Space Mountain Queue "Space" Windows

DisneySaint

Original Poster
I have a dream...

A whacky one! I am immensely and obsessively interested in constructing a "computer room" on my house with a space theme to it. What I see in my head came to reality when I first was able to see the "space windows" in the Space Mountain queue. Some even have moving objects in them. Since this is mid 70s technology, this has got to be something pretty primitive, so I am really interested to see how it works.

Thanks for any info you guys can provide!

brkgnews

I have no idea what the 'real' answer is, but here is one thought on how it might work...

First, think of the busts in the Haunted Mansion. They're "inside out," with the concave side facing the audience. Therefore, they always are looking at us no matter where we are. Presumably, you could put the graphic on a concave surface and have part of the effect. Then, it might just be a matter of finding a slightly convex glass to further distort it.

As I said -- no idea how it really works -- that's just a guess.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I think it is simialr to brkgnews`s idea - convex/cave glass plus a magnifying layer, both between a model or image, and an outer flat piece of glass. Those lucky enough to have ridden Horizons, or have seen a video of it :animwink: will recall in the lauch tube after the Birthday Party scene the three images of Omega Centauri, Mesa Verde and Sea Castle - all done with the same effect.

Djali999

It appears to be a black spherical surface which you look into the inside of. the stars are fiber optics and the glass surface has been ground around the edes on the rear to produce a magnifying effect.

The objects in space are obviously a Pepper's Ghost illusion. the tilted mirror would bisect the spheres and appears to point down, where the model is, out of sight. It's not a bad effect, very simple.

disneylands

Account Suspended
DisneyJoey said:
I have a dream...

A whacky one! I am immensely and obsessively interested in constructing a "computer room" on my house with a space theme to it. What I see in my head came to reality when I first was able to see the "space windows" in the Space Mountain queue. Some even have moving objects in them. Since this is mid 70s technology, this has got to be something pretty primitive, so I am really interested to see how it works.

:mad: WHAT THOSE WINDOW'S ARENT REALL?????:lol:

Okay It is a mixture between the busts in the haunted mansion, and the moving objects are similar to the dancing ghosts in the haunted mansion. There is some kind of website about disney patents in which it explains how these effects are done. Maybe you'd want to check that out?

CoffeeJedi

I remember being terrified of those windows the first time I rode SM as a kid. The eery "ping" sound effects and the visual of the ghostly objects falling into the inky blackness just freaked me out. I felt like the ride was going to cast me adrift into an infinite sea and i'd never come back. Luckily my parents convinced me to ride it anyway and I loved it.

mayrag

Space mountain windows

I'm sorry, I don't have the slightest idea how these are made. But I just wanted to mention but as long as I can remember I've been always amazed by this effect. You just have to stare them as you walk by.

Valawen9

DisneyJoey said:
I have a dream...

lol...I hate looking at those when I'm in line for that! They make me dizzy!:lol: :hurl:

mountainmaster1

Those windows do produce a great effect. They are just like looking through a magnifying glass as a black board with fiber-optic lights as stars. They make me dizzy, but I just can't stop looking at them. :dazzle:

rainfully

Anyone else here stop... go backwards... go fowards... back... forth... to see what happens? :lol:

Or am I just a bit odd.... :lookaroun :eek:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
rainfully said:
Anyone else here stop... go backwards... go fowards... back... forth... to see what happens? :lol:

Or am I just a bit odd.... :lookaroun :eek:
Well if you are odd for that so am I as well as my wife,my kids and pretty much everyone else I have been on Space Mountain with.

WDW_Sam

Valawen9 said:
lol...I hate looking at those when I'm in line for that! They make me dizzy!:lol: :hurl:

One time someone had to tell me to move because i was staring at them trying to work out how they did it. In my daze the que had actually moved about 20 feet haha.

Sam

When we were there in Oct, I again found myself asking "how'd they do that?". Since this thread was last posted 2 years ago, I was wondering if anyone had any new theories or info on this? Thanks all!:cool:

Rolf

These windows actually impress me a lot and I think that they add a lot to the line que. Most of these explanations here that members provide are probably accurate. so far I am thinking that Djali999 is right about what he said.

IROC it

Ahhhhh...

<object height="80" width="300">

That is soothing...

<embed src="http://media.imeem.com/m/gkmnKmKziG" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="80" width="300"></object>

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom