News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

James J

In the Parks
No
Made a video today which included talking about the reconfiguring of the queue & load/unload ride track for Spaceship Earth during the reimagining. Other people on this forum know more specifics on this project than I do, but just wanted to share this rudimentary visualization of the possible new layout and how the queue could be moved inside by bumping out the ride track, something my sources have said is the plan for a while. Rumor only, of course!

j52Mf2e.jpg

In the concept art of the new building you can spot the exit ramp you currently have from the elevated ride track back down to ground level, except now it's pushed all the way out to the back of where the VIP lounge approximately is, lending more to this idea of reshaping the track around the perimeter of the new rear building.

ygqxTgI.jpg

If you see the post from @marni1971 a few pages back, it's now looking unlikely that load/unload will be reconfigured.

Haymarket2008

Made a video today which included talking about the reconfiguring of the queue & load/unload ride track for Spaceship Earth during the reimagining. Other people on this forum know more specifics on this project than I do, but just wanted to share this rudimentary visualization of the possible new layout and how the queue could be moved inside by bumping out the ride track, something my sources have said is the plan for a while. Rumor only, of course!

j52Mf2e.jpg

In the concept art of the new building you can spot the exit ramp you currently have from the elevated ride track back down to ground level, except now it's pushed all the way out to the back of where the VIP lounge approximately is, lending more to this idea of reshaping the track around the perimeter of the new rear building.

ygqxTgI.jpg

@marni1971 is suggesting that the queue/post show building may not actually be going through as extensive a change. Still interesting stuff.

MouseBrayden

@marni1971 is suggesting that the queue/post show building may not actually be going through as extensive a change. Still interesting stuff.
Yeah if they wanted to get the attraction back online sooner not changing the track would be a big help. I do find it sort of weird the outdoor queue is still visible in the Epcot overview art, although so is the original tram loop they already demolished so who knows

MouseBrayden

Looks like another MickeyViews vs Martin disparity. Makes this place fun.
Not refuting Martin, I didn't know this was a contended idea. He knows more than I do especially on the EPCOT developments. I do believe that load/unload track change was the plan at least back at D23 since that art they showed corroborates what I heard. Given the way the budget and time tables can be trimmed down you'd think redoing the entire bottom level of track would be the easiest thing to cut tbh.

DreamfinderGuy

It would be quite strange to leave the Project Tomorrow building completely untouched. At the bare minimum they’re gonna have to modify the building or install a new post show.

MouseBrayden

It would be quite strange to leave the Project Tomorrow building completely untouched. At the bare minimum they’re gonna have to modify the building or install a new post show.
The thing I'm confused on is I thought the whole point of demo'ing Project Tomorrow was to redo the track unload/load and queue, if they aren't doing that anymore why even bother building a new building on the same footprint?

I'm thinking @marni1971 might be right that the whole plan with the new building might be in jeopardy at the point because I know for a fact Harmonious is so over budget it has sucked up a ton of the overhaul contingency money. Would make sense that would lead to cuts elsewhere as a result. 😬

Last edited:

jt04

The thing I'm confused on is I thought the whole point of demo'ing Project Tomorrow was to redo the track unload/load and queue, if they aren't doing that anymore why even bother building a new building on the same footprint? Maybe they aren't if the track reconfig stuff is off the table now. 🤔

I favor them keeping the footprint as is if they can also fix the clunking track. The post show area and corporate space seem like valuable assets if they reimagine them.

Starting to seem like they may be reconsidering some stuff which seems even more likely with a new CEO in charge.

Last edited:

tparris

I favor them keeping the footprint as is it they can also fix the clunking track. The post show area and corporate space seem like valuable assets if they reimagine them.

Starting to seem like they may be reconsidering some stuff which seems even more likely with a new CEO in charge.
Unfortunate if true. It desperately needs a complete retracking.

matt9112

The thing I'm confused on is I thought the whole point of demo'ing Project Tomorrow was to redo the track unload/load and queue, if they aren't doing that anymore why even bother building a new building on the same footprint?

I'm thinking @marni1971 might be right that the whole plan with the new building might be in jeopardy at the point because I know for a fact Harmonious is so over budget it has sucked up a ton of the overhaul contingency money. Would make sense that would lead to cuts elsewhere as a result. 😬

I find it absurd how corps do this. If you blow your department out of the water you should be held accountable and reprimanded adjust budget for that project it should never (steal money) from somewhere else.

MouseBrayden

I find it absurd how corps do this. If you blow your department out of the water you should be held accountable and reprimanded adjust budget for that project it should never (steal money) from somewhere else.
I think it's even worse than Harmonious going over budget and eating up the Epcot Overhaul contingency money, it's possible it may have already taken ALL of it and now it's eating into the budgets of OTHER projects. Would explain the new uncertainty in us getting the previously planned new building + expanded load track & indoor queue for Spaceship Earth, it's probably the most expensive non-essential expenditure in the park.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I think it's even worse than Harmonious going over budget and eating up the Epcot Overhaul contingency money, it's possible it may have already taken ALL of it and now it's eating into the budgets of OTHER projects. Would explain the new uncertainty in us getting the previously planned new building + expanded load track & indoor queue for Spaceship Earth, it's probably the most expensive non-essential expenditure in the park.
Did you check the Guardians budget?

jt04

Boarding Groups and fast passes would go a long way in minimizing the outdoor queues around SSE and their effect on crowd flow. Along with the new east and west bypasses which I assume are permanent.

tparris

Boarding Groups and fast passes would go a long way in minimizing the outdoor queues around SSE and their effect on crowd flow. Along with the new east and west bypasses which I assume are permanent.
I believe I remember someone here saying the bypasses are temporary. It would be nice if they weren’t though

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom