Space Mountain Finally Normal Again This Summer

mickEblu

Did they ever sell Captain Eo on blu Ray or DVD? I see copies for sale on eBay but they look bootleg.

Last edited:

mickEblu

These are still maybe my all time favorite souvenirs from DL.

IMG_7128.jpg

George Lucas on a Bench

There was a generational gap with Captain EO. You had the people who were around for its original run at the height of MJ mania (the replacement of Captain EO with Honey, I Shrunk the Audience at EPCOT '94 was the first time I ever became disenchanted with the Disney company) and you had the next generation who regarded him as a weirdo. There were obviously variations on these types of people, but there was a combination of cheering and laughter during a packed screening of Captain EO. The younger people didn't get it. Most people over 20 did.

D

Deleted member 107043

There was a generational gap with Captain EO. You had the people who were around for its original run at the height of MJ mania (the replacement of Captain EO with Honey, I Shrunk the Audience at EPCOT '94 was the first time I ever became disenchanted with the Disney company) and you had the next generation who regarded him as a weirdo. There were obviously variations on these types of people, but there was a combination of cheering and laughter during a packed screening of Captain EO. The younger people didn't get it. Most people over 20 did.

I think you may be giving it too much credit. EO was one of Eisner's first theme park projects after he joined Disney, and part of his long term strategy to modernize DL's offerings to appear hip and cool to locals. It's undeniable that MJ was a polarizing figure, but Captain Eo was a product of the era... a glorified extended format MTV music video in 3D.

c-one

Captain EO is the best 3D film Disney ever did by a mile. Great music, fun story and characters, and no gratuitous effects. Replacing that classic with HISTA was the beginning of the end for the standalone 3D attractions at Disney parks, though I suppose the ongoing spread of 3D in regular theaters has hastened that demise too.

c-one

I didn't mean no effects at all -- but they were much less the cheap 3D trick/jump scare kind when compared with HISTA or the godforsaken Bugs Life attraction. Captain EO was more....tasteful.

dweezil78

Captain EO is the best 3D film Disney ever did by a mile. Great music, fun story and characters, and no gratuitous effects. Replacing that classic with HISTA was the beginning of the end for the standalone 3D attractions at Disney parks, though I suppose the ongoing spread of 3D in regular theaters has hastened that demise too.

I'll always be partial to Magic Journeys as I thought it made much better use of the format and had an awesome song from the Sherman Brothers. That may be more of WDW thing as it lived a longer life over there with a second run in the MK.

Captain EO was no doubt a big deal -- especially during it's initial run in the 80s -- but IMO rarely ever took advantage of the 3D in the same way.

Phroobar

Space Mountain was a lot better when all the original 2005 projections were working. Now all you get is the swirling galaxy at the top of the lift hill. Why can't they get those effects working again since Ghost Galaxy and Hyperspace Mountain both use those projectors. How hard is it to turn on those projectors during regular Space Mountain with the asteroids and other things flying by? Maybe they could add an alien spaceship?

180º

Original Poster
Space Mountain was a lot better when all the original 2005 projections were working. Now all you get is the swirling galaxy at the top of the lift hill. Why can't they get those effects working again since Ghost Galaxy and Hyperspace Mountain both use those projectors. How hard is it to turn on those projectors during regular Space Mountain with the asteroids and other things flying by? Maybe they could add an alien spaceship?
I'm not sure those were ever turned on for the public or even fully installed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom