Spaceship in Spaceship Earth

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I had a nice little treat this morning! I saw that nobody was going on SSE during early park hours this morning so I decided to go on. There wasn’t anybody in the cars in front or behind me so I took some time to look around with my flash. I didn’t take photos, though.
If I was the one person you missed, I would be extremely ed off at you.

vikescaper

I realize that I shouldn’t have done this and I apologize for ruining the experience. I did make sure that there wasn’t anybody in front or behind me and I even had to ask if the ride was open because nobody was in line. I only did this briefly during the descent and not during the rest of the ride but that doesn’t make what I did right. I will not do it again.

VicariousCorpse

I realize that I shouldn’t have done this and I apologize for ruining the experience. I did make sure that there wasn’t anybody in front or behind me and I even had to ask if the ride was open because nobody was in line. I only did this briefly during the descent and not during the rest of the ride but that doesn’t make what I did right. I will not do it again.
Don't apologize, you made sure you didn't ruin anyone's experience. You just made yours a little better. I'm only upset because you didn't take pictures!

Dragonman

My dream is to rip them down for good. I would do it free, :)
D5BB5AED-0F99-4C8A-BB82-D837FCC10220.gif

Polygorobo

I'd often heard for years about the "leftover space station painted black" in the top of SSE, but I'd never known the lore was so deep until I found this thread! I spent a good weekend reading through this whole thing (backwards, haha) and it's really amazing to me how many years people have been adding to it, all in shared love and memories of this singular attraction. I'm gonna go on a bit of a tangent, but I just wanna muse over how I got here.

I've been going to the parks for longer than I can remember, and definitely consider myself a geek and superfan on them, but the pre-2007 SSE was just a bit before my conscious memory. Since then, I'd honestly never really been too fond of the current version I've known, to the point where I was actually excited to hear about it getting a revamp in '21. (I could stand riding it well enough, but nothing in the majority really stood out to me, and everything beyond the top became my "check my phone" moment, other than an amused glance at the screen to see how many holes were in my face this time) My interest in SSE was weak enough that I never even considering finding videos of the older versions, as it never even crossed my mind how different they could be.

Only within the past couple weeks, I fell down a rabbithole that started from hearing a single comment (mentioning that the newsboy in the civil war scene used to be beside the track rather than shouting at a wall) and I finally took a glance at footage of the previous incarnations for the first time, where from another video comment, I heard about the astronauts and "window girl" and this fabled WDWmagic thread. I was led here by curiosity, at the same time as I was realizing how much I'd been missing for all these years.

To be honest, I feel almost a little betrayed, after hearing the beautiful score and seeing the set pieces of the Irons version for the first time, hearing the more-engaging narration from the previous versions, and comparing it to the current version I've known most of my life, with its half-hearted delivery and empty climax. I felt a bit jealous as I was scrolling through the earliest posts and seeing people speak so casually of that version, after having experienced it themselves.

I just wanted to say how much all of this has opened my eyes, from realizing how much history SSE truly has, along with seeing how beloved it is by so many people. I think this has all really given me a new appreciation for it. I'll still be softly hoping that a revamp comes soon and restores some of the glory of the previous incarnations (hopefully instead of ruining it further), but until then, I know with every future time I ride, I'll be keeping an eye out to catch a glimpse of the remains of the space station.

JoeCamel

I'd often heard for years about the "leftover space station painted black" in the top of SSE, but I'd never known the lore was so deep until I found this thread! I spent a good weekend reading through this whole thing (backwards, haha) and it's really amazing to me how many years people have been adding to it, all in shared love and memories of this singular attraction. I'm gonna go on a bit of a tangent, but I just wanna muse over how I got here.

I've been going to the parks for longer than I can remember, and definitely consider myself a geek and superfan on them, but the pre-2007 SSE was just a bit before my conscious memory. Since then, I'd honestly never really been too fond of the current version I've known, to the point where I was actually excited to hear about it getting a revamp in '21. (I could stand riding it well enough, but nothing in the majority really stood out to me, and everything beyond the top became my "check my phone" moment, other than an amused glance at the screen to see how many holes were in my face this time) My interest in SSE was weak enough that I never even considering finding videos of the older versions, as it never even crossed my mind how different they could be.

Only within the past couple weeks, I fell down a rabbithole that started from hearing a single comment (mentioning that the newsboy in the civil war scene used to be beside the track rather than shouting at a wall) and I finally took a glance at footage of the previous incarnations for the first time, where from another video comment, I heard about the astronauts and "window girl" and this fabled WDWmagic thread. I was led here by curiosity, at the same time as I was realizing how much I'd been missing for all these years.

To be honest, I feel almost a little betrayed, after hearing the beautiful score and seeing the set pieces of the Irons version for the first time, hearing the more-engaging narration from the previous versions, and comparing it to the current version I've known most of my life, with its half-hearted delivery and empty climax. I felt a bit jealous as I was scrolling through the earliest posts and seeing people speak so casually of that version, after having experienced it themselves.

I just wanted to say how much all of this has opened my eyes, from realizing how much history SSE truly has, along with seeing how beloved it is by so many people. I think this has all really given me a new appreciation for it. I'll still be softly hoping that a revamp comes soon and restores some of the glory of the previous incarnations (hopefully instead of ruining it further), but until then, I know with every future time I ride, I'll be keeping an eye out to catch a glimpse of the remains of the space station.
Now go watch Martin's Vids

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom