Space Mountain closing intermittently in September

disney fan 13

Yeah, the refurb demanded by old men with soar backs that can't take a thrilling roller coaster and want the track replaced with something akin to Space Ship Earth.

Trust me bro, it's not Woodie bad, but it's pretty bad for a steel coaster that only hits 28 MPH. Plus with all the antiquated effects and such would make a complete overhaul needed.

Trust me bro, it's not Woodie bad, but it's pretty bad for a steel coaster that only hits 28 MPH. Plus with all the antiquated effects and such would make a complete overhaul needed.

I've ridden it recently. It's fine. It doesn't need to be wussified for people with arthritis that think every thing at Disney Land is superior because they hold a grudge against TDO.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Yeah, the refurb demanded by old men with soar backs that can't take a thrilling roller coaster and want the track replaced with something akin to Space Ship Earth.

No, not at all. The ride is WAAAAY too rough...it was never intended to be that rough, and its due to age and never having a proper refub/replacement of the track.

Dragonrider1227

I never knew the bumpiness of the ride was a problem. I thought it was supposed to be. :/
I hope it never becomes like Paris'. Even when it was at it's best. Then I can't ride it anymore because I don't like the idea of the sudden launch or going upside down. It's why I always skip Rockin' Roller coaster.

MarkTwain

They definitely added the brakes before the last drop. I can confirm that 100%. I rode both Alpha and Omega sides 5 times each this weekend, and the brakes were there all 10 times. It WAS very noticeable, and a huge let down. It also ruins the effect at the end, the hard banking turns with the sound effect. The first two times I thought it might have been an accident, or rather, our car might have been too close to the one in front. But yesterday morning when there was literally NO ONE in the park, the brakes were still there. Disappointing to say the least. What safety precaution could there be with this? Any ideas?

On a good note, I noticed the music and sound effects were pretty darn loud every time I rode Sat-Sunday.

Confirmed. I've ridden the Alpha twice and Omega once in the past few days, and noticed that the ride slowed down in some strange places, including before the largest drop. The end was definitely slower too. It didn't occur to me it might be intentional.

Sped2424

Im confused, do you know what the refurb was going to do? It wasn't going to tame the experience, it was supposed to enhance it. If I recall it was to upgrade everything inside, from show effects to the track but last minute they hashed the budget, and made an interactive que. Lastly If don't think backs can "soar" unless they have wings. :D

Sped2424

I've ridden it recently. It's fine. It doesn't need to be wussified for people with arthritis that think every thing at Disney Land is superior because they hold a grudge against TDO.
Once again you don't know what you are talking about, the old refurb would have updated the ride not tamed it. And disneylands version is only superior for me due to the fact they get ghost galaxy, something we could have gotten had they updated space mountain the way it was supposed to.

Sped2424

Also to be fair, I love the ride, I am a young guy who happens to be 20 so rides like that don't hurt my back. But I can understand how that experience could hurt someone with a sensitive back. From what I have heard Matterhorn is more or less the same amount of jerkiness as Space mountain. Same vehicle type too. I think that has more to do with it than the track's age itself (As far as the rough nature goes). Even so them adding trim brakes to the ride isn't going to help the track anymore than buy it some more time before this thing goes down for a while. However I think its the ride vehicle that makes space mountain so thrilling, sometimes you literally feel like you are going to fly out of your seat.

Kman101

I'm far from having arthritis and the ride was ROUGH. I had no desire to ride it again and before it was one of my favorites so stop touting that as a fact.

Why do posters insist on posting statements as facts. You're also generalizing everyone.

Kman101

Also to be fair, I love the ride, I am a young guy who happens to be 20 so rides like that don't hurt my back. But I can understand how that experience could hurt someone with a sensitive back. From what I have heard Matterhorn is more or less the same amount of jerkiness as Space mountain. Same vehicle type too. I think that has more to do with it than the track's age itself (As far as the rough nature goes). Even so them adding trim brakes to the ride isn't going to help the track anymore than buy it some more time before this thing goes down for a while. However I think its the ride vehicle that makes space mountain so thrilling, sometimes you literally feel like you are going to fly out of your seat.

Yeah. I feel that way on most Disney coasters. I feel like I'm about to fly out of the seats. I feel that way on BTM, SPACE Mountain ... I remember feeling pretty 'in' on the Matterhorn when I finally got to ride it back in 2008 but that was also rough but I felt the roughness added to it's charm, in a way.

muteki

After riding both the DL and WDW version of SM, I can certainly say they are very different experiences. It may be hometown bias but I still prefer WDW's. I enjoy how rough it is, the turns and drops that come out of nowhere, the bobsled style seating. DL has a great thing going with the on car audio and the projections, but to me the ride itself is lacking. I like our queue/overall themeing better too.

That's a bit of a disappointment if they started adding brakes everywhere. I can't stand brakes in the middle of roller coasters in general. Change the layout so you don't need them. If/when WDW's space mountain ever gets a true refurb, I hope they retain the original layout as much as possible. Or at least the feel of it.

dhsaddict83

I know I'm going to get bashed and flamed for this, but I feel the need to toss in my 2 cents...

After going on Space Mountain this past weekend for the first time since their most recent "refurb," I must say that I'm greatly disappointed in Disney for the addition of the brakes.
The 2 hills following the intersection of opposite moving trains are IMO the best drops on Space Mountain (especially the last hill), and for months/years there were no brakes at that point in the ride, and the ride has been 100% safe without the brakes there. And now you add brakes there and call it a "refurb"... Shame on you, Disney for adding brakes to that location, the ride didn't need to be any slower, was already safe, and now, it's slower, jerkier, and suffice it to say, you've ruined easily my favorite sacred attraction at the MK. Please, Disney remove those brakes- the ride is fine without them!

Again, I'm sure I'm bound to get bashed/flamed for this (I hope I don't), but just wanted to voice my opinion about this change to SM @ the MK.

James122

Wow, so they've added trim brakes to the ride? That blows. I wonder what caused them to want to install the brakes in the first place.

Has there ever been a case where adding trim brakes to the middle of a roller coster didn't negatively affect the ride experience?

Last edited:

DonaldDoleWhip

I also thought the new brakes were extremely noticeable, with the final drop and subsequent finale lacking their previous momentum or sensation of speed. The ride was already a disappointment compared to Disneyland's, but now I have no desire to ride it again.

Maybe in 30 years they'll actually replace the track - in the meanwhile, I'll stick with Rock n' Roller Coaster and Expedition Everest (which is still a fun coaster, even if the yeti is useless).

Sped2424

Wow, so they've added trim brakes to the ride? That blows. I wonder what caused them to want install them in the first place.

Has there ever been a case where adding trim breaks to the middle of a roller coster didn't negatively affect the ride experience?
age, trim brakes will lessen the strain on the track and the foundation if I am not mistaken. the ride is old, and instead of giving it the refurb it needs they are putting a band aid and some tape on a bone that's close to fracturing.

GLaDOS

age, trim brakes will lessen the strain on the track and the foundation if I am not mistaken. the ride is old, and instead of giving it the refurb it needs they are putting a band aid and some tape on a bone that's close to fracturing.

This is exactly the reason it has been done.

They did it wrong in 2009, and now the ride suffers even more for it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom