Space Mountain Refurb. Jan. 2008

Hummer1676

Original Poster
Lee, Corrus, or Re-Disney Dew, is this rumor true? Screamscape is reporting that they aren't updating anything worth while. Sounds like their updating the ride loading area and wheelchair accessibility. It needs a major overhaul.
Give us a nugget. Please.:D

WDWFigment

Here is what Screamscape said (emphasis mine):

Screamscape.com said:
2008/2009 - Space Mountain 2.0 - Rumor - (6/28/07) According to Screamscape sources, Disney is looking at shutting down Space Mountain in January 2008 for rehab. While it would be nice to see the ride get rebuilt from scratch into a copy of the Disneyland version, it seems this is not meant to be. Instead they will add loading gates, add some kind of wheelchair loading area with a transfer track and they are likely to replace some track sections though I assume this will mostly be in the load/unload areas to accommodate the new wheelchair loading facility. Nothing more was said about adding any new effects, cars or even a sound system right now.

I take "nothing more was said" to mean, at this point, they really don't know what else will be done, but the aforementioned things, at the very least, will be done. I would not take this for the gospel, for as disappointing as it reads, it also reads like speculation...

Hummer1676

Original Poster
Here is what Screamscape said (emphasis mine):

I take "nothing more was said" to mean, at this point, they really don't know what else will be done, but the aforementioned things, at the very least, will be done. I would not take this for the gospel, for as disappointing as it reads, it also reads like speculation...

I agree, I was hoping some of the "in the know" can give some more nuggets.

darthjohnny

I'm surprised they're finally adding loading gates to that ride.

I wonder if they will get rid of the second loading areas on each side now that they are installing these gates.

Space Mountain

I agree, I was hoping some of the "in the know" can give some more nuggets.

WDW knows what they will be doing for SM's rehab. There will be some noticeable changes and some I wish would be better..I wish I could spill out everything I know about the rehab, but I don't want Mickey kicking me out of his Kingdom..

The rehab will help, a lot.. things may change by time the rehab begins. Hope for the best and watch for permits being filed as they will definitely give away most of the rehab information.

Lee

Adventurer
Knowing of the fantastic refurb concepts that have been developed for Space Mountain...if (a big "if" at this point) they do a minor "freshen" of the sort Screamscape mentioned...I will personally purchase a pie, walk up to Phil Holmes, and plant it right in his kisser. Only a bunch of spineless, cheap, unimaginative cowards would go that route.

1106.gif

I have spoken. End of vent.

Hummer1676

Original Poster
Knowing of the fantastic refurb concepts that have been developed for Space Mountain...if (a big "if" at this point) they do a minor "freshen" of the sort Screamscape mentioned...I will personally purchase a pie, walk up to Phil Holmes, and plant it right in his kisser. Only a bunch of spineless, cheap, unimaginative cowards would go that route.

1106.gif

Fricken Awesome. THATS RIGHT LEE!

the-reason14

I really hope this is true. To me its better because its during the off season. And SM doesnt need any major overhaul/redo its fine just the way it is. Changing it into a rrcr part 2 with a space theme would just suck and be stupid and is useless.

culturenthrills

1106.gif

You will have to get in line with the rest of us if this turns out to be a cheap rehab.

Hummer1676

Original Poster
I really hope this is true. To me its better because its during the off season. And SM doesnt need any major overhaul/redo its fine just the way it is. Changing it into a rrcr part 2 with a space theme would just suck and be stupid and is useless.

Thats not what they want to do. Its just to update it. I had the pleasure of riding disneylands about three weeks ago and it is uncomparible to MK. SM needs some updating and cleaning. Its stuck in the 70's, all it needs is a mullet and move to Montgomery AL. What they are planning to do is just update it for what the future might hold. I mean come on, in the 70's we probably thought that was what the year 2000 was going to be. For it to be a part of tomorrowland it, especially, needs to stay fresh.

pheneix

Only a bunch of spineless, cheap, unimaginative cowards would go that route.

1106.gif

Well you pretty much summed up Phil Holmes right there. Phil is probably the worst executive that has ever worked in Disney Parks and Resorts. Worse than Paul Pressler. This guy knows his job is on the line too. The state of the Magic Kingdom and WDW as a whole has the attention of everyone in Burbank, you can thank a pitiful performance for the Board of Directors for that. If he goes through with this underfunded hack job of a refurb (and lets face it, the scope of the refurb that Screamscape hinted at is work that the other three resorts do to their rides on a re-occuring basis. Only WDW lets their rides rot to pieces), then that is a clear indicator that he truly does not care not only about the quality of his product, but his own job as well.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member

1106.gif

Let me join ya! :fork:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom