Space Mtn Sentinel Article

Skyway

I know some have said WDI successfully tested on-board audio on the existing vehicles. So I was surprised to see the quote about needing a larger profile vehicle.

I cannot imagine how audio would effectively work on the existing trains. The seats are too far from your ears. (Even DL's audio sometimes get drowned out by external noises). I can't picture the current rockets with higher seatbacks.

If it is true larger vehicles are necessary, would they even fit in the existing tunnels, turns, and overhead clearances?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If it is true larger vehicles are necessary, would they even fit in the existing tunnels, turns, and overhead clearances?
Yep. Hybrids of the Matterhorn - with audio - car prototype.

Lee

Adventurer
Yep. Hybrids of the Matterhorn - with audio - car prototype.

Showing here.
This is the Matterhorn prototype car.
The black circles are mine. That is one potential speaker placement location.

Attachments

• 38.jpg
    38.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 392

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Thanks Lee. I knew you`d have it handy.

And yes, I still remember taking your photo at Epcots 25th during Mission:See-if-the-mural-is-still-there :D

Lee

Adventurer
And yes, I still remember taking your photo at Epcots 25th during Mission:See-if-the-mural-is-still-there :D
And congratulations on that. It's widely known as possibly the best photo taken of me in decades. :wave:
(I don't photograph particularly well.:shrug:)

Lee

Adventurer
I'm confused...why would lighting the outside of space mountain require them to close the ride for weeks?? Did I read that right?
No.
Putting in a seasonal overlay, like for Halloween, requires a closure of about two weeks on DL's Space Mountain. That overlay includes special exterior lighting effects that temporarily replace the normal lighting.
The statement in the article, for some reason, ties external lighting to special overlays. That's silly, because exterlior ighting is used on an everyday basis at DL. More obfuscation (my .50 cent word for today:cool:) by Disney to talk their way out of the lighting.

DisneyParksFan1

It's still possible for us to get some exterior lighting. Most likely not though. It would be great and honestly I don't think it's that back-braking to get some new lights on Space.

Tom Morrow

It doesn't make sense that they haven't changed the exterior lighting. I don't even think it needs a fancy package (though it would be nice)... couldn't they just place some colored gels over the existing floodlights?

Animaniac93-98

Considering Disney was willing to replace all the lights along the track of the TTA with new LED ones, I wouldn't be surprised if within a year's time we saw some replacement lights outside of SM as they don't have to shut down the ride to do so.

Of course I could be wrong in the end.

DisneyParksFan1

I heard that it's opening on November 22, as we know, but the workers will keep working on Space until December. I think it was on the article posted on this thread not sure. This could mean some lighting?

Skyway

I don't mean to start an endless debate about lights.

But to me, there is a simple, elegant beauty of that pure white mountain lit up at night.

If you've ever had the chance to see the Space Shuttle up close at night, with those giant spotlights making it's white body stand out from the darkness around it, you know what a majestic sight that is.

A stark white SM gives me a similar feeling.

Regardless of what you think of the inside, John Hench's architecture of that building is remarkable. It's a piece of art by itself.

The simplicity of white lights shining on it should not be seen as inferior.

Just as you would not want to splash wild, rapidly changing colors on SSE or or the Matterhorn, I like SM as it is (or
rather, how it WAS, before the white was dulled by filth, and the floodlights either burned out or were shut off)

TP2000

Just as you would not want to splash wild, rapidly changing colors on SSE or or the Matterhorn, I like SM as it is (or
rather, how it WAS, before the white was dulled by filth, and the floodlights either burned out or were shut off)

Sure, I agree that there's a wonderful elegance to the John Hench era paintings. But the last time I was in WDW the dome of Space Mountain looked a dingy brown in the daylight. And this is in a part of the country that has minimal smog? At Disneyland, Smog Country USA with Space Mountain a few hundred yards from 16 lanes of speeding Santa Ana Freeway, they wash the exterior routinely and keep it gleaming.

While I can appreciate a gleaming white dome in 1975 from a mid-20th century design perspective, the cutting edge digital projection technology of 2009 speaks for itself. Just watch the first 30 or 60 seconds of this Disneyland video of Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy and ask yourself why WDW management can't do the same in Florida? :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL3UH6EcsaI&feature=related

And that was just the exterior of Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy as seen from the Standby queue. You should have seen the inside and the ride itself!

EPCOTCenterLover

Having ridden WDW's in February and just riding DL's last month, I'd say they are two very different experiences. Both awesome and both very different. I prefer WDW's track layout- plus I exit and can see the Transit Authority!- but DL's special effects are amazing. Two different worlds, two very different experiences.

WDWSEARCHER

I totally agree with you all that our space mountain is absolutely beautiful in it's stark white against a clear FL night sky and this could be a major part of each night's presentation, but, I'd love to see an occassional, timed, lighted program. Like say, every 8 mins or so? It really adds to the excitment and anticipation of enjoying this classic attraction.

Uncle Lupe

Onboard audio solved. Install a MP3 player in each train with a larger battery capacity to last for 8 - 12 hrs. Have the guest bring their ear buds to plug into a jack by their seat . BAM! INSTANT REFURB! You can enjoy Space Mountain the classic way or with an onboard audio score if you wish.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom