when why and how they allocate.

Bill in Atlanta

Imagine being the Imagineers doing the next refurb.... maybe you don’t even know window girl is in there. You’re going to check out what’s in that hatch to assess what you’re removing, you hop down and AHHHH face to face with a terminator looking thing o_O... hidden/defunct animatronics both fascinate me and creep me out.
Do we know for sure that the lady had her clothes and skin removed? If so, how do we know that? And why wouldn’t they just leave her as is and just paint the window black?

Fascinating stuff..

ImperfectPixie

Do we know for sure that the lady had her clothes and skin removed? If so, how do we know that? And why wouldn’t they just leave her as is and just paint the window black?

Fascinating stuff..
Late, late last night I was watching the Sons of Sam Netflix series in one tab, then flipped over here to check comments...yours was the first one I saw and it threw me for a loop for a few seconds! 😂 😂

Figments Friend

It will be interesting to see what happens to the former space station when the time comes for the proposed refresh of 'Spaceship Earth'.

Will it be removed, or left to sit for another three decades..?
Will it possibly be repurposed? Is there anyone left at WDI that is even aware of it's past show use?

Questions like this cross my mind when i see it in person, and when i see the recent photos of it laying in wait in the darkness.
Beckoning us.

-

Bill in Atlanta

It will be interesting to see what happens to the former space station when the time comes for the proposed refresh of 'Spaceship Earth'.

Will it be removed, or left to sit for another three decades..?
Will it possibly be repurposed? Is there anyone left at WDI that is even aware of it's past show use?

Questions like this cross my mind when i see it in person, and when i see the recent photos of it laying in wait in the darkness.
Beckoning us.

-
Given that this thread is now 15 years old, you’d think somebody high up at Epcot would’ve stumbled upon these questions and dropped a few hints of what’s up there now inside the capsule. Or a former CM who was there when it all went down. We know you’re out there; tell us what you know! 😁

Bill in Atlanta

AD04A3DA-3001-4D86-BF1A-F155C848857E.jpeg

Does anyone know what scene currently exists where this used to be?

Dragonman

View attachment 560022
Does anyone know what scene currently exists where this used to be?
As far as I know it was on the right side of the track right before you round the corner where the computer lab is now. Right around here essentially to the right and back a bit across from the family watching TV:
10F4609E-759F-44CF-BAB7-16D7A4D35DE4.png

1DBAF490-FA5B-47F5-AF59-638548B89ADB.jpeg

@marni1971 can confirm for sure

Last edited:

Dragonman

@marni1971 this is supposed to resemble the full effect we’re seeing in the blurry footage right? Without the original show scene plans or better footage/photos so much of the Network Communications scene (mostly pre-86 right side but also left) besides the main map area is quite a mystery.
8B94DE5B-23C5-4E88-8C34-E2D680F042A8.jpeg

4A112123-567A-41E2-96E8-FD1A1A96714B.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom