News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

DDLand

“Throughout the attraction, you’ll hear new narration and see how light plays a central role in our shared human journey, coming to life in dynamic ways in a celebration of the magic that’s possible when we all come together. “

This attraction might turn out incredibly good, but I’m leaning towards it being incredibly vacuous. That is the most bizarre description. It’s almost like they came up with the story with a neural net designed to put random phrases together. If the same team that wrote this description is writing the story then we’re screwed.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It will be interesting to see how they integrate it. I like the concept art of light coming from objects. Gives it a somewhat ethereal feel. There's a lot of opportunity to do some impressive dynamic lighting effects inside the ride if they do go that route.
Lots of fibre optics type effects.

I’ve said it before, I hope I’m wrong on the length of downtime. Perhaps with the budget cut it'll be shorter.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Am I missing something? I was hopeful about the SSE update but this "story light" stuff is starting to sound ridiculous..

Do you think "story light" is more out of place as opposed to what must have been the original pitch:

I've a great idea for the big icon of "Future World"... a giant geodesic sphere with a ride in it called "Spaceship Earth."

Oh, so this is going to be about the future of space travel and the Earth as the heart of a future galactic empire?

No, it'll be about the past.

In *Future* World.

Yeah, the history of *communication*!!

Don't you mean the *future* of communication. And by "communication," don't you mean Earth and human civilization?

No, it'll be a history of advancements in *communication*.

Oh, so that by looking at the past, we'll be able to envision the future of communication around the globe and across galactic empires. We're at the beginning of a new age of computers and we can show all the ways that computers will change communication. So, we'll need to get in touch with the best science fiction writers and futurists to help us develop just a whole bunch of scenes of the future of communication.

No, we'll just need to show that computers have been invented and then just throw up some fuzzy, sparkly projections hinting that there's a future somewhere for computers and advancements of communication with just some hand-wavy aspirational language.

And you're calling this "Spaceship Earth"?

Yeah, we'll have one scene where we can see earth from space.

But it's all about the history of communication and not at all about space travel or actual examples of the future of communication?

Yeah. Whadya think?

Well, if Magic Kingdom's Pirates of the Caribbean has shown us, if you leave a ride up long enough, people become attached to it no matter how little sense it makes, so, I'm green lighting it!!

FigmentJedi

Do you think "story light" is more out of place as opposed to what must have been the original pitch:

I've a great idea for the big icon of "Future World"... a giant geodesic sphere with a ride in it called "Spaceship Earth."

Oh, so this is going to be about the future of space travel and the Earth as the heart of a future galactic empire?
You do know the name pre-dates Disney right? That it was a term cooked up by the inventor of geodesic spheres to describe how we're all in this together and we need to communicate and cooperate like a ship's crew to achieve peace and keep our planet habitable?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You do know the name pre-dates Disney right? That it was a term cooked up by the inventor of geodesic spheres to describe how we're all in this together and we need to communicate and cooperate like a ship's crew to achieve peace and keep our planet habitable?

You do know Disney put a ride about the *history* of Communication in a section of a park called *Future* World?

You do know that Disney could have changed the name of that golf ball any time they wanted to?

You do know that the ride doesn't really hit on the theme on how we need communication **to keep our planet habitable**?

lentesta

Premium Member

This is a perfect description of what SSE is. Its symbolism tied together everything in the old Future World and World Showcase - the literal embodiment of the park's purpose.

trainplane3

Concept art (yes I know just concept art) doesn't show the screens on the ride vehicles...
The squares of the screens are still there sadly. I'm just hoping they don't use them. It'd be nice to remove them completely instead of covering with a piece of plastic.
Spaceship-Earth_Full_37483.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom