News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

HauntedMansionFLA

So Test Track is down for reburb? I wasn't sure.
Yes. My Disney Experience on 1/14/2020
B3D37553-DE98-453C-898D-B1BC1CF863CD.png

CJR

Considering the state of it prior to this, the situation is largely unchanged...At least now there is a sign of something coming that will improve the situation.

And multiple new things to see and do including upgraded Circle Vision shows, a new film in The Land, and a new ride. So, yeah, I would say even a notch up. Heck, half the entrance is complete with planters instead of stones. I'd argue that EPCOT 2020 will beat out 2019. And we still have SSE open for a short bit of time.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Wow Epcot is roooooough right now. If someone were going to three parks and asked which one to skip, it would be Epcot by MILES. And probably for years to come.

Compared to last year, Epcot's missing Test Track, Club Cool, a gift shop, and whatever filler they stuck in Innoventions (Colortopia, LAB). And most of the Innoventions stuff has found a new home. And in three days EPCOT will have two new movies and the singalong.

We're starting to get into the same derangement syndrome that people had with DHS when there was a lot of construction happening, namely the **feeling** that everything was gone and closed when in fact it was just two things.

The only major things missing from Epcot now as compared to historically is Energy (and judging by the lack of crowds it had, not many are missing it), WoL, and Test Track. And TT is only in a short refurb and will be back soon. Then SSE will be down for 2-3 years, but then Rat will be open this Summer and GotG and PLAY! the next (and who knows with Mary Poppins).

So... let's nip this "EPCOT is a complete construction zone and only has half the things it used to have!!!!" mania in the bud. It's currently in a state that the normal winter refurbs would put it in.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Compared to last year, Epcot's missing Test Track, Club Cool, a gift shop, and whatever filler they stuck in Innoventions (Colortopia, LAB). And most of the Innoventions stuff has found a new home. And in three days EPCOT will have two new movies and the singalong.

We're starting to get into the same derangement syndrome that people had with DHS when there was a lot of construction happening, namely the **feeling** that everything was gone and closed when in fact it was just two things.

The only major things missing from Epcot now as compared to historically is Energy (and judging by the lack of crowds it had, not many are missing it), WoL, and Test Track. And TT is only in a short refurb and will be back soon. Then SSE will be down for 2-3 years, but then Rat will be open this Summer and GotG and PLAY! the next (and who knows with Mary Poppins).

So... let's nip this "EPCOT is a complete construction zone and only has half the things it used to have!!!!" mania in the bud. It's currently in a state that the normal winter refurbs would put it in.
TT is just a refurb at the moment, while SSE will be sorely missed while down, Ratatouille will be open. World Showcase isn't walled off, its really just the spine. Its an overreaction, like you mentioned similar to DHS was.

Last edited:

No Name

If you look at it on a spreadsheet then sure. But for folks actually in the park, there are lots of construction walls that don’t make for a pleasant experience and aren’t part of normal winter refurbs.

Also Backlot, GMR, LMA, SoA, etc. really did make up about half of DHS. The park was down to four relatively short rides. That was an absolutely valid feeling and literally the reason DHS’s ToT isn’t a GotG ride right now.

When people feel a certain way there’s usually a reason.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member

I'm not talking about a list of closures, I'm talking about look/feel/atmosphere. It's not a pleasant place to just BE right now. It's ugly.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If you look at it on a spreadsheet then sure. But for folks actually in the park, there are lots of construction walls that don’t make for a pleasant experience and aren’t part of normal winter refurbs.

Also Backlot, GMR, LMA, SoA, etc. really did make up about half of DHS. The park was down to four relatively short rides. That was an absolutely valid feeling and literally the reason DHS’s ToT isn’t a GotG ride right now.

When people feel a certain way there’s usually a reason.
I'm not talking about a list of closures, I'm talking about look/feel/atmosphere. It's not a pleasant place to just BE right now. It's ugly.

I'm pretty much in agreement that it's just a *feeling* of the place being a shadow of its former self. New construction happens and it doesn't mean a significant loss of what the park has to offer. I certainly wouldn't recommend anyone to miss out what a park has to offer because of walled off construction zones.

For DHS, those feelings led people to proclaim that there was practically nothing left (this was before GMR also shut down). Backlot Tour had already been gone for awhile and when LMA went down, it was proclamations of nothing left even though it was just Backlot and LMA as main attractions that were gone. The playground, the empty Streets, an unused flex theater, and a few shops were only ancillary parts of the park that were also gone. All the other rides (as few as there were) and all the shows were still there. Anything else closed was replaced (Animation by Launch Bay; Idol by Frozen; Osborne by new Holiday shows). Plus there were the new nighttime shows (an actual fireworks show for a while) and an expanded TSMM.

HauntedMansionFLA

So, what happens to CMs when their attraction goes into refurb, either short term or long term? I assume they get reassigned to other attractions?
Yes, they get deployed to other attractions if they are full time to get their union contract hours. Part timers hopefully are crossed trained in other attractions but they have to fight for hours but guaranteed zero hours.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom