Space MT. Audio

zap69

Original Poster
For Grad Nite this year, Space Mt. will have real music playing on the ride. New speakers are being installed this week inside the buidling. The question is sthis temp. or for good? More to Come

ToTBellHop

zap69 said:
For Grad Nite this year, Space Mt. will have real music playing on the ride. New speakers are being installed this week inside the buidling. The question is sthis temp. or for good? More to Come
temporary. The REAL Space Mountain refurbishment will take a very long time and involve bona fide on-ride audio. This is probably just a test to see how people will like music during the ride--and the answer is obvious. The music is what makes Space Mountain at Disneyland rock.

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
I wonder if the music will sync up with the ride. Take for instance they install speakers every 25 ft or so and the speaker plays one segment of the songs.

Epcot82Guy

I personally love SM without the music on ride, but I also can understand those that do. I think that's why the RockIt mountain concept works so well. Put on-board audio on the ride, when the sun goes down, turn on the effects and the music. You keep the classic, make the attraction darker so the effects work, and create theoretically two attractions in one: a fully rehabbed classic and a new version of a classic. Sounds pretty good to me.

ToTBellHop

Epcot82Guy said:
I personally love SM without the music on ride, but I also can understand those that do. I think that's why the RockIt mountain concept works so well. Put on-board audio on the ride, when the sun goes down, turn on the effects and the music. You keep the classic, make the attraction darker so the effects work, and create theoretically two attractions in one: a fully rehabbed classic and a new version of a classic. Sounds pretty good to me.
Have you been on any of the Space Mountains that have on-ride audio? It takes the ride from a kiddie coaster in the dark to a true E-Ticket. And the concept of RockIt Mountain is dead--because it doesn't work as a concept.

Epcot82Guy

ISTCNavigator57 said:
Have you been on any of the Space Mountains that have on-ride audio? It takes the ride from a kiddie coaster in the dark to a true E-Ticket. And the concept of RockIt Mountain is dead--because it doesn't work as a concept.

I guess I have to disagree slightly. (A) RockIt mountain is not dead. It just isn't doing what it is supposed to yet. (B) The reason RockIt mountain is dead is because of the logistics. There is a difference between having to switch programs and tracks and simply utilizing programs and tracks. Granted, the problem of a mid-day lull is always an issue. However, it can be done, and if it is literally turning programming on vs. cycling it through, it is a much faster transition. (C) There is something to be said for the lack of intense music with your ride. First, Space Mountain is a kiddie coaster. Pure and simple. Why fight it? It's a really great, fun ride, so who cares? If you start pumping hightech music and effects in, you lose an element of that. Second, there is an element of surprise that is destroyed by music. An element of Western music, including on an attraction, is melodic structure and rhythm. So, when you put that with a ride, you know what is coming unless you offset it (i.e. put the drop right after the big crecendo ends instead of at it). But, that makes riders feel off, period. I like, despite the dozens of times I've ridden it, not knowing just when that curve or dip is coming. That's what makes it fun. If you put a score to it, I can follow along and know just what is up next because of the music itself.

But, that is why having the transition attraction works so well. Personally, I think WDW's is the best candidate to do this if they keep the double track. At a set time, half the ride goes down for the 15-20 minute transition. Then you open that side, shift people to it, and open the other. If the show building is fully darkened and the effects are contained, you should never know the difference other than the ambience of music playing from empty cars not absorbing the sound.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What will music sound like in a concrete shell 300ft wide and 180ft tall? The accoustics in there are awful - possibly it`s just for bass heavy dance music around the queue area?

DisneyWales

Transition

I think people are over thinking this whole transition thing. Its just a simple case of changing the lighting cues. Lighting state one is normal Space Mountain, and state two is rocket mountain. With todays intelligent lighting fixtures these kind of changes happen is a split second.

An hidden props can be lit in seconds so whole new features and effects appear. Logistics are not the problem in fact thats the easy part, with some clever lighting design (and Disney have some of the best in the world) They could change Space Mountain in a matter of seconds.

L.E.D lighting fixtures can be turned on and off and add a dramatic effect to a ride. Space Mountain in Paris now use LED's as part of the launch sequence they all flash during the countdown. Untill there lit you would never know they are there.

Projections; until you project something it cant be seen so again this is something thats as easy as pushing play and starting the projection.

What im trying to say is the transition between Space Mountain and Rockit Mountain is very easy. Its just dealing with the uneducated guest and confusing them about what they are actually riding.

WDWfan2209

DisneyWales said:
I think people are over thinking this whole transition thing. Its just a simple case of changing the lighting cues. Lighting state one is normal Space Mountain, and state two is rocket mountain. With todays intelligent lighting fixtures these kind of changes happen is a split second.

An hidden props can be lit in seconds so whole new features and effects appear. Logistics are not the problem in fact thats the easy part, with some clever lighting design (and Disney have some of the best in the world) They could change Space Mountain in a matter of seconds.

L.E.D lighting fixtures can be turned on and off and add a dramatic effect to a ride. Space Mountain in Paris now use LED's as part of the launch sequence they all flash during the countdown. Untill there lit you would never know they are there.

Projections; until you project something it cant be seen so again this is something thats as easy as pushing play and starting the projection.

What im trying to say is the transition between Space Mountain and Rockit Mountain is very easy. Its just dealing with the uneducated guest and confusing them about what they are actually riding.

Its not as simple as you think it is, its really a matter of switching over the soundtrack on the cars. To do this they have to shut down the system and restart it on RockIt Mountain version. WDW's version of Space Mountain would be perfect to try this on with the double track. I'm sure we'll be seeing it sometime soon in some form at WDW.

Lee

Adventurer
A. The thing for Grad Night is temporary...and will probably sound horrible.
B. The music will not sync to the ride. No real way to do that with speakers.
C. Rockit Mountain (DL) is not dead...just delayed for a while. Al got that wrong.
D. Yes. Magic Kingdom's Space Mountiain is still craptacular.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I thought the main issue at Rockit was the effects themselves were underwhelming when tested in situ - and with SM being the flagship it is it`d be a step backwards to use them after the (new) daytime version was received so well.

Plus there is the issue of manually switching each cars audio. This would take up the time, but surely WDI can come up with a remote trigger for it - either by transponder or infrared triggers, or even good old coded RF.

Lee

Adventurer
marni1971 said:
I thought the main issue at Rockit was the effects themselves were underwhelming when tested in situ - and with SM being the flagship it is it`d be a step backwards to use them after the (new) daytime version was received so well.

Plus there is the issue of manually switching each cars audio. This would take up the time, but surely WDI can come up with a remote trigger for it - either by transponder or infrared triggers, or even good old coded RF.

Nah...I hear the effects are quite impressive.
The reason RM was pushed back was to save it for a big marketing push for next year. Pirates is dominating DL's marketing this summer, so it doesn't make sense to waste RM's hoopla when it would be a bigger deal next year.

The changeover from regular to rock audio would take about 30 min. Not a huge deal, but a challenge for operations to deal with. In fact, I'm told that instead of it being a night time only thing, causing the ride to effectively close for a half hour, Rockit Mountain may well run during regular daytime hours.

ToTBellHop

Given Space Mountain's lines at Disneyland, I think closing the ride for 30 minutes every day (not to mention having Fastpass windows run up to a certain time, stop, and start up again later) would really irritate guests--especially Disneyland guests who have never been fond of major changes to classic attractions. Plus, with Space Mountain's current popularity, there really isn't a need for RockIt Mountain at this point. Perhaps it will come around after the 50th, but I'm skeptical of even that--there seem to be too many problems without acceptable solutions--for example, if the queue is two hours long (which is not at all uncommon) and you are going to switch to RockIt Mountain from 6 to 6:30 pm, you have two options--close the standby line at 4 pm for two hours or tell people they need to stand in the hot, California sun for 30 minutes while the line doesn't move at all. I can already see the line of complainers outside City Hall every afternoon.

Lee

Adventurer
See my post above.
As it stands now, RM will operate "during regular park hours", meaning from park open to close, beginning sometime in 2007.

Also, I just heard that Marcie from Mouseinfo says that ANOTHER DL coaster will be getting a music and effects overlay next year. Interesting...I hadn't heard that before.

ToTBellHop

Lee said:
See my post above.
As it stands now, RM will operate "during regular park hours", meaning from park open to close, beginning sometime in 2007.

Also, I just heard that Marcie from Mouseinfo says that ANOTHER DL coaster will be getting a music and effects overlay next year. Interesting...I hadn't heard that before.
would they do this on select days or are they effectively getting rid of Space Mountain?

Lee

Adventurer
ISTCNavigator57 said:
would they do this on select days or are they effectively getting rid of Space Mountain?
Only on select days.
They are NOT getting rid of Space Mountain in any way.

lightboy

Yes yes....big bass accoustics in a concrete box...didn't sound that great.

It's really loud when you start off, but by the time you get to the bottom, you can barely hear it...the speakers are positioned near the top of the ride.

No it is not synched to the ride....it is just essentially big speakers in the mountain playing a mixed track. It was mostly just heavy metal or hardcore techno playing.

Wasn't impressed, but hey, the kids probably were...

brertigger

Yes yes....big bass accoustics in a concrete box...didn't sound that great.

It's really loud when you start off, but by the time you get to the bottom, you can barely hear it...the speakers are positioned near the top of the ride.

No it is not synched to the ride....it is just essentially big speakers in the mountain playing a mixed track. It was mostly just heavy metal or hardcore techno playing.

Wasn't impressed, but hey, the kids probably were...
Sorry to start up a thread that is a few months old. This is not really an outdated thread, since they are talking about doing Rockit Mountain at DL next year.

I was one of the grads who went to the event. All of us in my group (which is only 4, but anyway...) enjoyed the audio addition to Space Mountain. Lightboy, you are right. The music was not very evenly distributed. They did hide the speakers very well (the ride stopped while we were on it, and they cycled the ride with the lights on once). I think it would be interesting if Disney did put in more speakers around the ride. It would be interesting to see how most guests would react to Space Mountain themed music (like DL) blasting through the building at night.

splashmountain8

I like the music they play in the Space Mountain line. But during the ride, I'd prefer to not have music play, you know, just to keep the feeling that you are really in space. Not that it really matters the ride will still be really cool either way. And who knows, maybe adding music may make the ride a little cooler.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom