Space Mountain hurts me too much to ride it again until it's repaired. Anyone else feel this way?

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I think there is one variable factor here that a lot of us are missing - if you've been on Space Mountain as many times as I have at DL, you anticipate the movement and essentially know the track layout. If you're like me and haven't done Space Mountain at WDW but are wondering if you should, it's likely enough of a reason to be nervous based on what you're all saying.

Fox&Hound

I have to hope that once Tron opens, I can see them keeping them both open for a few months, and then quietly closing Space mountain for a significant refurb. Isn't this why Tron is coming? Always been my belief...

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I believe I said in the post that B&M seems to be OK with positive G's. They just do not want to do the negative G's (the ones that are actually fun). And, in the coaster community, there's a lot of discussion about how the newer generation B&M coasters do not have the same intensity as the older gen coasters. Montu and Kumba are from the 90's when B&M was pumping out tons of inverts, stand-ups, and seven inversion floorless/sitdowns. I loved Banshee, but a lot of people thought it was forceless (their one invert that they've made in years and years). B&M is mostly sticking to their wing coasters, dive machines, and hypers, which have drastically dialed down the intensity.

Diamondback does have the most airtime of any B&M hyper, and that's why its in my top 10. Its been a few years since I've been on AC, don't remember it too well. But if you think that B&M hypers have airtime, we need to get you on an RMC pronto. Even the Intamin hypers have a ton more ejector airtime than B&M. B&M is floater airtime at most. You haven't lived until you have airtime that is incorporated into an inversion like RMC has.
I'll probably make a pilgrimage up to Cedar Point this spring.

Patrick_Ears

I have to hope that once Tron opens, I can see them keeping them both open for a few months, and then quietly closing Space mountain for a significant refurb. Isn't this why Tron is coming? Always been my belief...

Great question, it’s very possible. We just returned this past Friday and we did see it coming along. It does look like it will be a nice size of a coaster.

bhellmer

The track is in desperate need of replacement. Management put it off a decade ago, and things have only gotten worse. This isn't nostalgia speaking. It's a 50 year old track and it needs to be replaced. Simple as that.
The tracks are less than 10 years old. The tracks were replaced during the April to November of 2009 renovation. The ride is not even 50 years old as it opened on January 15 1975 which make it 44 years old this month.

Last edited:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
The tracks are less than 10 years old. The tracks were replaced during the April to November of 2009 renovation. The ride is not even 50 years old as it opened on January 15 1975 which make it 44 years old this month.

If only this were true. Unfortunately you are mistaken.

Trackmaster

Then it may just be the design that needs to be overhauled. Disney has tons of money, and the track and supports for junior coasters are incredibly cheap, so they're probably better off tearing it all down, and starting fresh. I could see a design that stayed closer to the top, took wider turns when it was going faster, and engaged the brakes me being easier on kids and older parents -- and would allow for the minimalist restraints. I could certainly see that with the track design that they currently have, there would be little that maintenance could do to provide a smooth ride -- especially when you can't see where you're going to brace yourself.

bhellmer

If only this were true. Unfortunately you are mistaken.

Chuck Schmidt | goofyaboutdisney@aol.com has at least twice written about the 2009 renovations to WDW Space Mountain.

Iconic Space Mountain getting an overhaul (Apr 22, 2009), where he wrote:

"The renovation to WDW's first major thrill ride will include a new ceiling inside the dome, a new waiting area for space travelers and a new track throughout the ride, although the track layout will remain unchanged."

Space Mountain is ready to relaunch (Nov 13, 2009), where he wrote:

"Finally, the track has been replaced"

It appears as though this source may have been mistaken when he wrote "Finally, the track has been replaced" and I was mistaken quoting him.

Last edited:

Trackmaster

Chuck Schmidt | goofyaboutdisney@aol.com has at least twice written about the 2009 renovations to WDW Space Mountain.

"The renovation to WDW's first major thrill ride will include a new ceiling inside the dome, a new waiting area for space travelers and a new track throughout the ride, although the track layout will remain unchanged."

Anyways, as I was saying, I think its the design that's the problem, not necessarily the age of the track. They need to get somebody in who knows modern smoothing techniques and is able to make a design that is actually comfortable to ride. The current design is too jerky. A good designer ideally blends each element into the next. The antiquated way of doing it was to complete each element and transition before going to the next: which leads to discomfort and a bad ride for the guests.

NickMaio

When you compare Space Mountain to literally every other roller coaster not only at Disney but at Universal, it's very rough on your neck and back with the jerking. It's not smooth at all. I still love it but I can see and understand others views on this.
I used to enjoy it a little bit... but now honestly it feels like WDW is just being cheap. Not upgrading it and giving SM the attention it so "sorely" needs.
The last time we rode it it felt like a Carni ride. Complete with the wooden exit walk way - - - - it was under refurb at the time.

NickMaio

Anyways, as I was saying, I think its the design that's the problem, not necessarily the age of the track. They need to get somebody in who knows modern smoothing techniques and is able to make a design that is actually comfortable to ride. The current design is too jerky. A good designer ideally blends each element into the next. The antiquated way of doing it was to complete each element and transition before going to the next: which leads to discomfort and a bad ride for the guests.
You mean it actually GOT a new track?????????????????????????

Wow - - - -- what a waste of cash that was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trackmaster

You mean it actually GOT a new track?????????????????????????

Wow - - - -- what a waste of cash that was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it was Disney trying to save some money. They need to design a whole new course, but that will mean tearing down the entire structure. But yes, to me it makes no sense to keep rebuilding the same awful track design.

NickMaio

I think it was Disney trying to save some money. They need to design a whole new course, but that will mean tearing down the entire structure. But yes, to me it makes no sense to keep rebuilding the same awful track design.
It boggles my mind - - - -surely you could replace the track inside the building.

trainplane3

It didn't. Some turns were tweaked and smalls bumps were smoothed out, that's it. There's also a reason why it's trimmed to all hell and re-welded on a regular basis.
The paint marks in Orlando were the cut points from 2008 for when they were going to remove and replace the 1975 track and supports with an identical new one. They're still there today.

MacVenture

We have just returned from a week at WDW and I have to agree with the org post. The ride is very uncomfortable. My wife complained of a headache after our first ride and ended her day at the MK short due to the pain. I'm not implying the coaster alone caused her headache, however; it was a contributing factor. I'm not a fan of all the jerkiness on those hard seats. We have only ridden space mountain a few time but I am sure knowing the track (curves, drops, etc.) would've helped. The lack of seat space (i had a backpack stuffed under my left leg) is a concern.

NickMaio

It is in a sad state - - -sadly like many WDW rides;
Buzz - COP - Tiki - Imagination, ect......the list goes on.

Tons of cash for new lands and rides - - - but not enough for rides in desperate need of refurbs.
We used to go every Summer, sadly not anymore, we have voiced our concerns to WDW

NormC

They weren't replaced. Some pieces were modified but they did not do the replacement they had planned.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom