Spaceship in Spaceship Earth

bcoachable

Marni- this re do in a half a decade thing kinda has me thinking here... if you replaced the omnimover with, say, the coaster system that gotg is rumored to have, with twisting cars and such- wouldn’t this lend itself to telling Earths, civilization story well? Twisting you as you roll past a scene? Making it, of course “slowish” like figment travels today...
I could see the possibility of staying relevant to today’s crowd, yet satisfy the old epcot guard.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Marni- this re do in a half a decade thing kinda has me thinking here... if you replaced the omnimover with, say, the coaster system that gotg is rumored to have, with twisting cars and such- wouldn’t this lend itself to telling Earths, civilization story well? Twisting you as you roll past a scene? Making it, of course “slowish” like figment travels today...
I could see the possibility of staying relevant to today’s crowd, yet satisfy the old epcot guard.
They can’t. The structure wouldn’t take it. Thankfully.

Plus how do you tell the story in 90 seconds? Slowing cars would lower capacity.

There’s also the fact that like Imag, SSE is actually a hybrid coaster track system.

So here's a question: is there any way of seeing inside the remains of the station, or is it completely sealed off from all sides? I'd love to know what state the AA is in after all these years. Based on a thread on this very site from 2002, it looks like there was some sort of backstage tour offered and the figure was known to be in there, so that's kind of interesting.

DreamfinderGuy

There is a version five coming in the next half decade or so if things don’t slip. It’s still hopefully looking Omnimover based. We'll see.
Is it possible to retrofit Spaceship Earth as a trackless system? It seems like that would decrease capacity, but there seems like there would be some sort of upside there

Sharon&Susan

Is it possible to retrofit Spaceship Earth as a trackless system? It seems like that would decrease capacity, but there seems like there would be some sort of upside there
Unless if they’ve improved the technology since last I heard, the trackless system wouldn’t allow the vehicles to travel uphill plus I can’t see any big pluses, all I see are large negatives (lost of capacity, needing time to charge, needing to completely redesign Spaceship Earth if you were to make great use of the technology ect.)

GlacierGlacier

Unless if they’ve improved the technology since last I heard, the trackless system wouldn’t allow the vehicles to travel uphill plus I can’t see any big pluses, all I see are large negatives (lost of capacity, needing time to charge, needing to completely redesign Spaceship Earth if you were to make great use of the technology ect.)
Not to mention there's already at least three trackless rides being installed right now.

HMFan999

So I had a couple thoughts. I know WDI used to constantly reuse the AA face molds to save money (hence why a bunch of presidents are doing double duty in SSE). Throughout this thread there are several other AAs that were pointed out to look just like the woman in the space station. Does anyone else think there's a strong possibility that these AA figures all shared the same mold? I wouldn't be surprised if that girl from the old skype call /auto translation scene was even the same mold just used on a static figure. Does Disney even keep documentation on that sort of stuff?

Second, I'm trying to figure out why the AA was left inside the closed up space station piece. Surely Disney could have recycled the AA elsewhere (generic Asianish woman is about as recylceable as you could ask for) or at least scrapped it for parts. Do you suppose there's no way to get her out except going through the open top of the set piece? I imagine it would have been fairly easy to lower her in there during construction but now there's no real way to get the necessary equipment in there to hoist her back up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom