Space Mountain Mission 2.0

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
Screamscape reports today a rumor that WDW may use the same marketing for the new Space Mountain as was used in Paris for theirs. Before you cry foul play, this would clearly suggest, then, that we will see major upgrades to the ride (special effects, on ride audio), and not the lame change that has been rumored of late (mostly backstage work and new loading gates). Good news to my ears, at least. It also sounds right up Jay Rasulo's alley to market two rides the same way, and this is one instance where I don't really think that's a particularly bad thing. I don't care how they market it as long as we get major upgrades.

DisneySaint

If they refurb Space Mountain, they are going to go all out. Not neccessarily Disneyland-out, but they will update that ghastly dated chain hill manakin scene as well as the vehicles, loading gates, and probably a computer upgrade.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Well, with HM refurb getting more than what we at first thought, the idea of a major SM refurb would not be beyond the scope of reality.

WDWFigment

While this would not surprise me at all, the part that worries me is this (bolded portions):

Screamscape.com said:
Space Mountain 2.0- Rumor - (7/25/07) I’ve got nothing to back this rumor up yet, but one reader claims to have heard that Walt Disney World may consider using the same Space Mountain: Mission 2 marketing gimmick used in Paris to promote the changes and re-launch of the attraction.

I'm not holding my breath, but interesting food for fodder, and hopefully it pans out to be true!

spoodles

Anyone heard any timetable rumors yet? All I remember reading is sometime in 08, and possibly down for about 2 months? Have they started to pinpoint it at all?

ToTBellHop

Original Poster
2 months? Closer to a year to do a large-scale refurbishment. I would not expect the finished product til 2009...and who knows when they want to sneak Jungle Cruise in.

culturenthrills

2 months? Closer to a year to do a large-scale refurbishment. I would not expect the finished product til 2009...and who knows when they want to sneak Jungle Cruise in.

The length of the rehab is really gonna depend on whether we are gonna get a completely new track or just a rehabbed and reinforced track. However, I would find it hard for them to put in a new audio system on the trains without getting the new track. Unless they have come up with a lighter train to make up for the extra weight the audio system adds. It was adding the audio system to the trains at DL's SM that caused the track to deteriorate to the point they had to shut the ride down months before the scheduled rehab. However, due to its size, there is alot more extra room in our SM compared to DL's it should take them alot less time to rip the track out and put in the new track.

jmvd20

Hopefully it is true that the ride will be completely re-done. Other sites have people claiming somewhat different things about how involved the re-furb is to be so I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I doubt it will be much longer till some more info is leaked to the right people.

If they do put in a new track I wonder if its going to be like DL's! I kinda like the 2 different sides! WDW Space reminds me a lot of the Madahorn(sp) with the style of cars and track...The side by side start!

I've been on Space Mountain Mission 2 in paris quite recently and without a doubt it is an amazing experiance, not to mention a top class exciting rollercoaster. But the problem with this is that SM:M2 fits the discoveryland theme set out in Paris, but it wouldn't fit in theme currently set out in MK.

Unless they planned a major tomorrowland refurb........

YankeeMouse

At this stage, I'd just be happy if we could get to ride it! Just got back from 4 days in the World, and 3 out of 4 times we went with fastpasses to Space Mt, it was closed down. Finally got to ride it once the last day. Getting to the point that we don't even want to waste a fastpass on it, get there and find it closed down again. Happy the much needed refurb/repair/upgrade is going to happen.

dave2822

When Space Mountain first jumped onto the scene, it was actually an intimidating presence in the roller coaster world. Wasn't it the first roller coaster to have all those safety warnings? The attraction was well-respected as one of the best roller coasters in the country. Years and years later, with all the new technology and the bigger/badder coasters being built, SM is hardly what it once was thought of.

I don't think there needs to be a lot of changes, but this attraction surely needs at least some TLC, if not more. When most people think of WDW coasters, they still think of SM first, so it'd be nice if it lived up to its flagship presence.

WDWGuide

This is a pretty interesting rehab. If they decide to keep "Spine-snap Mountain" in its present form, there isn't all that much they can do to plus the ride - it would probably come down to major maintenance on the track, maybe a very basic audio system, some new projections, and a re-themed queue.

On the other hand, if they decide to put in a new, modern coaster track, they're looking at a *major* expense and a long downtime while they basically tear down everything that's inside and then rebuild the queue and track from scratch. The potential for true synchronized audio, 3-D scenery, and a smooth ride that doesn't give you whiplash if you are significantly taller than six feet all sound very good to me :)

PhilharMagician

JC could close the same time as SM. I can see a 2 stage refurb of JC. First going down early 08' and then again starting late July - September all while SM is down for a 12 - 16 month gut and rebuild.

wbt06

someone said that the one in paris fits better with discoveryland than tomarrow land. i dont think this is true since it is the tomarrow that never was. i also dont think they will change the look of the building like they did in paris. haveing said that, i think that look would fit better at wdw than the space mountain we have now. i know i am going to get shot down for this by disney purests but becouse the there are the rocks in front of tomarrow land it would actually fit perfictly. but mabey thats just me hopeing to go upside down in the magic kingdom.

WDWFigment

Screamscape.com said:
2008/2009 - Space Mountain: Mission 2 - Rumor - (7/26/07) Sources tell us that the planned Space Mountain upgrade is looking at a possible 12-18 month time frame to complete and that it will now involve far more than previously thought. If the rumors are true, Disney’s game plan is to use the re-launch of Space Mountain as one of their main weapons against Universal Orlando’s Harry Potter project.

Has this rumor already become more solidified?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom