Space Mountain Exterior Refurbishment

Maeryk

A little weird to think that it was nearly 10 years ago that they had planned a full refurbishment with track replacement and then just skipped the track part.

It's a pretty rough coaster and I haven't been on it in about 3 years so I'm guessing it's even worse.

Rode back seat in Feb.. didn't feel track roughness, though our train had at least one wheel with at least one flat spot on it. Most of it was just snappy. I remember more float and less jerk on that ride.

Monorail_Orange

A little weird to think that it was nearly 10 years ago that they had planned a full refurbishment with track replacement and then just skipped the track part.

It's a pretty rough coaster and I haven't been on it in about 3 years so I'm guessing it's even worse.
I just rode at the end of June; honestly, it's one of my favorite coasters, so I'm biased. I will agree that our Space Mountain is not the smoothest coaster, but it's nothing like many of the wooden coasters I've ridden. I was actually a little surprised during the first half or so of the run, because it felt like we were moving along much quicker than normal. My suspicions were confirmed when we reached the infamous trim brake just before the longest drop, and it really grabbed our train and slowed us significantly. Typically, I've found that you don't always notice that trim brake unless you know when it's coming and are actually feeling for it. I say this because it makes me wonder if there will be additional trim brakes installed to relieve stress on the structure from other overspeeds. I also want to add that I know eventually there will have to be a full track replacement, I just hope that when that happens, the dual-tracks and the layout will remain unchanged; but we'll get on-board audio. I wonder if the spire work has anything to do with exterior upgrades starting to make SM blend better with TRON?

djdan888

Over speeds? Doesn't it only top out at a whopping 27 MPH to begin with? Tron is going to put this poor ride to shame. Maybe they trim it more and market it as another family coaster.

Maeryk

Over speeds? Doesn't it only top out at a whopping 27 MPH to begin with? Tron is going to put this poor ride to shame. Maybe they trim it more and market it as another family coaster.

Yup, and the biggest drop is like, 26 feet. For all the raving about SM, it's a wild mouse in the dark. If you actually see the track, it's a very tame coaster. (Had the lights come up riding it once.. aside from the insane number of head choppers that become apparent, it's basically a kiddie coaster when you can see it).

djdan888

Yup, and the biggest drop is like, 26 feet. For all the raving about SM, it's a wild mouse in the dark. If you actually see the track, it's a very tame coaster. (Had the lights come up riding it once.. aside from the insane number of head choppers that become apparent, it's basically a kiddie coaster when you can see it).
I do admit that the theming and darkness put it over the top. Pure genius turned that run of the mill mouse into Space Mountain,especially the non trimmed version we all loved back in the 70s and 80s.

Maeryk

If SM were under construction today, the hype after seeing nothing but that big dome would be unreal, as would be the huge disappointment after experiencing the relatively tame coaster inside.

The dome went on after the ride was built. Somewhere I have pictures of the dome panels being hoisted up by crane, during my first visit, and the track was assembled inside. The built the support pylons first, then the flat "roof" to the actual ride, then the track, then the skin and roof dome part.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom