Space Mountain

Favrefire4

Original Poster
From my source I heard that in a few years there is a possibility of Disney closing Space Mountain and completely re-doing the ride. It would be more like the one in Paris with inversions. Has anyone else heard this rumor or any other rumors concering Space Mountain? Thanks in advance........

Main Street USA

I have heard the rumors, but for a number of reasons, I strongly doubt they will do anything to the WDW Space Mountain or DL's.

From what I know about coasters and the current building, it would take more than a big rehab for this to happen. In fact, it might almost make more sense to tear it down and start from scratch.

Also, and this is my personal opinion, WDW, DL, and Paris SHOULD have distinctly different versions in order to keep them truly unique. I wouldn't want to see Paris' version at WDW.:)

orangefan15

Wow, I hope not. Nothing against inverted coasters (I ride them all the time), but Space Mountain at WDW is not that type of coaster. Its a family coaster of sorts. One of those ones the almost everyone in the family can ride...put in inversions, and a large porition of the family can't ride anymore. Takes away from the fun of it.

TURKEY

Originally posted by orangefan15
Wow, I hope not. Nothing against inverted coasters (I ride them all the time), but Space Mountain at WDW is not that type of coaster. Its a family coaster of sorts. One of those ones the almost everyone in the family can ride...put in inversions, and a large porition of the family can't ride anymore. Takes away from the fun of it.

Especially if this redo with Stitch is going to take place. I don't want to see an inverted coaster because I think that could be just as scary as Alien Encounter.

ToTBellHop

By the way, Disneyland's Space Mountain already has a confirmed 18 month refurbishment, starting this Labor Day, that will involve a completely new theme, and new track, however, the track layout will be identical to the current layout, just w/ new metal.

WDWFREAK53

Originally posted by DogsRule!
By the way, Disneyland's Space Mountain already has a confirmed 18 month refurbishment, starting this Labor Day, that will involve a completely new theme, and new track, however, the track layout will be identical to the current layout, just w/ new metal.

18 months is a long time

Justin

I dont think they could refurbnish it; For one thing it would be alot of work to take/off the roof and stable the track lenght, they would have to completely melt down the track and tear up the cat walks... etc...
However, Unversal Stuidos just got done with tearing up Kong :(.
It didn't seem to need any remakig.
I just dont think Disney would take out SM for a Paris Version, The building is alot bigger than Paris's and its such a classis; It has high capacity and gets alot of riders.

Justin

Originally posted by turkey leg boy
Especially if this redo with Stitch is going to take place. I don't want to see an inverted coaster because I think that could be just as scary as Alien Encounter.

What do you guys mean Inverted Rollercoaster? I just saw that... SM DLP isn't inverted its a regular vekoma sit down/launch.

imagineer boy

They're definately changing the one in DL. I hope it isn't exactly like the DLP version. I bet if they're going to do it in DL, they'll eventually do it in WDW.

meeko_33785

I hope nothing like this ever happens. I'm not a big coaster fan and Space Mountain is one of the few that I like. If Disney wants a more thrilling coaster, I would hope they would build it somewhere else insteed of tearing up a perfectly good and still very popular attraction.

orangefan15

Originally posted by Favrefire4
What does bump mean?

When a message hasn't been responded to in a while and it falls futher down the list of messages, a "bump" message is used to send the message back up to the top of the list.

Pioneer Hall

Originally posted by imagineer boy
They're definately changing the one in DL. I hope it isn't exactly like the DLP version. I bet if they're going to do it in DL, they'll eventually do it in WDW.

Disneyland's Space Mountain will be getting the same ride just rebuilt. The track layout will be EXACTLY the same. The only difference will be the theme.

MrPromey

Originally posted by Justin
I dont think they could refurbnish it; For one thing it would be alot of work to take/off the roof and stable the track lenght, they would have to completely melt down the track and tear up the cat walks... etc...
However, Unversal Stuidos just got done with tearing up Kong :(.
It didn't seem to need any remakig.
I just dont think Disney would take out SM for a Paris Version, The building is alot bigger than Paris's and its such a classis; It has high capacity and gets alot of riders.

The (former) Kong building is sort of a different story. only the front side of that building had any real theme. the actual building was just a big cube that was painted on the back side to resemble a sound stage (sort of like the actual ride building for RnR and MGM) because of the way it faced, they could have torn out nearly the entire back wall to gut and replace and guest would not have been likely to notice much of anything. With Space Mountain, you're talking about a unique fully themed structure that can be seem from just about every angle inside and outside of the park. The next time you ride the manorial, look at what is around the back side of it. I'd think they would have a bit of trouble going into it from that direction and I'm sure that using the front of it for a construction entrance would also not be a desirable option, especially since this could also affect another attraction - the WDW Railroad.

All of this aside, there is little reason to believe that they have any intention of changing an attraction that already draws some of the largest crowds in the MK regardless of how hair raising a ride it is not. :)

BTW, just wanted to point out to everyone that Space Mountain in DL is not the same as what is in WDW. I'm not sure that everyone realizes that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom