News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

WEDwaydatamover

I like the Sean Connery idea pmaljr. The Jeremy Irons narration and musical score was an intense. The attraction deserves that epic high.

We can do better.

I'd love to hear a moment of Tomorrows Child as a reflection.

WEDwaydatamover

Do those Alucobond tiles ever have to be replaced or repainted? I don't know if paint is the right word.

Surely they get damaged or get knicked and it's not a one size fits all sphere.

WEDwaydatamover

Brave decision. Kudos to management.
What's a brave decision? To take a worse than privous existing attraction and make it even worse?

Mayby they can add a dessert menu to those touchscreen and have your worms & dirt cupcake ready for you at the end while they capture a take home photo with a dunce cap ready to buy in 3 hours.

Last edited:

KrazyKat

This is coming from a WDW fanatic who’s first ride ever at WDW was in 1988 on Spaceship Earth with my Mother. SSE has always been my favorite sentimental ride because of that memory especially since she passed away in 2006. This attraction is always a “must do” for me every trip. However, I am incredibly excited to see what WDI has planned for SSE!!! Yes it will stink not being able to ride it those trips I’ll probably take from 2020-2022, but I am very much looking forward to seeing and experiencing what we finally get!

Maeryk

After giving this a little more thought, as exciting as the prospect of a full refurb is... two years or more??? C'mon.

The entirety of EPCOT Center took only three years to build from start to finish. Spaceship Earth, in its original construction, took only slightly more than two years (26 months) to build. And they are taking somewhere between 2-3 years to refurb it?

I know Disney has slowed construction projects to an absolutely glacial pace in the last decade or so, but that's absolutely ridiculous.

It takes a lot longer to work within an enclosed space in an open park, than it does to work from a building spec drawing and install as you go up in a controlled, non public access environment.

They built the bottle around the ship.. now they have to repaint and remast the ship through the neck of the bottle.

Maeryk

I can't imagine the ride never re-opening. Disney is not going to just tear down that entire massive structure. But I could see it being seriously changed to where the ride does not resemble anything of what we know of Spaceship Earth today. Thankfully, it sounds like that's not what's being contemplated. But plans can always change.

It wouldn't hurt my feelings one bit if they put the original time racers concept in there.. just sayin.

sedati

Very exciting. I’ve posted several times on what I felt needed to be addressed here and am thrilled that Earth Station and queue might be altered.

ppete1975

hopefully unlike recent history they save the mural
fountains and murals.... there are more...

HORIZONS-MURAL-Rober-McCall.jpg
Pavilion Tree Mural.jpg
figmentmural.jpg
mural.jpg

disneyflush

What's a brave decision? To take a worse than privous existing attraction and make it even worse?

Mayby they can add a dessert menu to those touchscreen and have your worms & dirt cupcake ready for you at the end while they capture a take home photo with a dunce cap ready to buy in 3 hours.

Easy now. I'm not going to try and unwrap whatever logic puzzle you just threw out so I'll just say based on my previous 5 years of posting history that I agree with some semblance of the direction of your statement pertaining to cupcakes and I guess photos maybe. We'll both be winners then. Taking a huge people-eater out of rotation for 2 years to refurb it in any way is brave when dealing with the crowds they have. The easy thing to do would be to let it stay in operation forever until it just stopped working and have people complain about a lack of proper maintenance along the way. Point that rage laser in some other direction.

*previous

TwilightZone

Hey, I'm all for omnimovers. I love the people mover.

All I was getting that was I understand back in the 80s it would have been exciting for a lot of people. These days, not so much. I would much rather they do stick something IP based in there, being the parks icon.

Keep the omnimover part of course but the history of communication? Naaaa
Are you nuts?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom