Space Mt. and Juncle Cruise rehabs

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
I was just reading the wdw update on mouse planet today and they said that there is a rumor that in 2008 the Jungle Crusie will gat a $13 million renovation and Space mountain will get a $30+ million renovation.:sohappy: I hope this will be true beacuse I'd really like to see our rides get all updates that the Disneyland rides did. Now if we can just get them to rehab the Haunted Mansion as well.....:D

Shaman

I haven't seen the exact number...but I seem to recall the price I heard tossed around being $15-20 mil. I like the sound of $30 million!:D

Really?! I thought coasters were a bit more expensive....so I guess loops and launch could still happen...

So does this mean that they're doing away with the track and replacing it?

I know this is a rumor...but it's fun to discuss...

:sohappy:

Lee

Adventurer
There were several proposals, of varying degrees of size, made about Space Mountain.
$30 million, if that figure is correct, is not the smallest.:D

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
There were several proposals, of varying degrees of size, made about Space Mountain.
$30 million, if that figure is correct, is not the smallest.:D
wow!

if that is the case then i believe there will defiantely be a gut job. well, i guess i need to ride a bunch in a few weeks just incase

Shaman

I guess I should shut up and be happy the figure isn't lower then...:lol:
Maybe they need all that money to add Stitch. :eek:

What kind of changes could we see on the Jungle Cruise?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I haven't seen the exact number...but I seem to recall the price I heard tossed around being $15-20 mil. I like the sound of $30 million!:D
That is about what I thought as well. If the 30+ million number is correct we might just get the total gutting we have been wanting for oh so long.

Epcot82Guy

Just thinking outloud... Would 30+ basically be a DL equivalent rehab? The reason I say that is that the effects would have to be doubled, the track would nearly be doubled, and there would be additional changes that were WDW-specific. If DL was 15-20, that would put it near $35 (since some things would be a single cost).

I would love a darker track, some new effects, and a newly enclosed queue (with skylights). But, I still stand firm by a no-soundtrack decision! :cool: It will be interesting to see what comes down the pipeline.

Also, that's great to hear about JC, too! I think this whole idea of adding little touches here and there throughout attractions is GREAT. Now... if we can get a floating Leota table and something else (like the bride, but would love to see something unique) to HM...

Mark_E

Just thinking outloud... Would 30+ basically be a DL equivalent rehab? The reason I say that is that the effects would have to be doubled, the track would nearly be doubled, and there would be additional changes that were WDW-specific. If DL was 15-20, that would put it near $35 (since some things would be a single cost).

But they may decide just to rebuild it with 1 track and make the cars bigger like the one at disneyland paris. It would allow for one massive coaster.

Shaman

Also, that's great to hear about JC, too! I think this whole idea of adding little touches here and there throughout attractions is GREAT. Now... if we can get a floating Leota table and something else (like the bride, but would love to see something unique) to HM...

New boats would be nice...with a different seat configuration. :lookaroun

PhilharMagician

But they may decide just to rebuild it with 1 track and make the cars bigger like the one at disneyland paris. It would allow for one massive coaster.
IMHO I hope not! Remember that WDW's SM is the largest SM buildings out of all of them. I personally think it would be a crime to make just one track and waste all of the space. Also with 2 track layout if there if a breakdown on one of them the other can run.

I know Lee is holding out on us. He has been talking about a total rip out for years and it is sounding closer than ever. Come on Lee cough it up.:lol:

I personally hope it ramains 2 separate tracks with single wide cars. The addition of sound and a better launch system or should I say a quiet launch system. The ride needs to be darker, but more special effects would be welcome like the asteriods tumbling around or a space station.

Shaman

IMHO I hope not! Remember that WDW's SM is the largest SM buildings out of all of them. I personally think it would be a crime to make just one track and waste all of the space. Also with 2 track layout if there if a breakdown on one of them the other can run.

I know Lee is holding out on us. He has been talking about a total rip out for years and it is sounding closer than ever. Come on Lee cough it up.:lol:

I personally hope it ramains 2 separate tracks with single wide cars. The addition of sound and a better launch system or should I say a quiet launch system. The ride needs to be darker, but more special effects would be welcome like the asteriods tumbling around or a space station.

How 'bout a dueling coaster? Two track layout...launched at different ends...add in some loops...make it darker (no soundtrack)...enclose queue...new look for the exterior (a cross between what is there now and DLP's)...and bam...you got one awesome Space Mountain.

:lookaroun

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

I would love a darker track, some new effects, and a newly enclosed queue (with skylights). But, I still stand firm by a no-soundtrack decision! :cool: It will be interesting to see what comes down the pipeline.

One thing that they would save on vs. DL is the price of labor. Even union price on labor is much less in FL vs. CA. Labor can easily be 30% of the budget.

So if the refurb at DL came in at $15 million and the budget for WDW is in fact $30 million it is very conceivable that we might see the Space Mountain at WDW be better than the one at DL.

wannab@dis

One thing that they would save on vs. DL is the price of labor. Even union price on labor is much less in FL vs. CA. Labor can easily be 30% of the budget.

So if the refurb at DL came in at $15 million and the budget for WDW is in fact $30 million it is very conceivable that we might see the Space Mountain at WDW be better than the one at DL.
Exactly... If the $30M tag is correct, then that's a big sum for a rehab. If I remember right, EE was about $100M and that included a massive construction project that took a large percentage of the budget. For SpMtn, the structure is already there and they are going to be working primarily on the track, vehicles and probably the control systems.

Sounds to me like this will be an extensive rehab if the figure holds true.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom