Space Mountain - WDW - Does It Still Shake Really Badly?

Berret

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Hi everyone. It's been a while since I've been on here, and mostly lurking and reading since then. I wanted to ask if Space Mountain at WDW still has the horrible shakes. I used to enjoy riding Space Mountain, would do it multiple times in a row when I was younger. However, the last time I went, which was in May/June of 2014, I rode it with my new wife and stepson, and it shook me up so badly that I literally had a headache the rest of the day. I hadn't felt that bad in a long time. I never rode it again that trip. If things work out well, we'll be going again in May/June, along with my daughter who will be 2 then. I just want to find out from those who have been there recently if it still bucks like a bronco. I don't remember, but I think I went on the right side(as you're coming into the queue area). I would love to ride it again, because it's such a classic ride, but if I end up feeling so bad again, it's definitely not worth it. Thanks very much for your thoughts.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Paradoxically, the key to riding SM comfortably is to ride it more often...

The reason you got whipped around so badly is that you can't see which way the cars will be going so you can't anticipate the turns/dips. If you ride it more often, you'll get to know the tracks, and you can better anticipate, thus not being beaten up quite so badly.

Minnie Mum

Larryz makes a good point. But I can't ride it any more. When I was decades younger I could ride SM with no ill effects. Now that I'm collecting a senior pension, it leaves me with a sore neck. So I take my DGS to Buzz while his parents ride SM. Know your limit and ride within it.

Oddly enough, while SM is too rough for me, I can enjoy BTMRR. I think the difference is being able to see what's coming up and adjust for the turns and dips.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Paradoxically, the key to riding SM comfortably is to ride it more often...

The reason you got whipped around so badly is that you can't see which way the cars will be going so you can't anticipate the turns/dips. If you ride it more often, you'll get to know the tracks, and you can better anticipate, thus not being beaten up quite so badly.
The first trim Hill is still a killer. Even knowing where it is.

Berret

Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Were you on the front of the train? Many trips down the road, I was put on the front car, and it is a different ride. The turns are MUCH more abrupt than riding back in the train.

I honestly don't remember, but I was probably in the front car and my stepson in the lead, because I wanted him to be able to do so. I just felt like I was being shaken apart. I don't think it was the turns as much as the shaking/vibrating.

MAGICFLOP

I think that is the nature of the beast. SM is so tight and making sharp tight turns one after the other, it lends itself to the shimmering, but for me that was always the fun of the ride. Wooden roller coasters shimmer more violently around turns. I have always considered it smooth for what it is.

NelleBelle

Totally agree that DL has a much smoother SM! I also prefer the seating arrangement on DL's SM as well. I, too, end up getting a migraine after riding WDW SM!! :cautious:

Sundown

May I ask...did we get close recently? I know you mentioned the Tomorrowland "sprucing up" by those Cast Members who cared about the little things in the land. I think at the time the exterior lighting and exterior painting of Space Mountain was being done, as well as the addition of the new Carousel of Progress sign.

And, in your estimation what might the cost be to bring back the Magic Kingdom's Space Mountain to it's glory?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom