Space Mountain Finally Normal Again This Summer

D

Deleted member 107043

Rode Space Mountain on Saturday night and I can't stress this enough, get the front seat. In a day of hitting some great rides, it was probably my favorite experience.

I love classic Space Mountain at Disneyland. For me it's a not to be missed ride whenever I'm there.

And because I'm a nerd, I'm posting this here as a tribute to what might be my favorite Disneyland ride.

180º

Original Poster
The projections where there for a few years before Ghost Galaxy got put in. Then they disappeared. It wasn't always just disco lights.
I'm afraid you're mistaken. Any sort of dome effects beyond the 2nd lift wormhole (if they ever showed at all) didn't make it past Rockin' in 2006. Maybe you're thinking of Hong Kong?

Phroobar

I'm afraid you're mistaken. Any sort of dome effects beyond the 2nd lift wormhole (if they ever showed at all) didn't make it past Rockin' in 2006. Maybe you're thinking of Hong Kong?
They were definitely there maybe not pass Rockin' but I definitely remember them and it was a much better show. It was similar to Hong Kong which is just a copy of DLs version anyway. Too bad I can't find a youtube video that showed it.

mickEblu

I rode classic Space Mountain yesterday. It's weird. I couldn't wait for it to come back but it felt slower yesterday. I think I became accustomed to the energy that Hyperspace Mountain brings. There is a rumor floatin around that HSM is faster than classic SM. Any truth to that?

That reminds me. When it Comes to the more thrilling rides at DLR it's best to save rides like SM, GOTG and Screamin for later in the day if possible. Not sure what it was but riding RSR yesterday after GOTG made it feel slower than ever.

When I take family from out of town, Not only am I trying to maximize their day but I also keep in mind the sequence of rides so that each one can be enjoyed to its full extent. I also think variety is important. Throw in an FL dark ride or two with those E tickets.

Rich T

I rode classic Space Mountain yesterday. It's weird. I couldn't wait for it to come back but it felt slower yesterday. I think I became accustomed to the energy that Hyperspace Mountain brings. There is a rumor floatin around that HSM is faster than classic SM. Any truth to that?

That reminds me. When it Comes to the more thrilling rides at DLR it's best to save rides like SM, GOTG and Screamin for later in the day if possible. Not sure what it was but riding RSR yesterday after GOTG made it feel slower than ever.

When I take family from out of town, Not only am I trying to maximize their day but I also keep in mind the sequence of rides so that each one can be enjoyed to its full extent. I also think variety is important. Throw in an FL dark ride or two with those E tickets.
I'd try it again. The ride can be faster or slower depending on the combined weight of the passengers in your train, and whether or not you have to be slowed down at the block brakes if the train ahead is lighter than yours, right? I think the best-possible SM ride would be if you were in a really heavy train with *nothin* ahead of you (like being first into the ride after an e-stop with a complete return of all trains).

October82

There is a rumor floatin around that HSM is faster than classic SM. Any truth to that?

I'd try it again. The ride can be faster or slower depending on the combined weight of the passengers in your train, and whether or not you have to be slowed down at the block brakes if the train ahead is lighter than yours, right? I think the best-possible SM ride would be if you were in a really heavy train with *nothin* ahead of you (like being first into the ride after an e-stop with a complete return of all trains).

No, there's definitely no truth to that. The velocity of the ride is dictated by the engineering of the ride, and hence by physics. They are not changing the ride dynamics with an overlay.

The weight of the ride vehicle (and hence passengers) is not a direct contributor to the velocity of the vehicle, and actually works exactly the opposite of how it is described here.

Rich T

The weight of the ride vehicle (and hence passengers) is not a direct contributor to the velocity of the vehicle, and actually works exactly the opposite of how it is described here.
But they do weigh every vehicle just before the first lift, correct? And that data effects the use of the block brake sections on the track? And the weight does effect the momentum of the vehicle, right? And I'm probably assuming too much about Space Mtn, right? :D

October82

But they do weigh every vehicle just before the first lift, correct? And that data effects the use of the block brake sections on the track?

I am not certain to what degree the ride computers, and hence the brakes, depend on the weight of the vehicle. I suspect that it probably does not, but I am not a ride systems engineer.

And the weight does effect the momentum of the vehicle, right? And I'm probably assuming too much about Space Mtn, right? :D

Momentum does depend on the mass of the vehicle, which matters for the engineering of the ride, but again, only in a very indirect way for the velocity of the ride vehicle and the passenger's experience of that velocity.

Californian Elitist

But they do weigh every vehicle just before the first lift, correct? And that data effects the use of the block brake sections on the track? And the weight does effect the momentum of the vehicle, right? And I'm probably assuming too much about Space Mtn, right? :D

The more weight on Matterhorn, the faster it goes. Not sure about Space Mountain.

180º

Original Poster
I am not certain to what degree the ride computers, and hence the brakes, depend on the weight of the vehicle. I suspect that it probably does not, but I am not a ride systems engineer.
To my understanding, trim brakes are used to slow a coaster down to a certain speed. No matter how slow or fast each rocket goes into the trim brakes, it'll exit the brake run at that set speed. In the event of a cascade, a rocket can park in one of these brake sections.

Matterhorn and the WDW Space Mountain were designed without trim brakes. WDW added trim brakes to their Space Mountain in the last decade to reduce stress on the superstructure from faster rockets. Matterhorn doesn't and can't have trim brakes, but it does have "booster" wheels which were added back in the '70s when we got the old tandem Space Mountain sleds. Other than that, it's still a pure gravity ride.

Last edited:

October82

The more weight on Matterhorn, the faster it goes. Not sure about Space Mountain.

Weight shouldn't matter for the Matterhorn any more than it matters for Space Mountain. If it does matter, it will be the opposite - a "heavier" vehicle will complete the track more slower than a "lighter" one.

To my understanding, trim brakes are used to slow a coaster down to a certain speed. No matter how slow or fast each rocket goes into the trim brakes, it'll exit the brake run at that set speed. In the event of a cascade, a rocket can park in one of these brake sections.

Matterhorn and the WDW Space Mountain were designed without trim brakes. WDW added trim brakes to their Space Mountain in the last decade to reduce stress on the superstructure from faster rockets. Matterhorn doesn't and can't have trim brakes, but it does have "booster" wheels which were added back in the '70s when we got the old tandem Space Mountain sleds. Other than that, it's still a pure gravity ride.

Thanks for clarifying that!

Californian Elitist

Weight shouldn't matter for the Matterhorn any more than it matters for Space Mountain. If it does matter, it will be the opposite - a "heavier" vehicle will complete the track more slower than a "lighter" one.

Thanks for clarifying that!

It does though. After working in Fantasyland, I can tell you the more weight in the bobsled, the faster it goes. The ride is also faster at night because of all the traction throughout the day.

October82

It does though. After working in Fantasyland, I can tell you the more weight in the bobsled, the faster it goes. The ride is also faster at night because of all the traction throughout the day.

Did you work as an attractions CM? Was this something that was included in your training, or something that you had first hand knowledge of some other way? I'm not trying to dismiss what you're saying, but I'm extremely skeptical.

Although this is said often about a number of different roller coasters (not just the Matterhorn and Space Mountain), the physics of gravity operated rollercoasters just doesn't allow for heavier vehicles to have higher velocities. There might be more merit to the idea that they have small changes in the velocity of the ride vehicle at night, but I strongly suspect that this is more about human perception than the physics of the ride.

180º

Original Poster
Did you work as an attractions CM? Was this something that was included in your training, or something that you had first hand knowledge of some other way? I'm not trying to dismiss what you're saying, but I'm extremely skeptical.

Although this is said often about a number of different roller coasters (not just the Matterhorn and Space Mountain), the physics of gravity operated rollercoasters just doesn't allow for heavier vehicles to have higher velocities. There might be more merit to the idea that they have small changes in the velocity of the ride vehicle at night, but I strongly suspect that this is more about human perception than the physics of the ride.
Actually, @raven24 is right, heavier sleds go faster. What weight loses you against gravity it more than makes up for in acceleration and momentum.

:)

Californian Elitist

Yes, I worked in attractions. I never worked Matterhorn, but I did receive some training on the ride. We learned the more weight the bobsleds carry, the faster they go. We also learned that as the bobsleds continue to move and go throughout the day, the faster they go by nighttime. I tested the weight factor and Infound it to be true. Before the single bobsleds we have now, I had my sister ride in the same bobsled I was in. We then rode separately and they definitely went slower. The same thing happened during my grad nite some years ago. A bunch of us got on Matterhorn and that puppy was going so fast I thought I was going to fall out.

Something else to note, the right side of the ride has a longer track, but is slower than the left side, which has a shorter track but is faster.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom