Spaceship in Spaceship Earth

Figments Friend

So, Fun fact.... what I've dubbed the "Matrix" intro to 180 Top has been broken for over a month now it seems and secondly, it's nice to see the stars move, when you are stuck up there. Saw it nicely from the matrix tunnel.

Yes, it was sad to see the 'Matrix' turned off when I was on the Attraction earlier this week, but nice to see the stars through there.

Anyone know why that area has been out of commission for over a month now...?

-

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yes, it was sad to see the 'Matrix' turned off when I was on the Attraction earlier this week, but nice to see the stars through there.

Anyone know why that area has been out of commission for over a month now...?

-
I’m not saying it’s the reason, but relying on one projector for one large, story driving moment was a mistake.

Horizons had a whole spare Omnimax projector in 1983. Just saying.

Figments Friend

I liked the original 'neon' tunnel entrance to 180 Top.
The 'moving laser dots' that were added later were okay, but i always noticed the narrow 'screens' between the 'neon' bars.
The original was cool as it was.

I liked the 'Matrix' too...as it 'fit' the story elements being told at that point in the experience.
But if given a choice, it's the original tunnel in glorious pink and blue 'neon' for me purely from a nostalgia standpoint.

-

Dragonman

In terms of removed animatronics/full size figures over the years I believe this is it:

-1 Scaffolding Egyptian
-3 Greek Theatre Actors
-1 Typekit/Bedroom Boy
-3 Network Communications Center Employees/Paperless Office Lady
-Keiko Girl
-2 Astronauts

(Various are still in the ride but redressed and in new scenes or hidden out of view)

Dragonman

Scaffolding man was just removed I believe (he wasn’t an animatronic as such)

Yes that’s what I meant by “full sized figures”. The astronauts, right side comms center lady, the background Greek actor, and Keiko were also static figures.

Speaking of which, I believe it was discussed in the 1996 tour video that some of the removed figures and animatronics were just lying behind the show scenes. It has happened before with other attractions so I wouldn’t be surprised if true.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yes that’s what I meant by “full sized figures”. The astronauts, right side comms center lady, the background Greek actor, and Keiko were also static figures.

Speaking of which, I believe it was discussed in the 1996 tour video that some of the removed figures and animatronics were just lying behind the show scenes. It has happened before with other attractions so I wouldn’t be surprised if true.
Revelation. The comms woman had at least head turns.

Dragonman

Here’s a great shot of the network ops console from Jeff Lange. I believe this is the 86 version as the man doesn’t have a vest on and the lady was moved already making him the central figure in the scene. It’s always cool to see details that you normally can’t under normal ride lighting.
888B6FA1-8320-4867-A25C-8A158A08BD43.jpeg

KikoKea

I finally saw the spaceship!! So very cool. We rode it several times to see it - even my DH was impressed with its size- and to get another whiff of burning Rome. As much as I love SE, I must admit it is in need of much love. Walking around Epcot, it was depressing. I think Disney waited too long and now "finds itself in a real fix", as my grandmother used to say.

Dragonman

I finally saw the spaceship!! So very cool. We rode it several times to see it - even my DH was impressed with its size- and to get another whiff of burning Rome. As much as I love SE, I must admit it is in need of much love. Walking around Epcot, it was depressing. I think Disney waited too long and now "finds itself in a real fix", as my grandmother used to say.

Welcome to the club 😉

Speaking of which, how many people here have seen the spaceship/station in its prime back in 82’-94’?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom