Space Mountain

Disney-Nautifan

Original Poster
Hello there,

I have recently been thinking, and I was wondering if anyone of you guys can help answer this question on space mountain please?

The original rocket cars I think had red noses and were white. But today, the cars are grey and have no red nose. Can you guys help verify this please?

Also, when did the red noses dissappear from the rocket cars (what year if possible)?

Any information will be greatly welcomed. thanks

see u soon! :wave:

Lee

Adventurer
The original rocket cars I think had red noses and were white. But today, the cars are grey and have no red nose. Can you guys help verify this please?
Correct about the noses, but I don't think the rockets were really white. I seem to recall them always being that gray/blueish color.

Bigart

No idea about the color change...and am also not sure when the 2 seat tandem design was changed to the 3 seat style. The tandem format held 2 riders per seat, one between the others legs, 2 seats to a car and had actual car seatbelts...everyone remembers the good old days. The side handles were better in my opinion...

the-reason14

From what it sounds like, Space mt. used to have seats like the matterhorn. I dont recall it being like that, but my dad says that was around the time it first opened. The first time I rode it, it was like 1998 or something, and I remember the cars with red noses and lap bars were different from what they are or were when it was last open. The lapbars before this refurb were shaped like a T, and the ones I remember from my first trip were more like the letter n if that makes sense. And I remember them slowly changing them out to what its been like for the past few years. I remember not likeing the T shape bars and wanting the n shape bars.

Lee

Adventurer
From what it sounds like, Space mt. used to have seats like the matterhorn. I dont recall it being like that, but my dad says that was around the time it first opened.
These ones here? (Actually...there is quite a bit of white on there....)

Attachments

• oldsmrocket.JPG
    oldsmrocket.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 38

scpergj

From what it sounds like, Space mt. used to have seats like the matterhorn. I dont recall it being like that, but my dad says that was around the time it first opened. The first time I rode it, it was like 1998 or something, and I remember the cars with red noses and lap bars were different from what they are or were when it was last open. The lapbars before this refurb were shaped like a T, and the ones I remember from my first trip were more like the letter n if that makes sense. And I remember them slowly changing them out to what its been like for the past few years. I remember not likeing the T shape bars and wanting the n shape bars.

Your dad is right...

I know that they were tandem seating well into the '80's, but had a pretty long period in the '90's where I only went twice (EPCOT Center many times, but MK only twice). Wife confirms that our first trip together (94), it was still tandem seating, so I guess it was some time after that thte seating was changed.

Bigart

Lee...those are the cars...they had tandem seats with automobile seat belts. One rider would get in, put on the belt, and then the tandem partner got in between the legs of the first rider and belted in. There were handles on the side of the car...basically a smooth stainless steel rod recessed in the side. The rear rider's were vertical and the front rider's were horizontal. 2 people to a seat / 2 seats to a car / 2 cars to a train..8 folks max. I think they were phased out sometime in the early 90's.
If anyone has any pics be sure to post them!

Lee

Adventurer
Lee...those are the cars...they had tandem seats with automobile seat belts. One rider would get in, put on the belt, and then the tandem partner got in between the legs of the first rider and belted in. There were handles on the side of the car...basically a smooth stainless steel rod recessed in the side. The rear rider's were vertical and the front rider's were horizontal. 2 people to a seat / 2 seats to a car / 2 cars to a train..8 folks max. I think they were phased out sometime in the early 90's.
If anyone has any pics be sure to post them!

Yep. Rode like that many times, both on SM and Matterhorn.

vintageepcot

I just hope they keep the glowing stripes on the sides. I like looking up at them close to the top of the building. I remember being so fascinated with them when I was like 6. It was also the first roller coaster I ever went on.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom