Space Mountain Thrill Factor?

DonaldDoleWhip

Original Poster
A few weeks ago, there was a thread about Expedition Everest and how thrilling it is. After reading through that thread, I decided that I would try EE during my trip. Well, I tried it and I had a lot of fun (the backwards part is incredibly thrilling and pretty uncomfortable, but it isn't unbearable).

Now before I go home in two days, I'm trying to figure out if I would like Space Mountain. I've been on Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, Test Track, Mission Space Orange, Dinosaur, and Expedition Everest. I'm ok with pretty much all these rides, but I'm still nervous to try Space Mountain.

On Space Mountain, are there a lot of drops and dips? How uncomfortable are they? Also, how does the darkness of the ride affect how scary it is? I'm hoping that I'll be able to ride SM by the end of my trip, but I'm not sure.

tooltime

A few weeks ago, there was a thread about Expedition Everest and how thrilling it is. After reading through that thread, I decided that I would try EE during my trip. Well, I tried it and I had a lot of fun (the backwards part is incredibly thrilling and pretty uncomfortable, but it isn't unbearable).

Now before I go home in two days, I'm trying to figure out if I would like Space Mountain. I've been on Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, Test Track, Mission Space Orange, Dinosaur, and Expedition Everest. I'm ok with pretty much all these rides, but I'm still nervous to try Space Mountain.

On Space Mountain, are there a lot of drops and dips? How uncomfortable are they? Also, how does the darkness of the ride affect how scary it is? I'm hoping that I'll be able to ride SM by the end of my trip, but I'm not sure.

i think it's a classic. imo the best way to ride is in the front AND with your eyes closed (so you can't see the turns and drops coming up) :sohappy:

The MaD Hatter

I would say Space Mountain is a very mild thrill ride, about on par with BTMR. There aren't any big drops or high speeds (I think the top speed is around 28mph) like EE; however the track is very rickety and in dire need of a refurb. Therefore you end up getting bumped and tossed around a lot. The darkness doesn't add much to the thrill factor because frankly it doesn't seems as dark in there anymore. I don't remember ever being able to see the track when I rode as a kid. Now I can see all the turns and dips coming, even when I'm not riding in the front seat.

So in sum it's not that thrilling (at least compared to other coasters) and the real thing to be worried about is coming out with a sore back from all the bumps in the track. Overall, I still like it a lot, but the track needs a major refurb before I'll say I love it again.

paul436

If you can handle the other rides you've been on then you can handle Space Mountain. It not that smooth of a ride but definitely a lot of fun. The darkness adds to the excitement. Especially the first time you ride it and don't know when the dips and turns are coming up.

PanfanAL

You absolutely must ride SM. It is a classic, and a lot tamer than EE. It is just good fun. Like others have said it is a little rough, because of wear and tear, but still super fun!

Captain Hank

If you've been on Expedition: Everest, you'll have no problems whatsoever with Space Mountain. It's a very different coaster style than Everest, focusing on tight, unexpected turns and small drops. IIRC, there are only two drops of note on Space Mountain, neither of which are anywhere near the intensity of Everest's. You'll have a blast! :wave:

daverube

The 2 Space Mountain coasters are very worthwhile. If you were a coaster enthusiast, I'd say they have an old school, somewhat crazy mouse feel, but with smoother turns....

Though they both have a short, steep drop during the ride, I think that the left side is more of a gut-sucker (ie. you feel like you'll lose your breath for an instant....but you really don't).... That being said, go right (Beta?) first then, if you like it, go left (Alpha?)....

my 2 cents...

dave

righttrack

My S.O. loves EE and fears SM. Can't seem to figure it out. To her, the slowness of SM feels like floating, and her fear of heights and the unexpected kicks in. She won't go on SM again, yet EE and RnRRC are just fine.

Thiger

If you've been on Expedition: Everest, you'll have no problems whatsoever with Space Mountain. It's a very different coaster style than Everest, focusing on tight, unexpected turns and small drops. IIRC, there are only two drops of note on Space Mountain, neither of which are anywhere near the intensity of Everest's. You'll have a blast! :wave:

Well said, and that's an awesome avatar you have!

He's right, its pretty mild but really fun.

I must be the only one but I find Space Mountain to be even more stressful than even The Hulk over at IoA or Dueling Dragons. :lol:

When I'm on Space I always feel like it could be my last ride ever. That's half the reason its so fun for me. lol

If you had no problem with EE you will have no problem with Space. Theres only one drop that is even considerable (and barely even then)......the rest is just lots of sharp turns. Its very fun!

Texas84

No one rides it anymore. The lines are too long. :D I feel like EE tries to scare you (it does). SM is just fun! And it was pretty durn dark in December. That big drop surprised me this time!

H20Babie

My DS, who was 5, rode it last year for the first time. He wouldn't go on EE (scared of the Yeti), but he pretty much did everything else he was tall enough to ride. Personally, I cannot go to MK without riding SM.

Hammer1310

I found a new favorite way to ride SM this last trip. Since it's so much easier to see inside these days and I was in the last seat I just leaned back and stared at the stars for most of the ride. The view was cool and it made the ride more suprising.
:sohappy:

DonaldDoleWhip

Original Poster
It definitely helped having all these viewpoints on Space Mountain. I rode it today and I really liked it, so I rode it again 2 more times. The roller coaster actually seemed pretty smooth to me (the only uncomfortable part was the lift). The drops and turns were exciting but not bad at all. The only thing that scared me was during a lot of the ride I felt like I had to duck my head or it would be chopped off.

I want to ride SM again tomorrow (this time I want to try the left track, because all of my rides today were on the right side). SM is one of my favorite MK rides now! It could definitely use a refurb, but it's still plenty of fun (especially the beginning tunnel).

Thanks guys! :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom