Spaceship in Spaceship Earth

smile

also, put me in a camp for the outright removal of paper boy...
while he did contribute to a to a traumatic, yet classic family moment (https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/disney-glitches-malfunctions.934897/page-2#post-7930082), never thought he quite worked while he was shouting on a loop inches away from the track - his sound bleed (check martinsvids.net for a verify) bothered me for years and never understood why it was permitted to continue that way for so long - poor michelangelo.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
had skimmed before, but took a few days to go thru this thread in its entirety, and like (practically) everyone states, FANTASTIC! from the bevy of info and pics, to the great cast, from a younger, hungry (24 obsessed) martin, to steve to expo to joel to boom to a sleepy becky (et al.), to the covert MISSION:EARTH - good stuff and great work. bravo, all!
:D
24?? I wish! :D

Void*Petey

Wow, what an incredible thread update, thanks TrbleClef!

I just got back from WDW after my first visit in 13 years and made sure to look out for the station during the descent, was kind of cool to spot it although I didn't recognize it until it was almost out of sight. As for the ride though, man, what a disappointment :-(. The last time I rode SSE was the Irons version, and I was really hoping all of the disappointment in this thread was just internet crankiness, but nope, the new descent is really quite awful. I really don't mind the narration all that much, and liked the new projection mapping effects at the start, but the cheap lights and black sheets coupled with that awful choose your future animation make for a terrible conclusion to a once great ride. Here's hoping that the 2019 refurb gives us a wonderful new ending.

As for the tour video, I find it interesting that the top of the station is hollow. Did CMs drop down that chute to service the AA, or is there another way to get into the station? Also, it looks like the window girl AA at 1:00:37 is missing her arms. Is that just an illusion or were they removed for some reason?

If only they still offered this tour, that would be really cool, even if the end is just looking at black sheets.

Disney Analyst

Here is a great video I found of a backstage tour of SSE, from January 1996. It was posted on YouTube on May 30, 2017.

Arrival in 180top is at 53:30 into the video.
The cast member remarks about the station with the AA in it, and astronaut/satellite, as being in the previous incarnation of the ride, and points out the station. There's also a shadowy figure at 54:00 that might be one of the satellites(?)

The rest of the video is pretty interesting as well, with the guests able to go out on the catwalk and look between the tiles to see the Orlando skyline. They're also able to walk up into the "attic", the part of the corkscrew track that keeps going up a little bit higher after the cars rotate, and see the star projection ball.

Just watched this, amazing! I've only experienced the current SSE, and I can't get over the descent in this version! I had heard it had many show scenes, but it's so cool! And that big one at the end with the reflective pond thing? NEAT! I can't even remember what's there now in that area at the end of descent, I just remember narrow, and curtained in areas.

montyz81

Oh man, that first 5 second shot of the original entrance with the old loop playing. I spent a good entire night early last year going through this thread and googling just about everything that was mentioned (mainly by @marni1971 of course) to learn more. Kind of funny to see this thread bumped every couple months.

On topic of this video, I'd love to have a good tour of SSE like this. Heck a tour of UoE and Imagination V1 in this kind of scale would've been incredible. They don't do anything like this anymore (for SSE), do they?
I wish the tour guide had a mic. It sure would be interesting to listen to him the entire time.

mergatroid

Here is a great video I found of a backstage tour of SSE, from January 1996. It was posted on YouTube on May 30, 2017.

Arrival in 180top is at 53:30 into the video.
The cast member remarks about the station with the AA in it, and astronaut/satellite, as being in the previous incarnation of the ride, and points out the station. There's also a shadowy figure at 54:00 that might be one of the satellites(?)

The rest of the video is pretty interesting as well, with the guests able to go out on the catwalk and look between the tiles to see the Orlando skyline. They're also able to walk up into the "attic", the part of the corkscrew track that keeps going up a little bit higher after the cars rotate, and see the star projection ball.

Brilliant find, thanks :cool:

Animaniac93-98

@marni1971

Imagine if a future refurb used the “Space” music from Horizons in the 180° top. The “please remain seated” spiel could be added to the vehicle’s audio once or twice, then—goosebumps.

I think it would be cool if the next version of the ride was a hybrid between SSE and Horizons. Use the themes, settings and music of the later from the top of the sphere, through the descent. Have a similar choose your ending with modern CG graphics (and not cartoon flash videos), and have "If You Can Dream It" be the song that plays.

tirian

I think it would be cool if the next version of the ride was a hybrid between SSE and Horizons. Use the themes, settings and music of the later from the top of the sphere, through the descent. Have a similar choose your ending with modern CG graphics (and not cartoon flash videos), and have "If You Can Dream It" be the song that plays.

Off-topic: What do you thinking of the “Animaniacs” relaunch? Shoot me a PM.

DoctorWho.48

Wow, I can't believe I haven't seen this before! I've always been a huge spaceship earth fan. I'm actually a current cast member in futureworld and have been on two backstage tours of SSE, the latest one was just a few days ago! I went in with one question, and that was if the show scenes you passed on the descent just before the finale in the previous version of the ride were still there, and it turns out they are! At least the mannequins are, that you saw the reflections of (as they talk about in that tour video). They're still up there, just covered by a black sheet.

Last edited:

muddyrivers

Wow, I can't believe I haven't seen this before! I've always been a huge spaceship earth fan. I'm actually a current cast member in futureworld and have been on two backstage tours of SSE, the latest one was just a few days ago! I went in with one question, and that was if the show scenes you passed on the descent just before the finale in the previous version of the ride were still there, and it turns out they are! At least the mannequins are, that you saw the reflections of (as they talk about in that tour video). They're still up there, just covered by a black sheet.

Thanks for that update! Were you allowed to take videos or photos on your tour as that group did back in 1996 that's on YouTube (link for those who haven't seen it: )

If so, it would be great to see some more recent pics and videos

montyz81

So does that mean this scene is still there?:
1521049892689.png

Phineas

I don’t know what specifics the next version will have. Or indeed what next version will be chosen.
I hate to ask this (and I know you might not be able to answer), but are you aware of any proposals being considered that would completely gut/remove the ride system and its theme/message?

I just can't imagine a trip to WDW without riding SSE multiple times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom