Spaceship Earth Burning Rome Scene

HMF

Yes, and I miss that effect terribly. I keep looking for it hoping they brought it back... :cry:

As for the smell, I remember it being there last March. :shrug:

WDI doesn't like it for some reason. But rather than updating it, They would rather just turn it off.

The MadHatter

Seems like a good time to ask, but in the Phoenicians scene with the two boats, did the boats ever used to move up and down like they were floating? or have they always been static? May just be my memory playing tricks on me.

Definitely miss the chariot projection though.

i remember the boats moving as well...kinda rocking back and forth

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Seems like a good time to ask, but in the Phoenicians scene with the two boats, did the boats ever used to move up and down like they were floating? or have they always been static? May just be my memory playing tricks on me.

Definitely miss the chariot projection though.

Yes, they normally do move up and down, and I believe the effect was enhanced to be more movement in the last refurb.

LivinwtheLand

Yes, the boats did and do move up and down to simulate them floating. Also, the animated chariot I can absolutely confirm as being removed as part of the most previous lengthy refurb to SSE. I rode it the last day it was open and the first day it reopened. I ALWAYS looked for the chariot. It's a memory now folks. As for the smell in the burning Rome scene, the signature aroma is always there for me, reminds me of the Dinosaur set in Universe of Energy. Whether it is there or just my brain telling me it's there....I will find out tomorrow. I will go and check it out.

MarkTwain

Rode on December 29, 2011:

1. Chariots were not running,
2. Burning Rome wasn't noticeable, if it was operating at all.
3. The Phoenicians' boats were bobbing beautifully, as I excitedly proclaimed to the bewildered person I was riding with

TheDisneyMagic

Rode on December 29, 2011:

1. Chariots were not running,
2. Burning Rome wasn't noticeable, if it was operating at all.
3. The Phoenicians' boats were bobbing beautifully, as I excitedly proclaimed to the bewildered person I was riding with

I am pretty sure the Chariots have been disabled since 2007.

sparky03

I always liked the burning smell too but I have to confess ... last time I rode was Dec, 2010 and it was quite chilly out so I was wearing a jacket when I rode. For some reason, the smell got into my jacket and stayed there so I smelled like burning Rome for the next couple of days. It was so bad that when I was standing in line for other attractions people were giving me funny looks like "do you ever bathe?" I eventually had to take the garment to the laundry and air it out with a dryer sheet, which still didn't get it out entirely.

But I miss the chariot projection effect too and see no excuse for its disappearance. :)

I thought Rome didn't smell as distinctive last time I rode it. I guess I'm not crazy after all! I sure hope they fix it at some point. My brother and I always said that's where the secret company barbeque was.

"Order up!" :p

PhilharMagician

The smell was faint at best for the last 2 weeks of October.
As already mentioned, the chariot was not running. Unfortunately the chariot has not been working for years! :fork:
The projection for the mammoth scene was very dim. Almost to the point where you could not see it at all.
Of course the paper boy was selling papers to the wall. :shrug:
On the decent the some of strings of lights that hang from the ceiling creating the infinate light strings were not lit. That really ruins the infinite light string affect. Oh, wait I am not supposed to see the ride affect, I am supposed to be playing with that rediculous touch screen planning my life. :hammer:

I really miss the time/light tunnel that use to be at the top of the ride. It offered a great transition prior to netering the planetarium, and the timing was at least right on when the car rotated to "Spaceship Earth". I really have not been able to grasp the new computer room.

Has the paper boy always been like this since the refurb?

I used to take art classes with one of the Imagineers who was working on the refurb at the time, and I remember asking him about that after seeing the paper boy at the wall during a guest preview. I think he said that it was broken for the time being, and he would be moved back eventually. I want to say that I did see him correctly after it opened up again, but I think my brains messing with me. (Or it was just wishful thinking...) :hammer: Did they ever move him back to his old place since the refurb?

the-reason14

I used to take art classes with one of the Imagineers who was working on the refurb at the time, and I remember asking him about that after seeing the paper boy at the wall during a guest preview. I think he said that it was broken for the time being, and he would be moved back eventually. I want to say that I did see him correctly after it opened up again, but I think my brains messing with me. (Or it was just wishful thinking...) :hammer: Did they ever move him back to his old place since the refurb?

Nope, he's still facing a wall with a backdrop of a street or something. But he's moving now. When it was soft opened he was just a statue, but now he moves. It looks kinda creepy honestly.

Nope, he's still facing a wall with a backdrop of a street or something. But he's moving now. When it was soft opened he was just a statue, but now he moves. It looks kinda creepy honestly.

Ah! Ok. I guess that means I'm only half crazy then...

I guess I would take a creepy guy selling news to wallpaper than a random wax figure on the side of the road.

PhilharMagician

After the refurb the paperboy was originally motionless facing the wall. It was actually kind of creepy since the paperboy was still yelling out but not moving at all. The word was that he was broken (as you said) and will return in the near future. Well he is now waving and selling to the wall. There may be a good reason for this, but I never understood the change.

thecompman

We were there Jan 15-22, rode SSE multiple times. No burning Rome smell on any of them. We definitely noticed as this is one of our favorite things in SSE!

Uncle Lupe

The smell was faint at best for the last 2 weeks of October.
As already mentioned, the chariot was not running. Unfortunately the chariot has not been working for years! :fork:
The projection for the mammoth scene was very dim. Almost to the point where you could not see it at all.
On the decent the some of strings of lights that hang from the ceiling creating the infinate light strings were not lit. That really ruins the infinite light string affect. Oh, wait I am not supposed to see the ride affect, I am supposed to be playing with that rediculous touch screen planning my life. :hammer:

I really miss the time/light tunnel that use to be at the top of the ride. It offered a great transition prior to netering the planetarium, and the timing was at least right on when the car rotated to "Spaceship Earth". I really have not been able to grasp the new computer room.

We went the first part of October and your description was spot on. I thought the Mammoth scene was very dim, had not rode in twenty years, just assumed that is how it was suppose to look.

Why not give you the option to change the language during the ride? By the time I got into the vehicle and all my gear and kids off I was forced to listen in Portuguese, left a bitter taste after expecting something to be so sweet. Our entire party had the same problem. Yes we got on after a tour group.

TheDisneyMagic

We went the first part of October and your description was spot on. I thought the Mammoth scene was very dim, had not rode in twenty years, just assumed that is how it was suppose to look.

Why not give you the option to change the language during the ride? By the time I got into the vehicle and all my gear and kids off I was forced to listen in Portuguese, left a bitter taste after expecting something to be so sweet. Our entire party had the same problem. Yes we got on after a tour group.

Really, I thought the system defaults back to English after unload?

Brian_WDW74

The missing chariot projection might be explained by the fact that it's no longer Rome that is burning. The Judi Dench narration now says:

"Rome falls. And the great Library of Alexandria in Egypt is burned."

Now that the burning scene takes place in Egypt, not Rome, the chariot projection probably made less sense.

Kiff

The missing chariot projection might be explained by the fact that it's no longer Rome that is burning. The Judi Dench narration now says:

"Rome falls. And the great Library of Alexandria in Egypt is burned."

Now that the burning scene takes place in Egypt, not Rome, the chariot projection probably made less sense.

Seems like an easy effect to keep operational after the refurb. I always assumed that the projection was removed to improve the show. Maybe it would have taken away from the more intricate movements introduced in this scenes AA's after the refurb. :shrug:

Surackk

We were there Marathon Weekend and rode SSE multiple times. The burning smell was not there at all then. Even my 6 year old daughter made mention of it missing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom