News Space Mountain exit being worked on

Club Cooloholic

What happens when it doesn’t work?

This would be my next response is the change was for an anticipated replacement to the dinosaur moving ramp it has in place. I would reference the braking one next door and you will then reply how do I know this?

The fact is, I don’t know this. Disney just likes to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars for zero upside or reason so people like you on this board can complain about it.
To steal from one of my favorite comedians...Escalators are great because they never break, they just become stairs
I guess a moving walkway just becomes a walkway.

Casper Gutman

The lack of moving walkway is sad, but a minor thing. And one that has some potential upsides for being more accessible.

The new room is bland and boring, but it is way less tacky and theme breaking than the camera room with the green screen wall.

Overall, this change has some positives and some negatives. It works out to be roughly a lateral move. I'll miss the speed ramp, but I'm happy to see the tacky camera room go.
On the whole, I tend to think people complaining that something at WDW is “tacky” are missing the point of the place.

It is usually hyperbole to say this, but the new exit really is Six Flags quality.

WDWDad2907

Let's be honest - the ramp that was there was a disaster. While the new layout might be more utilitarian/cheaper, its only a disappointment in the context of what people could conceive a completely modernized ramp exit to be. I don't know what that costs, but can imagine its a lot more than what they ultimately went with. There are numerous areas of the park (including recent years) where no expenses have been spared in developing an amazing queue/exit experience. Perhaps they just didn't feel this upgrade was worth the cost outlay relative to the alternative. IMHO, until the ride experience is completely overhauled and updated the queuing isn't entirely worthy of an expensive fix at this point. I think too often many people measure changes introduced to the parks against "what could have been" as opposed to "what was previously there". When in reality perhaps "what could have been" wasn't all that practical, or necessary. I'll step down from my soap box now :)

Last edited:

celluloid

If someone is on your ignore list, they can't belittle you.

Well, they technically can, but if you don't see it, have you truly been belittled?

It's like cursing at someone in a language they don't understand... it might make you feel better, but it doesn't really get your point across to your target.

This is true, but I would rather have a conversation with more people, and address the concern, than just ignore someone. I think all have made very valid points.

CoasterSnoop

Is there a much longer exit at the Orlando parks than SM? I only remember feeling a burn in my legs walking through that exit, personally.

The exit/ramp was due for change, but the lack of a moving walkway is a pretty bad downgrade considering the walk. It's not a bad walk on its own, but you already walk/stand enough in one day at Disney, why increase that? I know why, the question's rhetorical.

I don't understand why some are treating the exit much different from the queue. Sure, the queue has a more important job of transporting you into a setting, but you're still not out of the attraction when you're in an exit, particularly in an exit this long. It's still a part of Space Mountain, and the Disney standard (as well as common sense) wills that it should look and feel like Space Mountain. Seeing the atmosphere dulled into an ugly plain white hallway with bright lights reminiscent of a present-day airport (rather than a spaceport of the future) is a downgrade and it looks cheap, I don't care how much it cost. Some exits are supposed to be "here's a lot of nothing, get out" but when yours is dragged out like Space Mountain's is, that shouldn't cut it. Unfortunately it apparently does.

Missing20K

What do you think rolling backwards down a slope too high, or the cost of exertion for getting up the slope is? Clearly, you are not thinking.

He meant Life Safety as in fire code. How long is the travel distance between exits, how many occupants per square foot based on usage, etc.

I apologize if I came off harsh but this hole thread complaining about an improvement Disney is the epitome of first world problems.

FTFY ;)

fngoofy

Happens.

I’ve just finished my new Canada edit. For the forth time.

When are we getting some WDW Resort Histories?
Also, I watch your HM 1:01:22 hour as I go to bed 2-3 times a week. I'd love to see more like that, the in-depth style is unique and very cool.

Last edited by a moderator:

mergatroid

At least it might mean I'm less likely to be knocked over by people running to overtake me because they couldn't wait, that's happened to me twice.

Disone

I will miss the moving walkway. It's still moved most of the time and I personally enjoyed that feature. However I think it's worth pointing out that you do walk to the load station. I'm sure we can discuss the logistics as to why there was never a moving walkway taking you inbound. Still doesn't change the fact that it's the same distance. I will also not miss being stuck behind a group that refuses to make room for you to pass on the moving walkway. That was a thing. I will also not miss that last green tacky room. So many lost opportunities with that room.

This has a neutral net effect for me. It's not a plus it's not a minus. I'm genuinely surprised at how controversial it is.

MagicRat

He meant Life Safety as in fire code. How long is the travel distance between exits, how many occupants per square foot based on usage, etc.

FTFY ;)

Would you really like me to go get the book or ask an inspector? My company is in four different districts right now.

mergatroid

Actually probably more likely...they didn't seem to make it any wider...

?

It's the only queue in Disney where I've seen problems. As it was moving and some people would want to stand and be moved whilst others wanted to walk (or run) on it, it meant many people 'overtaking'. Twice I've literally been barged over by kids running into me whilst not looking when overtaking me.

I am however guessing this has nothing to do behind the reasoning for Disney removing the moving walkway and is more to do with saving $$$$$, but I do prefer it.

MagicRat

On the whole, I tend to think people complaining that something at WDW is “tacky” are missing the point of the place.

It is usually hyperbole to say this, but the new exit really is Six Flags quality.

I thought the same thing but be careful, then the whole comparison of price per place conversation will start.

I just need to learn, that when I come on here that Disney is bad. The funny thing from reading this board is most of the complainers haven’t been in years.

Same thing I see on the Springsteen boards. “His new stuff sucks...When is he going to do something original again...He is rich and has sold out.” We’ll have you been to a show or listened to the newer records? “No, I haven’t been to a show since the 80’s, no I just like my older music.”

Same mentality different venue.

Scuttle

No nod to RCAs Home of Future Living?!? Boooooooo

This is only an improvement because the moving walkway exit was a disaster even when working.

Big time missed opportunity at some still sets that would have costed TDO next to nothing and been a huge fan pleaser.

cheezbat

Lots more walking. The video area with the green screen effect near the end of the ramp is gone, and now there’s more winding ramps into the gift shop.

I hate the new exit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom