Spaceship Earth

HMGhost13

well..what is Epcot's theme? well, i don't know about you...but E.P.C.O.T. had a theme...Epcot is just carrying it over. the true outlook of E.P.CO.T. that disney had is over, they changed the name...spiced up the trademark which is fine with me.

i heard from two cast members, i know i'll get criticized by this cause everyone does, but i heard from them anyways that the hand is only there for the 100 years.

jcrb

Originally posted by CDS Disney
Does any one else dislike the giant hand over SE. I think it takes away from the original theme of EPCOT.

I think the sign is ok. Personally I like the ride. The sign is a remembrance of the 2000 one.

Disney4648

Originally posted by CDS Disney
Does any one else dislike the giant hand over SE. I think it takes away from the original theme of EPCOT.

I really don't mind the giant hand. Spaceship earth has been nothing but a round ball for a long time and it needs a bit of a change.:animwink:

Dizknee_Phreek

Originally posted by HMGhost13
i heard from two cast members, i know i'll get criticized by this cause everyone does, but i heard from them anyways that the hand is only there for the 100 years.

this is actually the first time i've ever heard this....dear God, we can only hope!!! *keeps fingers crossed*

cymbaldiva

Originally posted by Dizknee_Phreek

this is actually the first time i've ever heard this....dear God, we can only hope!!! *keeps fingers crossed*

No Kidding! Best rumor I've heard in quite a while!! I'm soooo hoping it's true..:)

Has anyone ever figured out what "Pupe" is supposed to be when it's at home??? :veryconfu

jrashadb

Originally posted by cymbaldiva

No Kidding! Best rumor I've heard in quite a while!! I'm soooo hoping it's true..:)

Has anyone ever figured out what "Pupe" is supposed to be when it's at home??? :veryconfu

I don't know if it's true, but if it is it will make me a happy, happy boy...

As for Pupe... um, how do I say this...
Instead of upe, it's normally spelled with an oop. That's just a funny way of spelling it.
At least, I assume that's what the deal is... :lookaroun

Fido

Someone mentioned the Castle/Cake transformation and how they liked it. We visited one time when they were in the middle of that. I really hated it because I like seeing the castle the way it's supposed to be (I really like the design and it's one of the first things I remember seeing on my first visit so long ago), not some gaudy cake! On top of that it was a pretty much a monsoon the whole time we were there (hurricane off the coast in September), so we were dodging heavy rain the entire week as well.

In reflection it was the worst trip ever. I now associate the ugly incomplete castle cake (complete with big unsightly crane) with that trip. My point to this ramble is this: I like the look of the Epcot sign 1000 times better than that damnable cake! At least it doesn't totally transform SE into something completely different.

I realize that temporary changes like the cake are no big deal when you live in FLA and get to go more often than me, but it sucks when you have to wait a year or two or three just to have something like that happen.:mad:

pnutbutr

Originally posted by Fido
Someone mentioned the Castle/Cake transformation and how they liked it. We visited one time when they were in the middle of that. I really hated it because I like seeing the castle the way it's supposed to be (I really like the design and it's one of the first things I remember seeing on my first visit so long ago), not some gaudy cake!

My point to this ramble is this: I like the look of the Epcot sign 1000 times better than that damnable cake! At least it doesn't totally transform SE into something completely different.

Amen, my brother, amen! I hated that cake. I thought it would be awesome to go while the whole birthday thing was going on and I was looking forward to seeing the cake, but after about two days of the cake I wanted the old castle back. I'm so lad the didn't mollest the Magic Kingdom too much for my last trip during the 100 Years of Magic celebration (Why do I never plan trips when the place is "normal"?). I think the sign is cool though. Epcot's image has changed and I think its appearance might as well too.

GrinningGhost

The pic says it all. What do you think of the pink canopies in the pin central area? With leave a legacy and pin central and the "Epcot" sign, it feels more like a shopping mall instead of the work of art it was intended to be.

I hope your rumor is true HMGhost13! Sometimes less is more...

Attachments

• too_many_bups.jpg
    too_many_bups.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 85

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
And for every person that hates it theres one that likes it and 20 that couldnt care less. He who shouts loudest is not always the conveyour of fact.:)

mickeyfanatics

My wife and I kinda like the EPCOT sign. It is not as good as the 2000 one though. I have to agree that at least they did not alter the main structure of the building the way they turned the beautiful Cinderella Castle into a Barbie Pink Birthday Cake designed by 3rd graders. UGLY! I was so happy when they returned it to normal. In fact, that was one period when I took no protos of the caster for the entire celebration.

GrinningGhost

Thanks Diva! :)

I can understand how budget constraints and demands from the merchandising department can impede the designers and architects. Not to mention adding-on to an existing design has it's own inherent challenges....

Let's just hope that next time Spaceship earth is updated, it's done right. To enhance the appearance rather than generate merchandising opportunities. I'd love to see more wide open spaces that accent the grandeur of Epcot. Give the guest that feeling that they're in a place like none other on earth.

<steps off soapbox>;)

Fido

Well I don't really think that the new Epcot sign is for the purpose of generating merchandising opportunities any more than the rest of WDW is. It's a business existing to make profit after all. My idea of what you're talking about would be if they stuck a 'Spaceship Earth' gift shop in your face right after you exit the ride system. In my opinion the new sign is just an attempt to give the park a recognizable logo to go with the symbol of SE. The longer this thread gets, the more I'm liking the sign for some reason.

stingrock23

I can only hope the hand/wand goes after the 100 year celebration is over. I think SE looks much better all by itself. the 2000 sign was pretty cool, but not the wand. I know i'm entering epcot, i dont need a big sign to tell me that. They also need to bring back the old epcot logo. (hops in time machine and goes back to epcot in 1989)
:animwink:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom