Space Mountain - WDW - Does It Still Shake Really Badly?

monykalyn

Recent trip (NYE week)- rode Space 3 times (first time in years-back in my DCP days I once rode it for hours, with lights on, as a crash test dummy for a new braking part or something -on 3rd to last turn IIRC-i don't think they try new stuff on CMs anymore :p). The ride to the right was noticeable better than the the track to the left -did twice (very close together) on right and the left side the next day. I'm now done with Space Mountain because I never want to experience the left track again. Both my husband and daughter had same reaction I did.

NickMaio

Never been to DL - so I have no frame of reference.
I always thought the bumpy ride was part of its charm. A real 80's relic.
However, speakers for each rider would be a great addition.

carolynk

We just returned from a NYE trip, and I'm pretty sure I rode SM for the last time. I have occasional back & neck pain, and I can't enjoy a ride when the whole time I'm on it, I'm worried about what permanent damage I might be doing.
At least with Everest, I've figured out that I have to press my head against the headrest on the backwards part, and then I'm fine. Not being able to see in SM is a big problem for me.

markhio

Well frankly, as I have gotten older, I have found that coaster rides have become more and more problematic (and I used to fly jets). When flying (much younger), I was much more able to train myself to deal with the effects of the aerobatics, especially if I was flying frequently. After leaving the service, I find I am moving farther and farther away from trained senses to deal with the forces experienced with roller coasters (especially ones like SM), or even some of the virtual reality rides (such as those at Universal). I first noticed the phenomenon happening at Busch Gardens in Tampa after riding a coaster ride 3 times in a row. It has gotten progressively "worse" as I grow older.

SM used to be a favorite, now a single ride during each visit is sufficient. It's main effect is due to the darkness and not being able to anticipate the next move which has an effect on the inner ear. This problem can also manifest itself on "simulator" type rides such as Star Tours or the VR rides a Universal. These is a well known effect in the simulator community know as "simulator sickness". It is caused by a lack of coordination between what you are seeing, and what you are feeling (in the seat of the pants). It is often mistaken for motion sickness (it feels the same, but the effect usually lasts much longer than motion sickness). But it caused by this "disconnect". An extreme example would be you see a turn to the right coming up, but when you get there, it feels like you are turning left. Anyway, the real problem is your just getting old :hilarious:. There is a good animation of how the motion platform on a ride like Star Tours works here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motion_simulator

Railfan Andrew

MK's SM gets a ton of hate. I think they have some issues maintaining the show scenes and yes the track should be replaced bla bla bla but it's not as bad as people make it out to be.
It's hated for a few reasons:

1. It doesn't have an onboard soundtrack
2. No special overlays *That ties in with the lack of onboard soundtrack*
3. Its ride vehicles are significantly smaller than DL

NeedMoreMickey

Rode Space in Disneyland January of last year with the Star Wars theme going on and loved it. Rode Space in WDW March last year for the last time. It’s too boring to justify the rough ride. Skipped it my next two trips

mergatroid

Been enjoying SM for over 40 years and keep reading on here how terrible it's got. I can honestly say (and I still ride it) that I've never experienced an uncomfortable ride. My only complaint would be them adding the brake before the drop, other than that I don't get the hate for it?

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I don't have back problems. Never have. But every time I ride SM, my back hurts for 20 minutes afterwards. As I get older, the frequency I ride gets less and less. I'm now at once or twice a year.

msg7

As an avid roller coaster enthusiast, I can confidently say that while space mountain may not be intense or fast, it still is one of my favorite coasters. (I've ridden 102) I think just being in the dark alone makes SM fun. I also think that its roughness contributes to its "fun factor."

wdworlandlover

I’ve ridden it several times over the past year, most recently in January. It’s really rough and I go to the park each time planning to skip it. Yet...I get right back on. As much as it jostles you to your core, it’s a classic!

GVentola

I hate that they took the glow strips off of the cars and covered the loading areas. The old Space Mountain had so much character.

I hate that, too, but not because of the ride itself--I've only been on twice. I'm saying that because I miss it when I ride Tomorrowland Transit Authority/People Mover. The part where you get a "sneak peek" at Space Mountain is just pure blackness now. I miss being able to see the cars go up and down.

Now that Space Mountain has gone to complete darkness, I don't intend to ride it anymore. It was hard enough seeing/anticipating the track before. I can handle drops much bigger than the ones in Space Mountain if I can see them coming, but suddenly going down in Space Mountain causes me to have an uncomfortable feeling in my stomach.

Dutch Inn '76

Yeah, I don't ride SM at WDW anymore. Not fun. I literally broke my neck on it 8 years ago. I have to have nerve blocks every ~2 years because of it. My next one is May 4th...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom