News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

jt04

“Time travelers, take note that the iconic Spaceship Earth attraction at EPCOT will also continue to be available in its current state while we pause on its planned refurbishment...”

Not sure how I feel...that doesn’t sound promising that it will happen anytime soon.
Kicking the can down the road. This just increases the odds of a 20K type closure in the future imo.

Tom P.

Advertisement
Kicking the can down the road. This just increases the odds of a 20K type closure in the future imo.
Disney has proven me wrong before, but I cannot see them completely closing Spaceship Earth. That ride is synonymous with EPCOT in many people's minds. I could see them letting this "pause" last for the next 10 years, but I can't imagine they will shut it down completely.

Surferboy567

Disney has proven me wrong before, but I cannot see them completely closing Spaceship Earth. That ride is synonymous with EPCOT in many people's minds. I could see them letting this "pause" last for the next 10 years, but I can't imagine they will shut it down completely.
No way, this current version of the ride probably won’t last 2 years. It is super old, prone to multiple breakdowns and even has rumors that the structural intergrity isn’t the best. This needs to be updated also the ride itself really needs it, not to mention the track.

It won’t be shut down becuase as you said spaceship earth is so important to EPCOT but, it’s definitely going to have to be refurbished extensively.

Walt d

The site which shall not be named is reporting SSE will close in 2020 for 2 years for a complete refurb as part of the larger re-imagining of Epcot. It would re-open on the parks 40th anniversary in 2022.

EDIT: Work could include track replacement, scene updates (especially from the Industrial age onward), boarding/unboarding relocation, and a completely new post show building.

Seems logical that there would be a significant change to the landscaping and grounds around the attraction as well.
I would of thought it would be ready by the 50th.. it sounds very interesting and Worth the wait I’m sure”

Mac Tonight

Slightly random but there's a documentary on Hulu called Spaceship Earth about the group of scientists who lived in the Biosphere 2 in 1991.

They talk a bit about geodesic spheres, but only included one photo of a small group of them standing in front of the namesake attraction. Still, a truly fascinating story!

JustInTime

Do we actually believe the SSE redo will move forward beyond this? I personally don’t see it happening t which saddens me. It looked great and was one of the few things I was excited about for EPCOT.

Rob562

Slightly random but there's a documentary on Hulu called Spaceship Earth about the group of scientists who lived in the Biosphere 2 in 1991.

They talk a bit about geodesic spheres, but only included one photo of a small group of them standing in front of the namesake attraction. Still, a truly fascinating story!
FYI, the origin and meaning of the term "Spaceship Earth" predates EPCOT by quite a bit...

-Rob

Movielover

Rumor has it that the Rome is burning smell isn't there. I'm guessing the effect just isn't working and that's the issue because there are scents on Pirates.
Rumor has it that the smell was reminding Chapek of the scent of burning money and it triggered him so much that he had the scent machines taken to the empty plot of land formally known as The Carcass Of Inoventions and ordered the Imagineers to perform a Office-Space-like rapid disassembly until there was nothing left...

My source:
1594718216713.png

;)

Top Bottom