Space Mountain Rehab?

jmuboy

So UoE has major roof issues? Didn't they just repair major roof issues at the Living Seas? I know Disney World is really big and things cost money......but problems like this would not have happened in the 80's or even most of the 90's.

KaliSplash

I can't imagine that SM needs anything more than IASW got. Updated vehicles, better audio, polishing.

As to the loops. There is only one ride in all of WDW that my wife hasn't ridden (Not counting the kiddie clones Alladin and Triceratops) and that's the Rock N Roller Coaster. Why? Because it goes upside down and she doesn't and won't. (not that I'm likely to get her back on TOT ever again, but she did try it once!) As has been pointed out several times above, loops eliminate many riders and I think that's a bad idea.

diddy_mouse

to me, it would be strange to change SM (i know, the mountain does ride a little rough after all these years). that is the type of ride that you love coming back to. think about your favorite wooden or steel coaster (if you have one)...would you want that great ride to make a drastic change?

Space was the first coaster i ever rode and it was a great thrill for me (granted i've moved on to Rock n Roller Coaster and various other coasters) and i still love the feeling i get when i ride that ride. sure, i end up with a little headache afterwards, but i always go back for more! :hammer: and the queue music is great, that is one of the main reasons i keep coming back...gotta love the star tunnel...

SM could have a few kinks straightened out, like updating the ride vehicles, but other than that...the track, in all its rickety glory, remains a classic.

KevinPage

Lee said:
Ok, Kevin...I bow to your expertise... :animwink:
I'm only at about 100 coasters, and again...I see it as a matter of taste. I like B&M loopers, stand-ups, etc. and pretty much everything else. Intamins are great...love Xcelerator, Millie, Superman, etc. And yes, inversions aren't everything...but I like them...call me crazy.
On thing we agree on is Son of Beast. I have equated it to a wooden mugging. Rode it in 2000 and loved it, rode it last year and was nearly beaten unconscious. Same with Ghostrider...and Georgia Cyclone for that matter. :D

Haha, at least you know your place. :lol: Of course this is all subjective.

I was able to ride Xcelerator before it offiicially opened to the public, had to wait 2 friggin hours for it as well. Good ride, but too short and 1 trick pony's wear out their welcome after a few years. I prefer full circuit normal coasters. I'd like to eventually get on Top Thrill Dragster and Kingdom Ka,but not dying to by any means. (I can't imagine a Six Flags parks operating this type of ride without 8 million problems)

I won't say I despise inversions, as Schwarkorf shuttle loops are pretty dang spiffy is you ask me. But again, looping coasters I do a few times and then run back over to the wooden coaster of hyper/mega to ride all day.

I rode Son of Beast in Spring 2001 when they at least somewhat corrected the multitude of problems, so I'm surprised you got off the ride alive a year earlier and actually enjoyed it. The trains are horrid, bumps and shakes on straight part of the track, absolutely NO surprises, it's just too big and drawn out you see everything coming. I rode it 2X and have no desire to ever do so again.

Ghostrider I rode the same weekend as Xcelerator and only got 2 rides due to looong lines. I was blown away by the ride (like all CCI woodies) even thought it was a bit on the rough side, which is the fault of KBF maintenance department.

If you want to ride the greatest maintained CCI woodies in the world, get to Holiday World in Santa Claus, Indiana. Arguebly the 2 greatest roller coasters in the world (The Legend & The Raven).

Serman over :D :D :D

P.S. - What is the subject of this thread again :confused: :lol:

thelegndofzelda

Honestly all they really need to do is give it a little elbow greese and its good. they should really put new tracks on it though (same track design) just smoother tracks cause that ride kills my back. but i still love it.

DizkneeBoi

Account Suspended
The only thing I'd like to add to the current attraction would be an on-board soundtrack with speakers in each seat like they did in Disneyland. Music always makes rides better!

dixiegirl

oh please no ! i vote not to change it either, no matter howmany times i ride this ride i never know where i'm gonna get whipped around...and besides if you want a roller coaster style ride go to that other "adventure " place in orlando!! i'm sorry i hate when classic rides are torn apart and ruined...remember disney world is not an amusement park with cheesy rides.. (god knows there are plenty of those crappy style places around, ) thats what sets disney world aside from those other esablishments.. its a theme park. plain and simple...please i know i'm not the only one who feels this way.

KumbaRider

I support adding new attractions as opposed to killing classics. However, I strongly favor a much needed rehab of SM. It deperately needs major maintenance, including updating of audio and visual effects. They should keep the single seat trains.......But if they do decide to gut it, they MUST keep it family friendly, take full advantage of the "space", but still keep the original feeling and atmosphere of the ride. I must admit, HM and PotC are higher up on the rehab list right now though.

More importantaly, however, we must remember that Walt himself said that his rides should evolve with the times, wherever that may take them...

Shrike

<!--StartFragment -->DL's SM needed it, not only from a asthetic standpoint, but from a safety standpoint as well. Apparently, the tracks would have been unsafe due to metal fatigue in the next few years.

[size=-1][/size]
[size=-1]ANAHEIM, Calif. - March 4, 2005 – As the countdown begins to May 5, 2005, and the launch of the 50th anniversary of Disneyland, the “Happiest Homecoming on Earth,” another countdown is now underway in Tomorrowland for the re-launch of “Space Mountain.” The anticipation has begun as one of the most popular adventures at Disneyland gets ready to blast-off into a new era of thrills![/size]
[size=-1]“We’re very happy to announce that ‘Space Mountain’ will re-open on July 15 as one of the many celebratory festivities leading to our actual 50th anniversary on July 17,” said Matt Ouimet, president of the Disneyland Resort, during a State of the Resort presentation today for local government and business leaders. “Guests will find the classic elements they love, combined with new technology and special effects that make the experience even more of a 'wow!"[/size]

[size=-1]“Space Mountain,” the high-speed interstellar adventure that has captivated Disneyland guests since its debut in 1977, re-opens following nearly two years of enhancements and improvements. As the signature attraction of Tomorrowland, “Space Mountain” will once again beckon guests to its gleaming white spires and ominous slopes to experience anew the intergalactic adventure inside.[/size]

[size=-1]The attraction will return to its regular flight schedule with enhanced narrative elements and state-of-the-art special effects within the attraction and queue area, while retaining its essential theme and flight path through the dark reaches of outer space.[/size]

[size=-1]Ardent “Space Mountain” fans will find the attraction sporting a new generation of special effects, new rocket vehicles and a brand-new, custom soundtrack. Through an all-new queue and hi-tech launch port inspired by today’s era of space exploration (Mars Rover, Hubble telescope, etc.), guests will feel as if they have a first-hand look into the cosmos.[/size]

[size=-1]After boarding their rockets, guests will be wowed by a feeling of disorientation in the launch tunnel, hurling them towards a close encounter with a large meteorite. Following an exhilarating race through space, the experience will culminate with a new finale featuring a longer re-entry tunnel filled with spectacular lighting effects.[/size]

[size=-1]The initial concept for “Space Mountain” originated with Walt Disney himself back in the mid-1960s, when it was known simply as “Space Port” and destined to become an addition to Tomorrowland at Disneyland. The concept became a reality in 1975 when, after more than a decade of planning, the first incarnation of “Space Mountain” actually premiered in the Magic Kingdom Park at Walt Disney World Resort in Florida.[/size]

[size=-1]“Space Mountain” had its southern California premiere at Disneyland two years later on May 27, 1977. The U.S. Mercury Astronauts, America’s first men in space, were on hand for the grand opening ceremonies and to christen the 118 foot tall “mountain.”[/size]

[size=-1]The re-launch of “Space Mountain” joins an incredible array of new and exciting adventures, attractions and spectacular entertainment premiering at Disneyland during its “Happiest Homecoming on Earth” 50th anniversary celebration, launching May 5, 2005. Other highlights include the fun-filled and interactive “Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters” in Tomorrowland, the spectacle of “Walt Disney’s Parade of Dreams,” “Remember . . . Dreams Come True,” (the biggest fireworks spectacular in Disneyland history), the engaging retrospective “Disneyland: The First 50 Magical Years” and the energetic “Block Party Bash” at Disney’s California Adventure.[/size]

jaredliu

Lee said:
As I feel the need to say periodically:

GUT THAT PUPPY!

As of July 15, Magic Kingdom will officially have the weakest, most craptacular Space Mountain of them all...sad. Give it the Disneyland treatment, at the very least.

LOL!!! That's is so true that I can stop laughing. Especially considering about the smoothness. MK's version is just so jerky!

Figment1986

If you want to.. give WDw the DL treatment.. cloning the track.. repalce with same layout.... update SEs.... and mabey an onboard audio in the "New" Bobsled cars.... That would make WDW's be better.. and yet still original...

(WDW's was the First SM... Without it we wouldn't have DLs or DLPs.... It should be treted like a classic.. if you want thrills goto MGM... MK is for families.. not just parents...
(if they added a loop.. that would mean high height limit...)

jaredliu

Imagineers have the best reputation on show effects (visual effects) rather than thrilling element. That's how they enhance TOT at DCA (mirror effect), HM at DL, and of course SM. The combination of Show element+thrill element is one of the kind belong to Disney attraction. From that point of view, SM at MK is not a top notch. The effects is kind of outdated and cheap, especially comparing to it's new neighbor attraction Mission Space.(they all both space-travel-related ride). DL's version is not changing the intensity of the ride but all the other themeing and effects. I don't think that will ruin a classic at any respect. Matt Ouimet put it in a perfect way : Disneyland is not a museum.

se8472

DispatchInhibit said:
The only changes that would be nice would be some music in the rockets, and a nice preshow again like back in the FedEX days so the guests have something else to do rather than yell at us cast members.

heck yeahs

Figment1986

What about... Resort TV.. hehe.... Just mute it... Nahhh.... still tomany compaints from girls compaining....

what about modern day actors doing stuff on SMC TV.... (space Mt. command..)

And talking about where you are heading for... WDW in pleasent Florida.... hehe then advertise MS.... and a few other things around WDW... it would work...

maxime29

Premium Member
I miss the videos shown before the ride when FedEx sponsored the ride. I still want to get a video of that.

Come to think of it, the only way SM will ever see a completely new design is if the ride gets a sponsor again IMO.

I also feel that the current setup with the 2 tracks make it better for the flow of riders per hour.

Flbeachbum

Do we think Disney will just go in and clean up the roughness? I think if there is a rehab coming its going to be very small and simple or they go in and gut the current ride. If they are going to take the time to fix the track and ride vehicles, they will go ahead and make it a full rehab/re-do (or however you want to word it).

For those looking to keep it classic, would you be opposed to them putting in a new track but with a similar design? (keeping speeds down, no loops and relying on dips, turns and darkness for the thrill)

I have no problem with them putting in a new track. But I would like it to keep close to the original theme of keeping the family together. SM is usually someone's first coaster they ride. Its a starting point to rollercoasters for alot of people. And adds variety to the different levels of coasters available.

Lets keep adding to the parks though with some rides like everest and taking that to the next level.

Just my opinion.

Lee

Adventurer
dixiegirl said:
...and besides if you want a roller coaster style ride go to that other "adventure " place in orlando!! .. its a theme park. plain and simple...please i know i'm not the only one who feels this way.

So....Disney can't have coasters?

It can...and it should. In fact they should be the highest quality coasters in the world.

Flbeachbum

Lee,
I am with you on this one. I think Disney can have all levels of rides. And they should be themed and a better quality then any other park. Thats what is Disney. Something for everyone. Can we really expect them to make every single ride so that every person can go on them? Nah. But if they have a wide variety and the majority of rides are for all ages and sizes, that is the goal. Its spreads out the crowds as well.

But its not always a good thing if they are replacing rides just to put a thrill in. I would have loved to seen World of Motion stay.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom