Space Mountain DARKER??

Jose Eber

Diddo.^

If they retracked it -- and made it more safe (i.e. better clearances) I would be so happy.

I love that ride!

Just don't change the layout! Please!!!

J.

DarkMeasures

SammuelGuthrie said:
I rode SM twice this week and am convinced that it is darker than before (before my last ride on it a couple of months ago). Has anyone else ridden it recently and noticed it also? Maybe I just have night-blindness...:dazzle:

Since I didn't see anybody mention this. Space Mountain's darkness is relative to the time of the day and the line's wait lenghth.

If you hadn't had time for your eyes to adjust properly and it is light outside, the ride will appear as very very dark.

But if say it is night and there is an hour wait, you will be able to see very vividly inside the building.

There are ways though for Space Mountain to be made darker. Methods have both been used at Disneyland and Paris.

Disneyland, Everywall and thing was painted black and the areas you can view the ride were blocked off.

Disneyland Paris, the walls were painted black, the viewing area was closed, and finally the starfield was added.

Now, WDW has solid concrete unpainted walls. Heck, the track is green. There are many easy methods to darken the ride.

And now the refurbishment issue. Stop Weining peoples. It will eventually come but right now it is now. Just drop the issue because I am ****ing tired of the debate.

tirian

I've noticed that it always seems darker during the day, and figured it was because of sun-blindness.

Yes, as a moderately tall person, SM scares the crap out of me, too.

The most frightening ride I ever took on SM was absolutely alone. I'm a thin person, and I sat toward the back. The cart rattled like it was going to derail and my teeth chattered all the way down. I loved every minute of it.

imagineerfan

Slightly off topic, does SM at WDW play a different soundtrack during the day than at night? I noticed on my DL soundrack there is a daytime and nightime soundtrack to SM.

Dan

MissM

While there certainly is a eye adjust factor from the sun during the day, I can tell you that it is actually brighter at night. I ride the TTA multiple times every time I visit MK over the course of the day and night. There are more lights turned on at night. If you pay close attention to where the lights are in the building, you'll see there are more on at night then during the day. For example, the Space Mountain sign has more illumination on it and as you come past the sign and approach the beginning of the glass, there are large, industrial-looking flood lights that are on in the evening that are not on during the day.

You can always see the track better at night because of some of this extra illumination.
-m

GenerationX

Has the WDW SM ever been darker? Back in 1983, I rode SM at both WDW and DLR. I didn't ride either one again for 18 years. Upon riding the WDW version in 2001, it struck me that it seemed lighter than I had remembered. Either:
  • A. The WDW SM has gotten lighter throughout the years
  • B. The WDW SM has stayed the same, but has always been lighter than the DLR version and that's the one I'm remembering
  • C. I'm crazy.
Which is it?

Lee

Adventurer
tirian said:
SM at WDW doesn't have a soundtrack.

Believe it or not, that makes it a little more thrilling.

Couldn't disagree more. DL's Space Mountain is FAR superior to WDW's, and the great new soundtrack is one reason.

I find nothing thrilling about WDW's SM...it's just...I guess annoying is what I'm trying to say. My wife laughs because I take the trouble to ride it about once a month and then saying "Yep. Still bad." :lol:

As far as light levels go, to my knowledge they are the same as they have been since opening. Except of course when there were TVs in the queue. That made a difference.

SoccerMickey

Walt Disney World's Space Mountain IS definitely indeed darker than it was before. The reason is the same reason why Main Street is darker as well. Disney has reduced its light bulb budget. :lol:

I rode SM 6 times this past week and noticed that it really depends on whether your eyes are adjusted or not. Sometimes it seemed pitch black (i.e. if I had come in from daylight) and at night you could def. see the track.

Also, I noticed that if you choose the left line, then that track is a lot smoother than the one on the right. Has anyone else noticed this??

Frumpy

I always wear my sunglasses on SM.....As Schultz would say I see nooothing!

2 advil are a must before getting on though:lookaroun

I loooove Space Mountain. It's easy to complain about (the track, the lighting), but you have to remember that it's old. Imagine what it was like when it was new, when there was nothing else like it. We didn't have the Kingda Ka's and Milennium Force's to compare it to.

My best friend, Derek, is 6'5''. It is crazyyyy to go on with him, because the whole time I am just scared to death that he's going to lose his head! :lookaroun

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
I have nothing to say on the Space mt issue, but Legacy's avatar is politically motivated! :D Yes micheal moore does look like the Yeti

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
warlord said:
I have nothing to say on the Space mt issue, but Legacy's avatar is politically motivated! :D Yes micheal moore does look like the Yeti
Evidently its OK as long as its in your avitar or signature, but once you make a post of a political nature, thread goes on lockdown...

jedimaster1227

SammuelGuthrie said:
I rode SM twice this week and am convinced that it is darker than before (before my last ride on it a couple of months ago). Has anyone else ridden it recently and noticed it also? Maybe I just have night-blindness...:dazzle:

I have to disagree, I rode it only last Friday and I could see every turn, twist and drop that was coming. The inside was not so dark. SM needs a Disneyland style rehab fast!

Heatherbell

this thread is funny because we were in Disney the last week of January and I wondered the same thing. We went on a few times in the day and a few times at night and I thought it was darker in there too. It seemed like there weren't as many stars or something. I thought it was my imagination.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom