Space Mountain discussion

the-reason14

Original Poster
So I am currently in the process of watching this video.

And it just has me wondering, what went wrong during the "big" 2009 refurbishment? Obviously there were budget cuts, but for what was changed it seemed like it didn't need to be closed for as long as it did. Space mt. is my favorite ride, however I can even admit that it needs to be brought into this century. I highly doubt Disney would close it again for a lengthy and deserving refurbishment, but it is basically the exact same ride it was when it opened. Well at least the same ride as it was when I first rode it circa 1998 ish. Reading about the proposed list of upgrades and seeing what we got, is just a damn shame. Disney World makes so much money off it's guests, and they can't properly maintain and refurbish its rides?

So I guess the purpose of this is just to hear what the beautiful and often times rational minds of the wdwmagic community think about this classic attraction. I know a lot of people prefer the Disneyland version, and I get it! I didn't at first, but after riding it many times I get it, although I still prefer the WDW version. But what do you think could improve it? A complete overhaul, or simply going back in and adding these enhancements that were at one time apart of the "big" 09 refurbishment? What needs to be done to make space mt. the top space mt. in the world. Ready? Set! Discuss!!

FigmentForver96

So I am currently in the process of watching this video.

And it just has me wondering, what went wrong during the "big" 2009 refurbishment? Obviously there were budget cuts, but for what was changed it seemed like it didn't need to be closed for as long as it did. Space mt. is my favorite ride, however I can even admit that it needs to be brought into this century. I highly doubt Disney would close it again for a lengthy and deserving refurbishment, but it is basically the exact same ride it was when it opened. Well at least the same ride as it was when I first rode it circa 1998 ish. Reading about the proposed list of upgrades and seeing what we got, is just a damn shame. Disney World makes so much money off it's guests, and they can't properly maintain and refurbish its rides?

So I guess the purpose of this is just to hear what the beautiful and often times rational minds of the wdwmagic community think about this classic attraction. I know a lot of people prefer the Disneyland version, and I get it! I didn't at first, but after riding it many times I get it, although I still prefer the WDW version. But what do you think could improve it? A complete overhaul, or simply going back in and adding these enhancements that were at one time apart of the "big" 09 refurbishment? What needs to be done to make space mt. the top space mt. in the world. Ready? Set! Discuss!!

There was some much planned for the ride that was cut for no other reason then to save a buck. New trains, onboard audio, smooth rides, new effects and more. I still love the ride but eventually trim breaks are not going to be enough, and the longer they wait now the worse it will be down the road.

the-reason14

Original Poster
I've heard that argument too. That it's current condition is not safe, and it will continue to get worse. So basically they will have to bring it back down for refurbishment out of necessity whether they like it or not. They might as well do it sooner rather then later.

PhilharMagician

There was some much planned for the ride that was cut for no other reason then to save a buck. New trains, onboard audio, smooth rides, new effects and more. I still love the ride but eventually trim breaks are not going to be enough, and the longer they wait now the worse it will be down the road.

The new trains with onboard audio from my understanding would have required all new track and support structure because of the additional weight. This would have required a much more lengthy refurb. DL's version did not require beefier track and support to add the on board audio.

In WDW portions of the worn track and rusty support structure were replaced as well as adding "general" ride audio, slightly better projections and reduced light pollution as well as a lot of other needed repairs.

IMHO I like the jerky reactions of WDW's Space Mountain.

MississippiBelle

Space Mountain was my first roller coaster ever. I like the jerky movements and the retro theme and music. I like the ear splitting clacks as you go up the main lift. It brings me right back to my first ride. All a matter of opinion, I suppose. If there was something about the ride system that was unsafe in some way, then obviously that needs to be addressed. I wouldn't say no to a newer, smoother ride but I like the old one they way it is!

Jahona

If I remember right from @marni1971, during the 2009 refurb there were parts of the frame that were marked for replacement that never happened. These were points that showed age. The image below is one that comes up in these threads. The yellow marks are were the frame was supposed to be replaced.

maxresdefault.jpg

hayzer11

Energy, you make the world go round!
Honestly, like that it feels retro (is retro technically), but I think it can keep it's retro feel while updating the track and making new vehicles (same seating configuration) but adding on-board audio (De Terre a la Lune? I once timed it perfectly on my old ipod, it was magical). I really liked the glow in the dark sides to the cars and being able to see it from the queue, but I don't see any sense in tearing the ceiling they just built down. I think they should keep the "lightspeed tunnel" the same as the 2009 rehab. Keep the queue music, which is actually my favorite in all the magic kingdom.

graphite1326

I have always liked the ride. Glad they got rid of the cookies though. However, I'm getting older now and the ruff ride gets to me. I don't know how many more years I can ride it.

FigmentForver96

The new trains with onboard audio from my understanding would have required all new track and support structure because of the additional weight. This would have required a much more lengthy refurb. DL's version did not require beefier track and support to add the on board audio.

In WDW portions of the worn track and rusty support structure were replaced as well as adding "general" ride audio, slightly better projections and reduced light pollution as well as a lot of other needed repairs.

If it takes more work to do it right then so be it. There was track that needed replacing and onboard audio and smoother trains would have made the ride better. I don't applaud them cheaping out and leaving things "as is". I like the roughness but I also want a properly maintained ride that is updated

lazyboy97o

DL's version did not require beefier track and support to add the on board audio.
Yes it did. The ride had to be closed for replacement earlier than planned.

I doubt that Space Mountain is anywhere close to "unsafe" despite any of its issues.
Depends on how you view it. Disney knew the Disneyland track wasn't holding up and would fail, but still kept the ride running until the track fractured.

the-reason14

Original Poster
If it takes more work to do it right then so be it. There was track that needed replacing and onboard audio and smoother trains would have made the ride better. I don't applaud them cheaping out and leaving things "as is". I like the roughness but I also want a properly maintained ride that is updated

I agree with this. I just feel like the little they did with the 2009 refurb was so minor that it could have been done in a shorter time frame. They should have really took the time to make it better. It's generally the same ride with just a few subtle changes like a different paint scheme and slightly darker with cheesy off board audio. Not enough has changed to bring it into this century, and just enough has changed to where it's not the same ride I rode back in 1997 ish. It's still space mt. it's still classic, but it just needs more.

If they could replace the track and make it stronger so they can add onboard audio with a unique soundtrack,, and make it smoother while somehow making it faster. Maybe enclose a few parts of the track so they can add newer effects here and there. I think that would be a worthy refurbishment.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
DL required a whole new track and support system. It got it in 2003-5 after it suddenly closed overnight with no notice.

If I remember right from @marni1971, during the 2009 refurb there were parts of the frame that were marked for replacement that never happened. These were points that showed age. The image below is one that comes up in these threads. The yellow marks are were the frame was supposed to be replaced.
The paint marks in Orlando were the cut points from 2008 for when they were going to remove and replace the 1975 track and supports with an identical new one. They're still there today.

DManRightHere

Go ride Matterhorn, and most upside down coasters that are over 10 years old. Those are rough rides!!

I really like space mountain the way it is, as long as it is safe! I do miss the giant cookies, more light during the ride, and being able to see the other trains,

If they ever get new trains, it is doubtful they will use the same seating configurations. People basically having to sit on the floor and you can touch walls during the ride. It just wouldn't be the same without those aspects.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom