Space Mountain debate

kybred72

Original Poster
Could someone please settle a friendly debate I'm having with my dear hubby :p about the seating/ride arrangements on Space Mountain. He thinks each person sits alone in their own rocket and I say that's the case if you're a single rider but if you're in a party of two, someone sits between your legs in the same rocket.

Who's right? :shrug:

P.S. 9 more days to go!!!!! :sohappy:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Each rocket has 3 distinctive seats. While it does occasionally happen, about the only time you will see one go out with only one person is when the ride is a walk on.

space-mountain-17.jpg

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
There was a time in the distant past (70-80's) where the cars were configured in a way that you did actually sit between another guests legs but they have been gone for quite a while.

Scuttle

Could someone please settle a friendly debate I'm having with my dear hubby :p about the seating/ride arrangements on Space Mountain. He thinks each person sits alone in their own rocket and I say that's the case if you're a single rider but if you're in a party of two, someone sits between your legs in the same rocket.

Who's right? :shrug:

P.S. 9 more days to go!!!!! :sohappy:

Wow it's been a while since you two have been. I can see your memories are clouded. Have a great trip. WDW is the best after a long time away from it.

Scuttle

Isn't that also how the Matterhorn's seating is out in Disneyland? And their Splash Mountain?

Not sure about Splash, but I know Matterhorn just replaced the bobsleds to have individual seating like WDW's Space Mountain. Correction I just heard today that it is not happening until next years refurb. This years refurb was to test out the new bobsleds apparently.

Rob562

There was a time in the distant past (70-80's) where the cars were configured in a way that you did actually sit between another guests legs but they have been gone for quite a while.

And even back then, they wouldn't put two Guests who didn't know each other in a seat together. So even though the rockets could hold up to 8 riders, they often were leaving with 4-6 people. That's why they redesigned the seating, to reliably allow 6 guests per rocket.

-Rob

graphite1326

wasn't it just a bench you sat on and strattled it. Or am I thinking of a different ride?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
wasn't it just a bench you sat on and strattled it. Or am I thinking of a different ride?
I honestly do not remember. I only rode it once in that configuration and I was only about 14 at the time. At the time I was much more concerned about being decapitated by a low hanging beam.:lol:

The two things I do remember are using a fabric seat belt, much like the one in astro orbiter, and holding on to the small handles that were recessed into the side of the car.

Hi there. Space Montain Rider Cars are situated that there are 1 seat for each person. Each person rides behind the other 3 seats per each car, each seat is seperated by the seat behind or the seat in front person. You sit by yourself. That is how it is at Walt Disney World Florida, the other parks may have different type seats. :) Hope this helps out. You can also take a look at space mountain seating I may have a picture from it on my last photo album here on the site. :)
Take care :wave:

fosse76

Not sure about Splash, but I know Matterhorn just replaced the bobsleds to have individual seating like WDW's Space Mountain. Correction I just heard today that it is not happening until next years refurb. This years refurb was to test out the new bobsleds apparently.

They seem to be moving slow with that change. I was there in April of 2010 and they had a test "sled" on the track that was individual seating.

Bigart

The cars used to be tandem seating, in which each car had two seats. One person would get in and attach a lap belt, and then another person would get in and sit between the other's legs. There were steel hand holds recessed into the inside surface of the car for each rider. The rear rider's hand holds were vertical, and the front rider's were horizontal. Each train could hold a maximum of 8 riders; 4 per car, 2 cars per train. Sometime in the early 90's the cars were changed to 3 riders per car, each with their own seat, and a lap bar instead of old style seat belts. Each train now only holds 6 riders total. There are no hand holds, so you just kind of rest your arms on the side or grab the lap bar. After the 2009 refurb, the red nose cones were changed to grey, and the seats had added padding. The old tandem seats were cool, as there was much more leg room for the rear rider. You could extend your legs out straight along the inside shell of the car and plant your feet to brace yourself. But sometimes your head could bump into your tandem partner's head during the ride.

So basically you are both correct, except the old style hasn't been used since the 90's. Once in a while you can find photos of the old style seats on the net. The waiting area underwent a lot of changes in 2009, and the loading procedure was adjusted, with new markings on the floor and swinging loading gates. There weren't gates before and you could literally stand on the edge of the platform.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
A better view of the original seating:

Attachments

• 001 - Space Mountain exterior - duskcrop.jpg
    001 - Space Mountain exterior - duskcrop.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 139

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom