Space Mountain Finally Normal Again This Summer

c-one

Mad mouse or not, I found the layout to be more dynamic and fun and the sensation of speed to be heightened compared with DL. (Haven't been to Europe.) In 100% agreement with @Kira Nerys that it was better before enclosing the station. I don't care if being able to look up and see/hear the zooming rockets was off-theme, it was cool as heck. And shout out to the weird psuedo-cable access shows that used to play in line! God that was a strange era.

Now the entire experience on the WDW one feels sterile and lifeless to me...but better that than endless overlays I guess.

JD2000

I wonder if someday they'll revisit the original dome projections and asteroid lighting that was planned and eventually abandoned for 2005.
Yes please. Space Mountain is in such poor condition. And none of the current theme is even cohesive. It really needs to be updated again.

Were those effects never turned on for the public? Did the asteroid lighting not cease some time after the reopening due to light bleed and the projections just burnt out and never got replaced?

D

Deleted member 107043

For me, the tunnels and outdoor queue are the worst and that's what needs the most work.

The outdoor queue was never much to crow about, but any ambiance it had was completely destroyed after they roofed over the old Space Stage amphitheater back in the 80s in order to install the Magic Eye Theater. This is what you used to see (if there was a show happening) while waiting in the second level outside portion of the queue:

14161537593_1996deec44_b.jpg

@Curious Constance look at all the people dancing!

mickEblu

The outdoor queue was never much to crow about, but any ambiance it had was completely destroyed after they roofed over the old Space Stage amphitheater back in the 80s in order to install the Magic Eye Theater. This is what you used to see (if there was a show happening) while waiting in the second level outside portion of the queue:

14161537593_1996deec44_b.jpg

@Curious Constance look at all the people dancing!

Looks much cooler. I feel like it wouldn't take much work to get the tunnels more interesting. They re very stale right now.

mickEblu

Didn't it? Here's the view from below as you entered looking down the center row of seats in the theater. In this shot it looks like there was a set up for some kind of stage show.

Wow, I just had a flashback of seeing The New Mickey Mouse Club perform here in the summer of 1978. :eek:

tomorrowland-stage.jpg

Hahah. So it was enclosed for Captain Eo right? Looks much more futuristic outdoors.

D

Deleted member 107043

No love for MJ?

I love MJ's music (don't even get me started on how much I adore his sister Janet), but the theater ruined the Space Mountain complex, apparently forever. On top of that even for 1986 Captain Eo was a laughably bad music video... err...film. I was at the opening weekend party (I wore my Eo tee with his rainbow emblem on it :rolleyes: and stood in a line that stretched from Space Mountain all the way to Town Square) and people snickered throughout the screening I saw, mostly whenever MJ would speak. Hahaha.

Last edited by a moderator:

George Lucas on a Bench

Mad mouse or not, I found the layout to be more dynamic and fun and the sensation of speed to be heightened compared with DL. (Haven't been to Europe.) In 100% agreement with @Kira Nerys that it was better before enclosing the station. I don't care if being able to look up and see/hear the zooming rockets was off-theme, it was cool as heck. And shout out to the weird psuedo-cable access shows that used to play in line! God that was a strange era.

Now the entire experience on the WDW one feels sterile and lifeless to me...but better that than endless overlays I guess.

The WDW version is definitely better for me. That being said, it's obviously not in the best shape these days, but it's still fun and it has the queue windows and music. The last big refurb they did was a big disappointment. It seemed like everyone was expecting them to rebuild the ride similar to DL's.

That being said, DL's is still fun as well. It seems like most people feel that while the experience of both is obviously similar, DL's is better because of the music and smoother ride. I don't agree. I like the music, and this is coming from someone who really doesn't like Michael Giacchino. I like the smoother ride. But these things don't improve the experience for me. I prefer Space Mountain with only the sounds of the rockets coasting along the track and people screaming. I prefer the unpredictability of the WDW version.

At DL, you're just gliding around in circles and there's only one little drop towards the end (which they put a billboard of a TIE Fighter above for the Star Wars version). Don't get me wrong, if you ride at the end of the night, it's pretty thrilling. But WDW's is kind of scary. Also, the queue at WDW, video games and enclosed ceiling or not, is way cooler than the DL version. Those bizarre 3D windows into space are one of the most memorable images in my brain from going to Disney. Same goes for looking up from the switchbacks and being able to faintly see the ride and the space projections on the ceiling. Yeah, I kinda liked the FedEx TV ads too.

mickEblu

I love MJ's music (don't even get me started on how much I adore his sister Janet), but the theater ruined the Space Mountain complex, apparently forever. On top of that even for 1986 Captain Eo was a laughably bad music video... err...film. I was at the opening weekend party (I wore my Eo tee with his rainbow emblem on it :rolleyes: and stood in a line that stretched from Space Mountain all the way to Town Square) and people snickered throughout the screening I saw, mostly whenever MJ would speak. Hahaha.

Hahah I'm a big Eo fan. I think I was just the right age (around 6 or so) when I first saw it so I was young and impressionable enough that to me it's classic now. When I took my younger 15 year old cousins to see it when it came back in 2010 they thought it was the cheesiest thing ever. But for me it's MJ+ nostalgic DL memories + the 80s. Which is just a great combo.

And of course then there is this bad @$$ villain... "youuu think meee BEAUTIFULLLL!"

Anyway, sure beats the 24/7 Star Wars trailer (that has been updated in 2 years) that's in there now.

IMG_7127.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom