Space MT. Audio

RenegadeMilkmen

All the people saying the DL version of Space Mountain is cool BECAUSE OF the audio are crazy. I've seen videos of it, and the audio they play during the ride is incredibely cheesy and does not fit the ride at all. imo, it would ruin Space Mountain forever to me, because I love the eerie sounds they play in the ride queue and then just going on the ride and feeling like its in space.

imagineer boy

Are you sure you're not confusing it with the surf music they used to play? That sounded VERY out of place. They have since then replaced it with a cooler space sounding track.

disneylandkid

Account Suspended
there is an element of surprise that is destroyed by music. An element of Western music, including on an attraction, is melodic structure and rhythm. So, when you put that with a ride, you know what is coming unless you offset it (i.e. put the drop right after the big crecendo ends instead of at it). But, that makes riders feel off, period. I like, despite the dozens of times I've ridden it, not knowing just when that curve or dip is coming. That's what makes it fun. If you put a score to it, I can follow along and know just what is up next because of the music itself.

You haven't been on DLR's space mountain have you? The music is is synchronized. The way you are implying it is that the music comes first in reality they hit at the same time, so the surprise is definately there.

CThaddeus

All the people saying the DL version of Space Mountain is cool BECAUSE OF the audio are crazy. I've seen videos of it, and the audio they play during the ride is incredibely cheesy and does not fit the ride at all. imo, it would ruin Space Mountain forever to me, because I love the eerie sounds they play in the ride queue and then just going on the ride and feeling like its in space.

I have to say I completely disagree. This attraction cannot be done justice by watching a video. If you're watching it in Nightshot and listening to the audio, the entire effect is ruined because you can see where you're going, as well as all the ugly scaffolding and track around you. If you're watching it without the Nightshot, then my guess is you're seeing a whole lot of nothing. In either case, it's just not the same as being there and actually doing it - with the music and stars surrounding you. While I preferred the original music track (the space surfing theme was very cool), the new audio has an Incredibles feel to it that surprisingly still works. I'm always impressed at how well the music synches up to the drops, rises, and turns. I actually don't care for the ride as much when the audio malfunctions and we have to go in "silence." It just feels like such a part of Space Mountain now I don't want it any other way. Please note that this is coming from one of those So-Cal people mentioned earlier who doesn't like having the Parks seriously tampered with. When they originally did it, it was a big deal to many. Time, however, has proved that the music makes the attraction so much better. I'm not a fan of the Rockit Mountain idea, though. Heavy metal blaring for three minutes just ain't my thing. I have a similar feeling about Rock n' Rollercoaster...great coaster, terrible audio (and preshow).

P.S. To the person who thought the audio ruins it because it gives away how the car is going to turn next, I disagree as well. While it might tip you off a bit, I would argue that anyone who has been on Space Mountain more than three times can already anticipate the next turn, dip, or climb. I, for one, never need to see the track to know where I'm headed. The music just emphasizes the drama...if you're really into the moment.

Epcot82Guy

You haven't been on DLR's space mountain have you? The music is is synchronized. The way you are implying it is that the music comes first in reality they hit at the same time, so the surprise is definately there.

wow. revival of the argument, but let me explain. I do not mean the first time you ride. I mean every subsequent time. If you know how the tune goes, YOU can anticipate the next move. RnRC is the perfect example. I can follow the music an anticipate when the moves are coming. It is much more difficult to do so on a no-music attraction because you don't have a melody to latch onto. It's all physical counting if anything. It adds more thrill because you don;t know precisely when that next curve hits until you have ridden it literally dozens of times. Music can be used to create the feeling of speed and energy, but I really feel SM's darkness and stars are just fine in that dept. I was on it two weeks ago and would really hate to see a synchronized audio added in (now, I wouldn't mind a refurb and upgrade to the effects, though - just don't change the layout or audio).

And I have been on Space Mountain literally dozens of times, and I still don't anticipate 1/2 the ride. RnRC I have been on probably as much, and I can anticipate pretty much everything.

Final point, WHY DOES EACH PARK HAVE TO BE THE SAME???? If there are some that like audioless, really dark, eerie rides, why not make that work at WDW. Then upgrade DL's (as they have) and make it the audio-intense attraction. Then we have DLP's which is entirely different. If everything is the same, it hits the desire to go to the other locations. It makes no marketing sense to fully clone everything if you have something that is functioning successfully (which SM currently is IMHO).

Buford

I have to say I completely disagree. This attraction cannot be done justice by watching a video. If you're watching it in Nightshot and listening to the audio, the entire effect is ruined because you can see where you're going, as well as all the ugly scaffolding and track around you. If you're watching it without the Nightshot, then my guess is you're seeing a whole lot of nothing. In either case, it's just not the same as being there and actually doing it - with the music and stars surrounding you. While I preferred the original music track (the space surfing theme was very cool), the new audio has an Incredibles feel to it that surprisingly still works. I'm always impressed at how well the music synches up to the drops, rises, and turns. I actually don't care for the ride as much when the audio malfunctions and we have to go in "silence." It just feels like such a part of Space Mountain now I don't want it any other way. Please note that this is coming from one of those So-Cal people mentioned earlier who doesn't like having the Parks seriously tampered with. When they originally did it, it was a big deal to many. Time, however, has proved that the music makes the attraction so much better. I'm not a fan of the Rockit Mountain idea, though. Heavy metal blaring for three minutes just ain't my thing. I have a similar feeling about Rock n' Rollercoaster...great coaster, terrible audio (and preshow).

P.S. To the person who thought the audio ruins it because it gives away how the car is going to turn next, I disagree as well. While it might tip you off a bit, I would argue that anyone who has been on Space Mountain more than three times can already anticipate the next turn, dip, or climb. I, for one, never need to see the track to know where I'm headed. The music just emphasizes the drama...if you're really into the moment.
yes!

The SFX are simply amazing! Not just about the audio, but a combination of ALL the elements. I am so impressed with the lead-up to it all. what a great, smooth, wonderful refurbishment. And those stars..... wow.

This is something you have to see to fully understand..... no video.... no audio.... and if anything, the fact that it's smooth (and also, it doesn't feel like your head's going to get chopped off :lookaroun ) makes it superior

RenegadeMilkmen

Hmm... Well I'm not a close minded person, so I'll be fair and say that yeah maybe I would have to actually RIDE it to have a full opinion of the audio.

Slowjack

I have to take some exception to calling Space Mountain a "kiddie" coaster. Goofy's Barnstormer is a kiddie coaster. There's a wide gulf between that and Space Mountain! Obviously there's also a wide gulf between Space Mountain, and, say, Goliath at Six Flags Over Georgia. But Space Mountain, in my opinion, is still a thrilling coaster--it's just thrilling at the level that most people would enjoy, as opposed to providing the requisite thrills that teenagers and hardcore coaster fans enjoy, and those groups are not the target audience for WDW anyway.

Switching back on-topic, I'm not sure how I would feel about audio. I think the near-silence (since the trains only sit six people, so even if they scream it's not much sound) is part of ride's effect. If they added music plus they added scenes to "fly" past or through, I think that would be cool. But just adding a soundtrack to the darkness doesn't sound like a great idea to me.

Ah, here's an idea: bring back the "choose your trip" idea from the end of Horizons...at the start of the ride, you get to pick your car's soundtrack: orchestra, hard rock, surf guitar...

mkepcotmgmak

For Grad Nite this year, Space Mt. will have real music playing on the ride. New speakers are being installed this week inside the buidling. The question is sthis temp. or for good? More to Come

when you say "real" music...do you mean Space Mountain Themed music disney-style (as opposed to fake music?) OR - do you mean pop hits, for grad nite?

Grim Grinner

I've been going to WDW since I was knee-high to a grasshopper. Space Mountain has always been a favorite of mine.

This last June, I went to Disneyland for the first time- and had mixed impressions about the park. However, I must say that in all respects except for one personal biggie- the DL version is superior.

The new optical effects are outstanding, and the wealth of star the twist and twirl give a sense of vertigo. I love it. It ended up being the last ride of the night (I only spent 1 day in both parks) and as luck would have it- I got the front car. Seriously, I felt like I was flying. There was a degree of perfection to the ride that was surreal. The audio added a lot, although initially I thought the idea to be pretty stupid. Now, I can think of that music to conjure some wonderful memories.

As for the big thing that annoyed me: the loading area is enclosed. No giant asteroid projections to gawk at. That giant cookie asteroid thrilled and scared me as a kid, and was the most memorable things about Space Mountain from my youth. Disneyland's enclosed loading dock didn't thrill me one bit and actually hurt what would have been a flawless experience. Also, have you noticed that wonderful smell in each Space Mountain. Like that water smell at Norway, Pirates and Mexico- it lets me know I'm at Disney. Call me strange...

willythelab

DL Mountain Vs. MK Mountain

So sorry for the purists out there, but the update at Disneyland is incredible. It feels fast, smooth, scary and fun. I hope that MK does it soon as well. Right after Harry Potter!:dazzle:

disneylandkid

Account Suspended
wow. revival of the argument, but let me explain. I do not mean the first time you ride. I mean every subsequent time. If you know how the tune goes, YOU can anticipate the next move. RnRC is the perfect example. I can follow the music an anticipate when the moves are coming. It is much more difficult to do so on a no-music attraction because you don't have a melody to latch onto. It's all physical counting if anything. It adds more thrill because you don;t know precisely when that next curve hits until you have ridden it literally dozens of times. Music can be used to create the feeling of speed and energy, but I really feel SM's darkness and stars are just fine in that dept. I was on it two weeks ago and would really hate to see a synchronized audio added in (now, I wouldn't mind a refurb and upgrade to the effects, though - just don't change the layout or audio).

And I have been on Space Mountain literally dozens of times, and I still don't anticipate 1/2 the ride. RnRC I have been on probably as much, and I can anticipate pretty much everything.

Final point, WHY DOES EACH PARK HAVE TO BE THE SAME???? If there are some that like audioless, really dark, eerie rides, why not make that work at WDW. Then upgrade DL's (as they have) and make it the audio-intense attraction. Then we have DLP's which is entirely different. If everything is the same, it hits the desire to go to the other locations. It makes no marketing sense to fully clone everything if you have something that is functioning successfully (which SM currently is IMHO).

well i went on RnRC and the reason it is easy to tell is because you can see the track. And space mountain at disneyland blows mk's sm out of the water in nearly all regards exept post show.

disneylandkid

Account Suspended
As for the big thing that annoyed me: the loading area is enclosed. No giant asteroid projections to gawk at. That giant cookie asteroid thrilled and scared me as a kid, and was the most memorable things about Space Mountain from my youth. Disneyland's enclosed loading dock didn't thrill me one bit and actually hurt what would have been a flawless experience.

Well we can't exactly have identical space mountains now can we? It is enclosed because they wanted it to be very dark once you got in the actual ride portion. And it is space mountain and they both had different amounts of space to work with!

Epcot82Guy

well i went on RnRC and the reason it is easy to tell is because you can see the track. And space mountain at disneyland blows mk's sm out of the water in nearly all regards exept post show.

I am not trying to say WDW's is better in any way. All I'm saying is that both having audio and not could work, so why not have two versions? Now, if we are talking about darkening up the ride, new star/comet/tunnel effects, and a redone track system (i.e. same layout, new track), I agree entirely that the DL model would be great. I do think that the money for the project would be better suited elsewhere on property at the moment, but that doesn't mean an upgrade would be bad. The audio is the only element I was discussing, and merely saying there are people that prefer both ways, so why not have both available? Also, you have to admit, it has only been since the upgrade that DL would be able to even attempt to claim their SM is better.

TP2000

Hmm... Well I'm not a close minded person, so I'll be fair and say that yeah maybe I would have to actually RIDE it to have a full opinion of the audio.

Good for you! Space Mountain at Disneyland is wonderful. Please hold judgement for it until you get to actually experience it in person.

Life should not be experienced via YouTube. Life should be experienced for real.

When they first put the audio on Space Mountain at Disneyland in 1996, I remember riding the WDW Space Mountain a year or two later and thinking "Oh, no, this is a really cheesy 1970's ride in comparison". And now with the newly updated audio and effects on Disneyland's Space Mountain, that assesment is even more valid.

This reminds me exactly of the whole Haunted Mansion Holiday and Small World Holiday arguments. A bunch of people 3,000 miles from Disneyland who have never experienced either attraction making all sorts of judgements and declaring that the addition of Haunted Mansion Holiday to WDW would be disastrous and unnecessary. But every time an East Coaster visits Disneyland during Christmastime and rides both of those attractions the tune changes to "WOW! How come they don't do this in Florida?!?" :hammer:

nelsonj3

So sorry for the purists out there, but the update at Disneyland is incredible. It feels fast, smooth, scary and fun. I hope that MK does it soon as well. Right after Harry Potter!:dazzle:

I completely agree!! The Disneyland Space Mountain is AWESOME!!!! I couldn't stop raving about it after I rode it last month. The music matches the ride perfectly and intensifies the experience. Also, the new track is smooth as silk!

I would love to see an SM update at WDW with different music and maybe even a slightly different layout. I don't think a "copy" of the DL version is necessary, but they could use the same idea with different music and different effects.

S.E.A.

I'm really surprised that some people actually oppose such a huge "plus" to Space Mountain. In my opinion the Music enhances the experience, the effect of each dip, twist and turn becomes amplified with the help of the music.

anyway, Disneyland Paris' original Space Mountain still is the best of them all.

MainSt1993

As for the big thing that annoyed me: the loading area is enclosed. No giant asteroid projections to gawk at. That giant cookie asteroid thrilled and scared me as a kid, and was the most memorable things about Space Mountain from my youth. Disneyland's enclosed loading dock didn't thrill me one bit and actually hurt what would have been a flawless experience. Also, have you noticed that wonderful smell in each Space Mountain. Like that water smell at Norway, Pirates and Mexico- it lets me know I'm at Disney. Call me strange...

Actually, you used to be able to see inside Space Mountain at DLR from the queue, as well as from the PeopleMover. The queue was reconfigured during the big rehab, in part to darken the ride. IMHO it's a big improvement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom