Space Mt. and Juncle Cruise rehabs

CrashNet

I'm fairly certain the track design was custom and had nothing to do with the Wild Mouse tracks. Way before their time. Could be wrong, but if I remember correctly, it was revolutionary design at the time with the tubular track. I'm sure Marni or Lee could shed some light on the subject.

I agree... if that budget number is accurate, there's a lot that can be done. Looking forward to hearing more details!
You're right, I'm very wrong on this. Wild Mouse coasters are known for their "about to fall off a cliff" design, and Space Mountain doesn't have anything remotely like that.

Epcot82Guy

I`d hate them to cover the queue area - the view from down there to me is part of the thrill (especially if you`ve been queuing for a while - you feel you`ve finally arrived). Maybe make it darker, or installing new lighting might help. Is it my imagination or did it infact used to be darker in the queue?

I agree, but I think there would be a way to accomplish both. I would like to see it enclosed with large "skylights" looking up onto the track. If you tint them properly, you could keep the light escaping to a minimum while still allowing a view out.

Pete C

Some of you are acting like 30 million is peanuts. Do you realize that Millennium Force, the entire project, cost 25M? That ride is several times the length of SM, and has to handle forces 3 times as strong put on the track. If we don't get entirely new track and trains, at the very least, WDW is doing something wrong. Disneyland overhauled the entire ride for 15M with new track, trains, and effects. Why would WDW accomplish less with twice as much money? I'd like to understand why you think that. If we don't get new track, I can't wait to see how they can blow 30M on queue and effects.

As for enclosing the queue, I'd prefer it. While seeing the coaster fly around is cool, I prefer the unknown. It builds more tension. When you can see the coaster meandering around the track you can see how slow it is going. Also, it lets too much light up there. I think job number 1 is to get this ride pitch black so all you see is stars.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
What about the people in stand-by ?

They need something to amuse and entertain them while the fastpassers (is that a word?) are riding!

Pete C

What about the people in stand-by ?

They need something to amuse and entertain them while the fastpassers (is that a word?) are riding!

Most other Disney rides hide the ride while you are in the queue and people don't get bored. They could always put in videos or whatever they do at Disneyland. My personal idea is to have giant screens above the queue that are themed to look like windows to outer space, so you feel like you are on a space station.

raven

Some of you are acting like 30 million is peanuts. Do you realize that Millennium Force, the entire project, cost 25M? That ride is several times the length of SM, and has to handle forces 3 times as strong put on the track. If we don't get entirely new track and trains, at the very least, WDW is doing something wrong. Disneyland overhauled the entire ride for 15M with new track, trains, and effects. Why would WDW accomplish less with twice as much money? I'd like to understand why you think that. If we don't get new track, I can't wait to see how they can blow 30M on queue and effects.

Millennium Force is simply an outside coaster. And a very LARGE one at that. When it was built it was the first of it's kind.

SM is a coaster as well. But it is also a large indoor queue area and post show. DL doesn't have the queue like WDW does and they don't have a post show either. DL is simply a theamed hallway.

You also forget that DL had only 1 track to redo. WDW will have 2. If the upgrade is simple the track and audio added then I don't see too much of anything else being changed for $30 Million. It isn't peanuts but when you figure in labor it really adds up.

WiCKMaN

When going through this thread again, some question came up to me when reading the following post:
Currently, the JC queue features "Awol Airwaves," a 30's era radio broadcast with music and (appropriately enough) corny jokes.
Has this been a real existing radio broadcast in the 30's? Or was it created especially for the Jungle Cruise?

If so, was the music also created for the Jungle Cruise? Or are they actually existing tracks from the 30's?

T-1MILLION

When going through this thread again, some question came up to me when reading the following post:

Has this been a real existing radio broadcast in the 30's? Or was it created especially for the Jungle Cruise?

If so, was the music also created for the Jungle Cruise? Or are they actually existing tracks from the 30's?

The music is really from the era. The corny jokes by the announcer were created for the WDW version of Jungle Cruise.:wave:

Personally,I am really hoping for Timon and Pumba to stay out. I love the A.W.O.L radio gags. It really sets the tone and time period for the ride.

Absimilliard

Mummy and BTM are no where close the kings of capacity

The coasters (one track or 2, doesn't matter!) with the most capacity are the evil pair in Germany. They travel around fairs and one is a large, compact 5 loops coaster with 2 lifts. They run 5 28 passengers trains and pull 3000 people per hour! Eurostar is an inverted coaster like Dueling Dragon that has 4 28 passengers trains that can get 2800 people per hour through... How they do that is by having extremely short intervals between trains and so many operators that they can check trains in 5-10 seconds! Olympia Looping, the first one has a ride operator per 2 seats that lowers the harnesses and check the bars.

Personnally, just redoing the track and adding some new effects would be perfect.

MagliteL13

The coasters (one track or 2, doesn't matter!) with the most capacity are the evil pair in Germany. They travel around fairs and one is a large, compact 5 loops coaster with 2 lifts. They run 5 28 passengers trains and pull 3000 people per hour! Eurostar is an inverted coaster like Dueling Dragon that has 4 28 passengers trains that can get 2800 people per hour through... How they do that is by having extremely short intervals between trains and so many operators that they can check trains in 5-10 seconds! Olympia Looping, the first one has a ride operator per 2 seats that lowers the harnesses and check the bars.

Personnally, just redoing the track and adding some new effects would be perfect.

Eurostar has an OHRC of 2880, but has never reached that. The 2880 is the theoretical capacity. RotM broke the record last summer for "Most guests processed in an hour by a single track roller coaster", and like I said, there's still room for improvement on that record (by 328 more-- 324 with another RV and filling 4 empty seats).

Checking trains in 5-10s versus loading and dispatching a train in 5-10s is quite different. Loading and dispatching a 28 seat train in under 10s is virtually impossible due to guest behavior.

Unless I'm completely missing something, it doesn't even seem efficient to run 4 trains on a 46s coaster even though it does have 5 zones, because of the backup created on the blocks. Olimpia Looping, I noticed, has similar stats.

Feel free to point out anything I could be wrong about as I'm kinda curious about how Eurostar operates now.

Jeremy
RotM Attendant

Absimilliard

Interesting

Interesting. What was that record on Mummy? I was working at DLP in 2001 when we were pulling 2375-2390 guests an hour on Space Mountain, with 5 trains running on a tight 36 seconds launch interval. But... same summer, Big Thunder Mountain beated us with 2500 guests... They had an average of 36 guests per train, thus exceeding the 30 guests per train the other BTM do. They did that by putting 3 people in some rows. Unfortunately, those numbers happened before they added air gates to the stations and Space Mountain got its capacity killed when they decided to redo the launch, thus removing the ability to run 5 trains.

Regarding Olympia Looping, that thing was just designed to be a people eater... When its at the Munich Oktoberfest and they have 400000-500000 people A DAY visiting, you need a capacity monster! Plus, they only sell per ride tickets... so it pays off to have great capacity. Capacity on it has reached 3300 riders per hour! To have that capacity is possible, as they need to reach a dispatch interval of 30 seconds... Also, seeing how they group people together on the german fairground coasters: party of 2? Good! (proceed to grab you, sit you and you're off before you even realise what's happening!).

Lewis Carroll

Account Suspended
SM is a coaster as well. But it is also a large indoor queue area and post show. DL doesn't have the queue like WDW does and they don't have a post show either. DL is simply a theamed hallway.

Uh actually its the opposite. DL's Space Mountain Queue is large beginning outdoors on the second floor and then proceding through corridors as you work your way to a large Space Hangar bay. WDW's queue is just a themed hallway.

jedimaster1227

My modest prediction for Space Mountain: a new smoother track, side by side seating on the ride vehicles, and soundtrack with premium speakers. no loops.

Is anyone making any predictions for Jungle Cruise? Truly, what COULD they do to make that boat ride through the jungle more appealing?

- new uncovered boats

- elephants that really splash the guests (only a little)

- live, interactive natives

- Johnny Depp

:p

For Space Mountain, the work will really just be based on a new track (possibly a new track layout), new effects, a new soundtrack, (side by side seating to go with the possible new layout) and the ability to change the ride over to Rockin' Space Mountain (much like Disneyland).

Lewis Carroll

Account Suspended
For Space Mountain, the work will really just be based on a new track (possibly a new track layout), new effects, a new soundtrack, (side by side seating to go with the possible new layout) and the ability to change the ride over to Rockin' Space Mountain (much like Disneyland).

I read a rumor that they werent gonna do Rockin' Space Mountain in Magic Kingdom because it would be redundant with Rock N Roller Coaster at MGM.

Lee

Adventurer
I read a rumor that they werent gonna do Rockin' Space Mountain in Magic Kingdom because it would be redundant with Rock N Roller Coaster at MGM.
I don't think that's a huge factor.
Since they are giving Cali Screamin' a "Rockin" package along with DL's Space, having one at MK and RnRC wouldn't be too surprising.

Don't know if they are gonna do it or not...wouldn't be hard.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom