Spaceship in Spaceship Earth

commandorabbit

Also, FWIW, when I was there last week, there seemed like a lot of work was being done in the old Global Neighborhood/Post Show Area. Lot's of loud clanking, hehe. Sounded like someone dropped something quite heavy. Hope everyone is ok! Ha!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Today's the day when Epcotrob and his friend Jeff were planning to illuminate the top. Hope we'll hear from Rob soon.

Since we're talking about curtains near the old network ops scene, I don't know if it means anything but when you're transitioning past the family watching TV and into the boy's room, there's a gap in the curtains on your left that's basically at eye level and you can look into a room with bluish light (rear projectors for the previous scene? Didn't seem like it.) I didn't see anything interesting back there, but I thought I'd just bring it up because it didn't seem relevant but when I was making my rides I was looking everywhere for devices in the darkness and any visible "back of house" areas I could find.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who figured out if you look up and to the left of the "you've got a baby brother" scene following the possible girl-in-the-window that you can see black cutouts that appear to look like a crowd of people, and above them the twinkling fiber-optics that are reflected off the glass. As for the girl herself, Marin's video linked on Youtube a bit back kind of poses more questions than it answers. The few shapes lit up around her don't match up with the object in the flash photos. She's around there somewhere though, and when I asked a CM (the Eisenhower-playing-mandolin guy) about a stripped-down AA that was hidden up he nodded and made affirmative noises, although he didn't know whether or not the skin was recycled for the 94 translation scene. So I imagine the window-girl is lurking in there somewhere, although now she looks like the Terminator with human eyes and teeth attached.:lol:
sweet. ive been wondering

secondly, i do remember seeing that this past sept. i also remember seeing a clearly visible door and exit sign in the area. ahhhh, i guess ill have to check the prints again to see where i was. seems like it was near the top, befroe the girl - after the press. hmmm.

Epcotrob

Sorry for the long wait. Due to the rain that was in the area Monday Morning Jeff didnt want to take the camera out in the rain. So sorry for the lack of photos. We did ride several times on Monday. I thought I saw a spur track off to the right hand side of the track across from the boys bedroom before entering into the globe. I also noticed the gap in the curtains and the cutouts of what appeared to be children located above the cars across from the baby brother scene. I thought I could still see some of the old Tomorrows child mirrors on monday. We basicily rode backwards during the decent and looked at everything we were not suppose to look at. I will make Jeff try again on friday. Anyone close by up for a trip through SSE on Friday around 8:30pm to closing. Crowds should be non existant on the ride.

Another thing that was brought to my attention is the speed of the ride. Watching all of the ride thrus Jeff has on DVD of SSE he noticed that the ride is like two minutes faster than the old version. That could explain some of the roughness of the ride.

beanboon

You just came out of the space tunnel into the planetarium, if you look at the roof of that tunnel you can see it's not very tall. If you look beyond that you can see the roof of network ops, and it's much larger (higher). Both of these rooms basically hug the perimeter. The lift is on the larger roof, and the hatch is directly above that.

This would mean the lift is on top of the core? I was told it was ontop of the ascent tunnel (not saying it isn`t, just trying to get it right!)

Rome didn`t look right to me either; the set as you point out is in the way. It just made most sense since it was adjacent and in the dark (where most Omnis tend to spur). I see the pit on the ascent side of 52ft, a little far away form the lift access, but it seems there`s only one single-width door into the lift hall here... on the descent side of 52' however (final turn before the descent tube to unload) there`s a set of double doors. At least there were in 1982! Could this be it? It`s also in the dark, just to the right of the 94 city model I mentioned earlier and in the darkness of Tomorrows Child too.

Jmaxwell; still waiting for a mission report! I havn`t done the video yet.... should have some time soon.

SewIn2Disney

No idea! I`m still looking for a plan with the hatch. I did find this though
I'm almost afraid to throw this out there, but since this thread is all specualtion, i'll take a stab at it.

The "Hatch" that you guys are looking for, do you suppose that that one triangle of the geosphere is not made out of alcubond (sp?) like the rest, but rather is some sort of a pliable material, (i.e., tarp, canvas, fabric-ish)? If you look closely at the edges of it, it seems to be some sort of object that has been rolled away. It doesn't appear to be straight, as if one or two triangles have been swung away on a hinge.

That being said is there anyway you could zoom in close enough from google earth or live earth (or whatever it's called). I'm not very good at using those programs, but I know some of you on this site are. If you can zoom in close enough, you might be able to find a triangle or two that looks a little different, and it might solve some of your questions.

If I'm completly wrong, then just ignore this post!

joel_maxwell

I'm almost afraid to throw this out there, but since this thread is all specualtion, i'll take a stab at it.

The "Hatch" that you guys are looking for, do you suppose that that one triangle of the geosphere is not made out of alcubond (sp?) like the rest, but rather is some sort of a pliable material, (i.e., tarp, canvas, fabric-ish)? If you look closely at the edges of it, it seems to be some sort of object that has been rolled away. It doesn't appear to be straight, as if one or two triangles have been swung away on a hinge.

That being said is there anyway you could zoom in close enough from google earth or live earth (or whatever it's called). I'm not very good at using those programs, but I know some of you on this site are. If you can zoom in close enough, you might be able to find a triangle or two that looks a little different, and it might solve some of your questions.

i am under the impression that the hatch opens into the globe (i guess like a port opening on a submarine) and swing obviously from hinges. but with that said, i can also see it coming completely off, set in the boom lift while someone is up top, and locks into place much like a submarine door (with spreading latches when locked).

oh, mother of pearl, someone put us out of our misery

jasondiff

This is the best view I can get from local.live.com, and it's still too far away. Plus with all that junk (stars) up there it's hard to see anything.

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?...&lvl=2&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&scene=3949786

jasondiff

You just came out of the space tunnel into the planetarium, if you look at the roof of that tunnel you can see it's not very tall. If you look beyond that you can see the roof of network ops, and it's much larger (higher). Both of these rooms basically hug the perimeter. The lift is on the larger roof, and the hatch is directly above that.

So the lift is on top of the roof of the Network Ops scene, I get that, but is the hatch really that much off-center to be directly above the lift? I think most people are under the impression that the hatch is in the top center of the sphere.

DubyooDeeDubyoo

So the lift is on top of the roof of the Network Ops scene, I get that, but is the hatch really that much off-center to be directly above the lift? I think most people are under the impression that the hatch is in the top center of the sphere.

I don't think that kind of lift can go directly up very well in the first place.

Maybe we can convince Siemens to move SSE back in time a little for it's next makeover? How far back should we go? So far back that the CM is in the top spinning guests' cars around? ;)

Katya

Today's the day when Epcotrob and his friend Jeff were planning to illuminate the top. Hope we'll hear from Rob soon.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who figured out if you look up and to the left of the "you've got a baby brother" scene following the possible girl-in-the-window that you can see black cutouts that appear to look like a crowd of people, and above them the twinkling fiber-optics that are reflected off the glass. As for the girl herself, Marin's video linked on Youtube a bit back kind of poses more questions than it answers. The few shapes lit up around her don't match up with the object in the flash photos. She's around there somewhere though, and when I asked a CM (the Eisenhower-playing-mandolin guy) about a stripped-down AA that was hidden up he nodded and made affirmative noises, although he didn't know whether or not the skin was recycled for the 94 translation scene. So I imagine the window-girl is lurking in there somewhere, although now she looks like the Terminator with human eyes and teeth attached.:lol:

Behind that wall up there is really most of the scenes you see in the Neighborhood Vingettes (what we call it). Half of them are really just reflections of what is up above, you can tell if you're really looking at it.

Anyone close by up for a trip through SSE on Friday around 8:30pm to closing. Crowds should be non existant on the ride.

I very well might be able to say I could do that. Time allowing in other things I have to get done that night, I can also run down and give as much of my insider's opinion and help. I need to go down there sometime to deal with some backstage stuff soon anyway.

The hatch isn't quite top center, if I remember correctly, and the actual lift is just your normal lift so regardless of where it's parked now, it's rolls and can be positioned where it needs to go.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Behind that wall up there is really most of the scenes you see in the Neighborhood Vingettes (what we call it). Half of them are really just reflections of what is up above, you can tell if you're really looking at it..
If I`m right, is it a peppers ghost effect? Remembering that SSE wasn`t designed to fit this type of set into this space so they went into the very tall ceiling space from Tomorrows Child and hid half the mdoels above a false ceiling?

The hatch isn't quite top center, if I remember correctly, and the actual lift is just your normal lift so regardless of where it's parked now, it's rolls and can be positioned where it needs to go.
BINGO! Now it`s all making sense. Thanks again.

Rob; no worries. You and Jeff would get there before me no matter when you went! BTW; you checked your emails ? :wave:

And Jmaxwell (and anyone else) - I`ve started sorting the media for my mini 180top tribute vid :D

joel_maxwell

If I`m right, is it a peppers ghost effect? Remembering that SSE wasn`t designed to fit this type of set into this space so they went into the very tall ceiling space from Tomorrows Child and hid half the mdoels above a false ceiling?

BINGO! Now it`s all making sense. Thanks again.

Rob; no worries. You and Jeff would get there before me no matter when you went! BTW; you checked your emails ? :wave:

And Jmaxwell (and anyone else) - I`ve started sorting the media for my mini 180top tribute vid :D
great. let me know. im heading out friday AM, going to mardi gras so i wont be able to check any vids (if ready) before then.

any luck on the plans for the hatch and how it works?

secondly, why would they hide things in a feaux ceiling instead of removing them? (time, money)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
No luck on hatch plans - add it to the list! Maybe the troops can help during the misson ;)

I`m processing the 2 angles I have again on video; I`m confident to say both satellites were on the right of the track, between the finished-turning position and the core - not far apart from eachother. That`s only from watching the preview; once thet are rendered I should know for sure. The stars are also very clear now; they give a great reference to which way the camera points and how much it moves.

Regarding the Irons finale; my proposal meant the reflected mannaquins from the window reflections are above the track space, above a false ceiling to hide them. The ceiling height during Tomorrows Child was much taller than today; with all the screens above you and other fx it was like a very tall, thin corridor for most of the descent. They took some of this space and put the reflected models in it, hidden behind a new, lower ceiling. Kind of like the HMs Banquet Hall, but the real models are above, not below, the track.

joel_maxwell

No luck on hatch plans - add it to the list! Maybe the troops can help during the misson ;)

I`m processing the 2 angles I have again on video; I`m confident to say both satellites were on the right of the track, between the finished-turning position and the core - not far apart from eachother. That`s only from watching the preview; once thet are rendered I should know for sure. The stars are also very clear now; they give a great reference to which way the camera points and how much it moves.

Regarding the Irons finale; my proposal meant the reflected mannaquins from the window reflections are above the track space, above a false ceiling to hide them. The ceiling height during Tomorrows Child was much taller than today; with all the screens above you and other fx it was like a very tall, thin corridor for most of the descent. They took some of this space and put the reflected models in it, hidden behind a new, lower ceiling. Kind of like the HMs Banquet Hall, but the real models are above, not below, the track.
cant wait to see it. hopefully you can find someone here to host it so you dont have to go through a torret type situation.

gotcha on the irons finale. do you think any monitors from Disney laugh at dicussions like this?

lastly, how much money is it going to take to get a CM to get these shots with working lights on that we need including:
boom platform and hatch
180/top remains and current state
report of spare track to the right of internet scene

anyone want to start a slush fund :lookaroun

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
^I`ll donate all my videos to the CM :D

First results of the better-enhanced media;

Both Satellites were to the right of the track. I`m going with the theory the smaller one was ontop of staircase 11, as I`ve been told before. Or thereabouts. Any further north and the ceiling would be too low (the track gets quite close to the curved wall/ceiling around just before the stairs.)

The Larger satellite was right next to the core - it`d be positioned on the edge of the upper deck of 180top, or right on the edge.

There was (and still is) a black flat wall along the north east side of the track, on the final straight just before descent. It has the `cloud` edge cut into the top of it; this blocked the view of the larger satellite and the core entrance from guests before they turned the final corner into the descent straight, particularly as the ride vehicles rotated.

And as commando rabbit cleared up (thanks, and welcome, BTW!) the earth was indeed much smaller and less defined.

But now - a small revelation. I`m going out on a limb to say the original red strip lights were further infront of the beams that are still up there today; they stuck out more into the room than the beams do. Either that, or there are more beams not in the pictures we have. As for the flashing dome lights; there was no dome. At least not with the lights in them. The lights appear to have been simply in the `ceiling` of the station set. I`ll make it clearer in the following attachment.

And finally, Houston - we have a problem. I hope Jeffs DVD footage helps with this (and hope to see for myself soon!) but I agree with an earlier point raised; it would seem the girl isn`t where we thought she was. Watching the footage again, as the camera angle shifts as the car moves, we pass completley infront of her and to her left (our right) - something that`d be impossible if she was directly above the descent ramp. With this theory she`d need to be to the east of the cone shape. Not sure where exactly - roughly where the white square is in the pic below. ARGH!

I`ll be working on making the whole video presentable tomorrow; it`ll run from the right hand Network Ops to unload.

EDIT; after looking at the plans I`ll go out on another limb. The smaller sat was either on staircase 11, or where I thought the large sat was. This means the larger one was infact within the core. Both the videos and plans add weight to this. Especially when looking at the plan below; it all lines up from the video evidence, and the girl is indeed watching the astronaut. Just when we thought it was all over.... DOUBLE ARGH!

Your thoughts? And I`m sure there is someone at WDI right now rolling on the floor laughing their perverbial off reading these latest posts.

Attachments

• Descent Feb 14 2007.jpg
    Descent Feb 14 2007.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 320
  • SSE 180top sat locations Feb 2007.jpg
    SSE 180top sat locations Feb 2007.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 279

joel_maxwell

^I`ll donate all my videos to the CM :D

First results of the better-enhanced media;

Both Satellites were to the right of the track. I`m going with the theory the smaller one was ontop of staircase 11, as I`ve been told before. Or thereabouts. Any further north and the ceiling would be too low (the track gets quite close to the curved wall/ceiling around just before the stairs.)

The Larger satellite was right next to the core - it`d be positioned on the edge of the upper deck of 180top, or right on the edge.

There was (and still is) a black flat wall along the north east side of the track, on the final straight just before descent. It has the `cloud` edge cut into the top of it; this blocked the view of the larger satellite and the core entrance from guests before they turned the final corner into the descent straight, particularly as the ride vehicles rotated.

And as commando rabbit cleared up (thanks, and welcome, BTW!) the earth was indeed much smaller and less defined.

But now - a small revelation. I`m going out on a limb to say the original red strip lights were further infront of the beams that are still up there today; they stuck out more into the room than the beams do. Either that, or there are more beams not in the pictures we have. As for the flashing dome lights; there was no dome. At least not with the lights in them. The lights appear to have been simply in the `ceiling` of the station set. I`ll make it clearer in the following attachment.

And finally, Houston - we have a problem. I hope Jeffs DVD footage helps with this (and hope to see for myself soon!) but I agree with an earlier point raised; it would seem the girl isn`t where we thought she was. Watching the footage again, as the camera angle shifts as the car moves, we pass completley infront of her and to her left (our right) - something that`d be impossible if she was directly above the descent ramp. With this theory she`d need to be to the east of the cone shape. Not sure where exactly - roughly where the white square is in the pic below. ARGH!

I`ll be working on making the whole video presentable tomorrow; it`ll run from the right hand Network Ops to unload.

EDIT; after looking at the plans I`ll go out on another limb. The smaller sat was either on staircase 11, or where I thought the large sat was. This means the larger one was infact within the core. Both the videos and plans add weight to this. Especially when looking at the plan below; it all lines up from the video evidence, and the girl is indeed watching the astronaut. Just when we thought it was all over.... DOUBLE ARGH!

Your thoughts? And I`m sure there is someone at WDI right now rolling on the floor laughing their perverbial off reading these latest posts.
as for those laughing at WDI.... (i cant post my thoughts, they would look like _________ ) :lol: they could end the debate

i think you might be on to something with the girl location. a few posts back someone mention the frame around her was wider (like a 4 x 3) or something and the tube is 3 x 4 high looking.

martin, what video editing software do you use? i might pull up on of the construction photos tomorrow and draw in somethings and email it to you so i can fully understand the perspectiveon a more 3D scale. the diagram of the cut through is great and helping. just confused about some of the staircases etc etc and were they lie in those photos. good job on the drawing.

looking forward to the vids. great work. keep it up.

Figment82

I took a backstage walking tour, and our guide told us that the astronauts working on the "spaceship" (the vertical cylinder) were sealed up inside of the set during the refurb, then the whole thing was painted black. It's like a mini time capsule.

Not saying that I know more than the CM's that work there (I work merch, not ops!) but that's what I was told. We were able to walk all the way up to the top (past where the vehicles turn around) and I only saw the supports for the tv screens, nothing like a satelite. It was an amazing experience!

mayoki

Original Poster
I took a backstage walking tour, and our guide told us that the astronauts working on the "spaceship" (the vertical cylinder) were sealed up inside of the set during the refurb, then the whole thing was painted black. It's like a mini time capsule.

Every possible answer seems to cause 10 more questions...:veryconfu

Is that possible there is this "time capsule" of props in the spaceship/station? I guess if it was hollow, and it was a pain to get everthing down, I can see it. Also, it would explain why no one has been able to pinpoint what happened to everything.

Fascinating.

Omnispace

Unfortunately, I never had the chance to see the earlier version of Spaceship Earth. Floating down through a working space station sounds a heck of a lot more interesting that what is there now. Martin, your diagrams are very helpful in figuring the original placement of sets -- especially the photo montage.

From a "story" point of view, It would make the most sense that the woman was in the space station overseeing the work being done on the satellite. That would place her in the cylindrical portion above the descent ramp of the track, above what I suppose was the fog equipment. Descending backwards down the initial ramp into the "core" of the building, she would be about 90 degrees to one's right, perhaps in the background of the astronauts working on the satellite. This is not that unreasonable a placement considering the designers would want to focus guests' attention in that direction, (away from the blank wall to the left). I've noticed that there is a round "socket" on one side of the cylinder next to what people have been regarding as the "window". Could that perhaps be the terminus for the boom that was holding the satellite??

I find it unlikely that the satellite is closed-up behind the wall that is to the left of the woman's supposed location in the cylinder. According to the floor plan you posted, there is an emergency stairwell there. (btw, where are you people getting these cool plans??) The stairwell even appears in one of the photos someone posted earlier which shows the one side of the initial descent ramp with the curved roof and exit stairs beyond.

When talking about sets being covered-up, they could have been referring to the space station set itself. Perhaps the cloud shaped forms and acoustic panels were added later to disguise it from the top level. Was one able to see the space station before the vehicles rotated backwards and began their descent?

-dean

joel_maxwell

Every possible answer seems to cause 10 more questions...:veryconfu

Is that possible there is this "time capsule" of props in the spaceship/station? I guess if it was hollow, and it was a pain to get everthing down, I can see it. Also, it would explain why no one has been able to pinpoint what happened to everything.

Fascinating.
im not sure you could have said it better. i really dont see why they couldnt have just placed the small satelite/astro someplace up there in a hidden location ( meaning out of the way)

if they were removed, then why hasnt someone spotted them in a warehouse like all the other props.

EDIT: welcome to the boards Figment82... and thanks for the information. wait until martin gets ahold of yet more questions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom