Spaceship in Spaceship Earth

Bender123

Well, the bulb has to be burned out by now, but either way this is something that would really surprise me, because it still costs a (probably insignificant) amount of money to run. Though I think it is believable that the projector (or at least infrastructure/stand for the projector) would still be there.

I would love it if they brought it back...just updated. That projection is/was truly low quality to the point of corny. It looked like a low res cartoon set against some very detailed (and close up) AAs and felt out of place.
If there was some way to get that effect with a parallax screen or peppers ghost, it would be very nice.

Castle Cake Apologist

I would love it if they brought it back...just updated. That projection is/was truly low quality to the point of corny. It looked like a low res cartoon set against some very detailed (and close up) AAs and felt out of place.
If there was some way to get that effect with a parallax screen or peppers ghost, it would be very nice.

Thank you! I feel like I'm betraying my people, but I never thought the chariot projection looked good. At all.

Always good to see this WDWMagic Classic™ thread pop up. Definitely one of the greats. :D

Last edited:

Dragonman

Have there ever been any transcripts of the original 1982 animatronic audio? (Greek theatre, Egyptians, Astronauts/Window Girl, etc)?

Dragonman

Sadly no. Some are the same today. Notable changes were Greece and the radio station, and long gone were the paperless office, network control and the space station.

I think I’ve mostly figured out the space station audio after listening to your ‘82 video several times (it seems to have the clearest audio of the scene):

Astronaut: “Repeat”

Mission Control (Girl): “GVC report: auto sequence engaged, this is mission control”

Astronaut: “Can you switch to manual payload ?”

Mission Control: “No problem, manual payload is activated, signal for command execution”

Astronaut: “Roger are you getting video?”

Mission Control: “Affirmative, delta camera is on and tracking”

Dragonman

Something I was wondering and found kinda interesting...

In on ride footage there’s a bright lighted translucent “window” visible behind Window Girl in on ride footage:

Yet in the amazing flash pictures that @marni1971 posted of the full station cylinder this window element is not visible. Is this some sort of imagineering technique that only makes part of the wall behind her illuminate?

Also it almost appears like she got a new mask/tightened outfit at one point (although that might be due to the quality of the images/maintenance) even though I’ve heard her area is pretty hard to access.

EDIT: I can barely make out an outline of the window in the brightest picture.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Something I was wondering and found kinda interesting...

In on ride footage there’s a bright lighted translucent “window” visible behind Window Girl in on ride footage:
View attachment 379791
View attachment 379792

Yet in the amazing flash pictures that @marni1971 posted of the full station cylinder this window element is not visible. Is this some sort of imagineering technique that only makes part of the wall behind her illuminate?
View attachment 379793View attachment 379795

Also it almost appears like she got a new mask/tightened outfit at one point (although that might be due to the quality of the images/maintenance) even though I’ve heard her area is pretty hard to access.

EDIT: I can barely make out an outline of the window in the brightest picture.
Interesting catch. The photos show the figure as it was in 1993 in the state it was in when the ride closed. The video is from a few years earlier. Perhaps the smaller light window was replaced for the lighter full wall (possibly illuminated?) in the early 90s.

Dragonman

Interesting catch. The photos show the figure as it was in 1993 in the state it was in when the ride closed. The video is from a few years earlier. Perhaps the smaller light window was replaced for the lighter full wall (possibly illuminated?) in the early 90s.

This photo is from the April ‘94 footage though:

You can barely makeout a square outline in the flash pictures however, so perhaps that square window section was made from a different material then the rest of the wall which allowed it to illuminate.

Last edited:

HMFan999

I think that's the window there. In that photo we're still approaching the AA from the left, so the window isn't centered like it is in the video. I'm guessing it was a translucent material with a bright light behind it. Someone certainly put a lot of thought into this scene. I'm guessing there's a spotlight in the side panel to her right as well since it looks like she's getting hit with a much warmer light from there.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
View attachment 379873

I think that's the window there. In that photo we're still approaching the AA from the left, so the window isn't centered like it is in the video. I'm guessing it was a translucent material with a bright light behind it. Someone certainly put a lot of thought into this scene. I'm guessing there's a spotlight in the side panel to her right as well since it looks like she's getting hit with a much warmer light from there.

View attachment 379874
Bingo.

VicariousCorpse

Yea, you can see the outline better with contrast and brightness adjusted.

Dragonman

Even if the space scene wasn’t fully realized it still had a good number of effects. 1 AA, 2 static figures, earth projection, space station with multiple lighting effects, 2 satellites (smaller one moved a bit I believe).

Also nowadays the abandoned station/window girl gives off an Alien vibe.

Last edited:

HMFan999

Even if the space scene wasn’t fully realized it still had a good number of effects. 1 AA, 2 static figures, earth projection, space station with multiple lighting effects, 2 satellites (smaller one moved a bit I believe).

Also nowadays the abandoned station/window girl gives off an Alien vibe.
Agreed, I'd love to see the top returned to its former glory. Imagine what they could do with today's technology... you know, other than sticking a screen in front of us...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom