Space Mountain RUMOR on WDWMAGIC main page.....

adr315

Original Poster
It has the rumor of a semi-major rehab on SM at the end of 2002 with possibility of a "track reconfiguration"...... Anyone have any ideas what this could be? With the rumors (and pics) of new trains for SM in DL (even tho seating is different).... Do yall think we could possiblly get new trains, possibily with a speaker system? Or better yet, maybe we could be getting SM: From the Earth to the Moon (one can dream, cant they?) So what do u all think.....?

woofboy111

I think they should keep the ride as it is. They should keep each space mt original. If they want to reconfigure the track, why not reconfigure new track somewhere else into another coaster?

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
A total replacement of the track would probably involve tearing a large part of the mountain apart so that cranes could access it...I'm not sure if Disney is up for this.

howlin_mad

A sound system would be nice, but I think it would be neat if the whole ride were a little darker with a whole lot of special effects along the track. I would also redo the que line so that a lot more of the stand-by line would wait inside the building rather than being outside and stretching to the TTA station. There's plenty of room in there. All it needs is a little redesigning.

I know the physics would not allow it, but it would be awesome that after you turned from the blue flashings lughts, up the lift hill, it was a catapult, so you were really hurtled into space......but if they did that cars would probably fly out the side of the building into the real space!!!

track layout

actually I think that the track will be much like the one in disneyland paris. If you arent familiar with this track layout, here's the deal::cool:

at the beginning of he ride you shoot out of a cannon (attatched to the side of the mountain) into the sky! then the track jerks down into the tip of the mountain. after that the ride is pretty much the same:rolleyes:

as for the painting on the inside wall, I hope they paint glowing planets. I think that moving lights that outline constellations would be cool too.

if you want a pic of that disney paris version of SM click this link: http://www.disneylandparis.com/uk/e...neyland_park/discoveryland/space_mountain.htm

DigitalDisney

They could make some simple changes to the effects and whatnot.

- Totally enclose the stations. The light from them illuminates the rest of the ride
- Add fiber optics as stars
- Add sound to the cars
- Change the start of the ride (it looks a bit cheesy and out-dated)
- etc.

woofboy111

Originally posted by DigitalDisney
They could make some simple changes to the effects and whatnot.

- Totally enclose the stations. The light from them illuminates the rest of the ride
- Add fiber optics as stars
- Add sound to the cars
- Change the start of the ride (it looks a bit cheesy and out-dated)
- etc.

I kind of like the stations how they are. It's cool to look down at them while you're on the ride. I do think they should enclose the lift hill though, besides changing the stuff in it.

Also, it probably is possible to put a catipult launch in the current lift hills. If they start it fast, and about half way up, you coast the rest of the way, you would probably get to the top at the same speed that you normally get there at.

fridgepoliceman: cool site. I like the video on it. The one in paris looks like a really cool ride. Do they really have all of that fog as you are going up the hill?

adr315

Original Poster
I said "SM: From the Earth to the Moon" b/c thats the official name of Paris's SM...... problem is, the ride is almost as complex as RNRC, and would probably require demolishing the existing SM building and starting from scratch, which would take at least 2 years to complete (knowing Disney, probably more). As for the new SM trains for DL, i saw them at mouseplanet.com. They are purple and have a better sound system then the old trains. Question is, why install these new trains only 2 years before they supposedely get a major upgrade on SM for the 50th anniv...... I question Disney's logic a lot

ToTBellHop

Space Mountain in Paris the same as ours? Not quite. It's much faster and has three inversions. I think it's more like Rock 'n' Roller Coaster than Space Mountain. I think this whole ride could use some re-working...how bout something a little more realistic than flying cookies? As for a catapult launch...that would require that they redo the entire lift hill area as it is themed as though you are already in space. I don't know how long disney wants to spend on this, but changes like that could take 6-8 months.

Javier&Christie

Bah... leave Space Mountain AS IS.. and let's make a whole new ride somewhere else, and leave this one untouched :D.. there's better ways to spend $$ then to tear great, classic rides that are still popular down.

Terp02

I'd be happy if they changed the track to be like the DL one, I liked the DL one a lot better, more turns it seemed and a little bit faster. It'd be really cool if they had some loops but that'd take too long to build and too expensive.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Originally posted by woofboy111

fridgepoliceman: cool site. I like the video on it. The one in paris looks like a really cool ride. Do they really have all of that fog as you are going up the hill?

Yes the Columbiad Cannon blasts out steam as it launches the train up the incline. :)

NowInc

hehe...This is something I have been hinting at for almost 6 months now....but now the rumors are getting stronger and stronger...Tommorowland has that "void" area on that end of the park..so they need something BIG to bring it back to life...

ToTBellHop

a cannon on the outside? Dang...that could take like a year to do! Not that I wouldn't be happy...but that would be EXTENSIVE...completely move the queue line and station...redo the outside of the building...rework the track inside, and build new trains...however, it would offer a new, more thrilling ride...basically a new mountain, only slightly cheaper than REALLY building a new mountain...I think it'd work.

WDW Imagineer

Well it is not like space is a problem if they were going to make a large rehab out of it, all they would have to do is tear down the old skyway building. I hate to see things not used, and if they do tear it down I hope it gets put to good use, mainly to make space mountain bigger and better!:sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom