Spaceship in Spaceship Earth

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
Interesting about this higher track idea.... of course that`s opened up a whole new load of questions :lol:

I'm informed it`s a Genie boom lift (imagine a small version of a cherry picker)
good, it keeps the thread going.

ill google image one to get the visual

I would LOVE to see your blueprints sometime!

I wonder if Disney has Archive videos (or film) of their rides? It would be great if they released their "Rides of Yesteryear" DVD. Can you imagine: Mr. Toads Wild Ride,20,000 leagues Under the Sea, Imagination I, Horizons, World of Motion, Spaceship Earth, Energy I, etc. How much would you pay?
$39.99? $29.99? How about $19.82?
Come to think of it, what a great tribute to Epcot, a DVD of the original attractions of Epcot.
you know were i live. :wave:

id pay a lot!

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I do know, though, that there's no real spur for cars to be taken off. I've been in the room within the confines of the building where they work on the cars currently off the track....Said room, though, is right next to the second level elevator stop, so I'm sure that has something to do with it..
Looks like I`ve found it. What a way to squeeze it in!

If I`m reading right, the `spur` would actually be a part of the track that allows the upper part of an individual car to slide sideways off the actual ride system - the bogie is attached to the elevated rails by 2 wheels on top, two on the outside, and one underneath in each of it`s 4 corners, much like a rollercoaster assembly. However, ontop of this chassis is a second platform with the pivot on it; I`d guess this can be removed sideways onto some sort of trolley and taken sideways into the elevator.

It looks like this area is around the 84ft level? I`d guess in the darkness right after Rome burning? Either that, or around the 115ft level; opposite the boy and girl on the videophones before the globe - opposite the original Network Ops Maps - but I suspect this may have been in conflict with the right hand side 1982 Network Ops / Comms Center mentioned earlier? Or down at 52ft, just after the Future City laser diorama, before the last descent- but that places it on a curve, something I doubt would be done when removing ride vehicle bodies.

The ride storage and maintainence room itself you mention looks to be next to Wardrobe and Ride Control, down in the underslung utility level at the 28ft level?

Sorry for the thread drift; rest assured I`ll be back up in 180top very soon! To prove it, here`s a googled image of a modern Genie boom lift (though on wheels) http://www.teamlorenz.com/images/garage 174.JPG - this makes sense since it`s located ontop of the final ascent tunnel roof area; this area is offset from the center of the Geosphere, where the hatch is, and would have to swing out and up to reach it.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I suppose I can be grateful of one thing; that video was shot in 1990, and shows you what appears to be the original, smaller earth projection. I zoomed in x10 on it and it still wasn`t as big as todays by the looks of it.

joel_maxwell

If I`m reading right, the `spur` would actually be a part of the track that allows the upper part of an individual car to slide sideways off the actual ride system - the bogie is attached to the elevated rails by 2 wheels on top, two on the outside, and one underneath in each of it`s 4 corners, much like a rollercoaster assembly. However, ontop of this chassis is a second platform with the pivot on it; I`d guess this can be removed sideways onto some sort of trolley and taken sideways into the elevator.

It looks like this area is around the 84ft level? I`d guess in the darkness right after Rome burning? Either that, or around the 115ft level; opposite the boy and girl on the videophones before the globe - opposite the original Network Ops Maps - but I suspect this may have been in conflict with the right hand side 1982 Network Ops / Comms Center mentioned earlier? Or down at 52ft, just after the Future City laser diorama, before the last descent- but that places it on a curve, something I doubt would be done when removing ride vehicle bodies.

The ride storage and maintainence room itself you mention looks to be next to Wardrobe and Ride Control, down in the underslung utility level at the 28ft level?

Sorry for the thread drift; rest assured I`ll be back up in 180top very soon! To prove it, here`s a googled image of a modern Genie boom lift (though on wheels) http://www.teamlorenz.com/images/garage 174.JPG - this makes sense since it`s located ontop of the final ascent tunnel roof area; this area is offset from the center of the Geosphere, where the hatch is, and would have to swing out and up to reach it.
martin, i would love (naturally) for a CM to be able to photo this for us. hopefully by the end of this threads life, we will know 99.9% of the complete working function of the entire attraction. :D

secondly, thanks for the googled image. i was going to get to that this morning. NOW all i need to complete the curiousity of what the hatch looks like and how it works with the 2 types of exterior (the membrane and tiles). these pics would be incredibly valuable.

how is the mini vid coming

mayoki

Original Poster
To prove it, here`s a googled image of a modern Genie boom lift (though on wheels) http://www.teamlorenz.com/images/garage 174.JPG - this makes sense since it`s located ontop of the final ascent tunnel roof area; this area is offset from the center of the Geosphere, where the hatch is, and would have to swing out and up to reach it.

I sounds like this Genie Boom lift has been up there since 1980's...was it loaded into the attraction before it was finished, or is there a way to get heavy equipment like this up there?

beanboon

Actually I think it looks more like this, and this item would probably fit into the freight elevator just fine.

http://www.wpi.edu/Academics/Depts/HUA/TT/Setdesign/genie.jpg

The hatch is located right above the lift, not offset.

I do also recall seeing an odd yellow/orange spool off to the side of the track at one point and thinking that might have had something to do with offloading cars. I don't recall exactly where it was, just remember seeing it.

joel_maxwell

Actually I think it looks more like this, and this item would probably fit into the freight elevator just fine.

http://www.wpi.edu/Academics/Depts/HUA/TT/Setdesign/genie.jpg

The hatch is located right above the lift, not offset.

I do also recall seeing an odd yellow/orange spool off to the side of the track at one point and thinking that might have had something to do with offloading cars. I don't recall exactly where it was, just remember seeing it.
interesting.... assuming the hatch is at the axis (so to speak) of the top of the geosphere, i guess the boom is right infront of you obviously behind cover from when you rotate at 180/top.

martin: what is our status of the fellows that were going to shot yesterday with a bulb bright enough to see from space (pun intended)?

Katya

Indeed, I believe that's what it looks like happens. Although I can't imagine it's next to Rome, on account of the elevator door is actually right behind the wall behind the Jewish/Islam scholars. Just pushes to one side and on you go. Wouldn't be a way to get the cars across to there. Not enough space.

As well as the 115 level is also not possible as far as I can see, on account of that elevator stop being in the tunnel just after and down a short set of stairs.

It's actually (now that I dig out my list of show scenes, elevator stops, emergency routes, etc. etc.) most likely at the 52' level that the cars are taken off, right next to the Cavemen/Mammoth scene, as this is also where there's a maintenance pit underneath the ride vehicles. Which is, believe it or not, the 4th elvator stop. Also, directly opposite of the curve you mention above, as the elevator opens on both sides.

The 28' and 40' levels are actually both maintenance and storage, and at 52' is the control room. Although, I'm pretty sure that there's no longer a real wardrobe room. There may have used to been, somewhere. But the inner workings of the building have changed a lot and as regular CMs we don't find ourselves up there often. At least I don't.

I sounds like this Genie Boom lift has been up there since 1980's...was it loaded into the attraction before it was finished, or is there a way to get heavy equipment like this up there?

Indeed, there's no way to get it down. I'm not sure when it was left up there, but I know I was told its there because, well, there's just no way to get it out.

And I can't say for sure If I can remember which of the two examples in the thread it is, but it is indeed at least similar.

joel_maxwell

Indeed, I believe that's what it looks like happens. Although I can't imagine it's next to Rome, on account of the elevator door is actually right behind the wall behind the Jewish/Islam scholars. Just pushes to one side and on you go. Wouldn't be a way to get the cars across to there. Not enough space.

As well as the 115 level is also not possible as far as I can see, on account of that elevator stop being in the tunnel just after and down a short set of stairs.

It's actually (now that I dig out my list of show scenes, elevator stops, emergency routes, etc. etc.) most likely at the 52' level that the cars are taken off, right next to the Cavemen/Mammoth scene, as this is also where there's a maintenance pit underneath the ride vehicles. Which is, believe it or not, the 4th elvator stop. Also, directly opposite of the curve you mention above, as the elevator opens on both sides.

The 28' and 40' levels are actually both maintenance and storage, and at 52' is the control room. Although, I'm pretty sure that there's no longer a real wardrobe room. There may have used to been, somewhere. But the inner workings of the building have changed a lot and as regular CMs we don't find ourselves up there often. At least I don't.
I was thinking it was next to Persia since that backups to the elevator shaft (level 84')

here is a cut-through to show the levels you are refering too. i thought this might be of assistance to show the maintanence level

SSE_Blueprint2.jpg

PBarton

Indeed, there's no way to get it down. I'm not sure when it was left up there, but I know I was told its there because, well, there's just no way to get it out.

And I can't say for sure If I can remember which of the two examples in the thread it is, but it is indeed at least similar.
OMG! We would all love to see photo's of ANY of these things! Had no idea that "cars" could be removed from the track - this is one of the all-time most interesting threads, I hope it goes on forever!

:sohappy:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The hatch is located right above the lift, not offset..
This would mean the lift is on top of the core? I was told it was ontop of the ascent tunnel (not saying it isn`t, just trying to get it right!)

Indeed, I believe that's what it looks like happens. Although I can't imagine it's next to Rome, on account of the elevator door is actually right behind the wall behind the Jewish/Islam scholars. Just pushes to one side and on you go. Wouldn't be a way to get the cars across to there. Not enough space.....most likely at the 52' level that the cars are taken off, right next to the Cavemen/Mammoth scene, as this is also where there's a maintenance pit underneath the ride vehicles. Which is, believe it or not, the 4th elvator stop. Also, directly opposite of the curve you mention above, as the elevator opens on both sides..
Rome didn`t look right to me either; the set as you point out is in the way. It just made most sense since it was adjacent and in the dark (where most Omnis tend to spur). I see the pit on the ascent side of 52ft, a little far away form the lift access, but it seems there`s only one single-width door into the lift hall here... on the descent side of 52' however (final turn before the descent tube to unload) there`s a set of double doors. At least there were in 1982! Could this be it? It`s also in the dark, just to the right of the 94 city model I mentioned earlier and in the darkness of Tomorrows Child too.

Jmaxwell; still waiting for a mission report! I havn`t done the video yet.... should have some time soon.

joel_maxwell

This would mean the lift is on top of the core? I was told it was ontop of the ascent tunnel (not saying it isn`t, just trying to get it right!)
this is what i remember reading in a previous post. on this topic.... of the 5 or so triangle/tiles that these men are standing on, which one is the hatch? (thanks DisneyPix for the photo) SSE_construction10.jpg

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
No idea! I`m still looking for a plan with the hatch. I did find this though

Attachments

• SSE Hatch exterior.jpg
    SSE Hatch exterior.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 263

Katya

Interesting. Like I said, I really haven't a clue how they get them on and off the tracks, but I also am pretty sure that they just don't do it all that often.

I'm not sure where the hatch is on the outside, but I am sure that you can see it even with work lights out if you're looking in the right place. And yes, the lift sits up next to the star projector and whatnot on the top area there, it doesn't move elsewhere.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Interesting. Like I said, I really haven't a clue how they get them on and off the tracks, but I also am pretty sure that they just don't do it all that often.

Along those lines, not every single Spaceship Earth vehicle is currently "in" the geosphere. There are fake spacer units that roll around, disguised to look like the audio/control units.

Last I knew, two vehicles have been sitting behind the Wonders of Life under tarps for a very long time.

joel_maxwell

Along those lines, not every single Spaceship Earth vehicle is currently "in" the geosphere. There are fake spacer units that roll around, disguised to look like the audio/control units.

Last I knew, two vehicles have been sitting behind the Wonders of Life under tarps for a very long time.
merf, dont tell me things like this... im goingto have to plan a MI-4 now.

:D

commandorabbit

With regards to the Earth projection. The current projection is definately different from the pre-94 rehab version. I remember being at the World while the refurb was happening and there being advertisements touting the new, modern satellite image of Earth. Something to the effect that it was the most detailed photo of its kind (at the time). I really remember there being a big deal about the change. Something along the lines as a thrilling finale with a magnificent new spaceship (i.e. the Earth projection).

I don't know if that is helpful at all, but I am absolutely certain that the current earth projection is the second version of the projection.

BTW: My eyes hurt after reading 23 pages of posts, hehe :D

DubyooDeeDubyoo

Today's the day when Epcotrob and his friend Jeff were planning to illuminate the top. Hope we'll hear from Rob soon.

Since we're talking about curtains near the old network ops scene, I don't know if it means anything but when you're transitioning past the family watching TV and into the boy's room, there's a gap in the curtains on your left that's basically at eye level and you can look into a room with bluish light (rear projectors for the previous scene? Didn't seem like it.) I didn't see anything interesting back there, but I thought I'd just bring it up because it didn't seem relevant but when I was making my rides I was looking everywhere for devices in the darkness and any visible "back of house" areas I could find.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who figured out if you look up and to the left of the "you've got a baby brother" scene following the possible girl-in-the-window that you can see black cutouts that appear to look like a crowd of people, and above them the twinkling fiber-optics that are reflected off the glass. As for the girl herself, Marin's video linked on Youtube a bit back kind of poses more questions than it answers. The few shapes lit up around her don't match up with the object in the flash photos. She's around there somewhere though, and when I asked a CM (the Eisenhower-playing-mandolin guy) about a stripped-down AA that was hidden up he nodded and made affirmative noises, although he didn't know whether or not the skin was recycled for the 94 translation scene. So I imagine the window-girl is lurking in there somewhere, although now she looks like the Terminator with human eyes and teeth attached.:lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom